Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soshh

Master BR: bed on window wall, how to deal with windows?

soshh
16 years ago

Hi all,

We are about to begin renovation on our master bedroom. The only usable wall space for the bed is in a bay, with a center window (straight) flanked by angled narrower windows. The center window, including trim, is about the same size as the queen size bed. The windows extend below the top of the bed. I would like to get an upholstered bed and dress the windows to create a nice focal point. On the walls between the center window and the side windows we have wall hung swing arm lamps which we may or may not change.

Any suggestions or pics to show how to best do this? I will upload a pic of the window wall.

Colors are undecided, but I love white/cream bedding. My night tables are medium cherry, and I was thinking of using grays or gray greens. I don't like florals but would definitely use accents like animal prints, charcoal gray or deep reds, maybe a silvery sage color too.

Comments (24)

• soshh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is the bedroom (peeling wallpaper and all). I pasted in some of the beds I am looking at. The swing arm lamps are hung too high and will be lowered.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Hi Soshh! How is your living room coming along?

I'd try some ideas with fabric. Here's one with a panel along the back or a half-canopy type treatment. Maybe you're going for something more contemporary than this, but it could be translated with your own fabrics and lines :) I think the hanging details with the soffit could be worked out. This is just conceptual:

HTH!

And inset (maybe try a lower headboard):

• soshh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Squirrel,

The living room was painted and that was it. We hired a contractor who is going to redo the fireplace, add the built-ins and separate the space between the entry and sitting area, so I decided to hold off doing too much until the dirty work was done.

This same contractor will do the bathrooms and a little work in the master, so I am trying to work out details.

FWIW, the footboard is part of our existing bed which we intend to change out. In front of the window I want something more solid so we could lean more comfortably. I just got a job at RH so I figured maybe I'd splurge on one of their upholstered beds.

You noticed the soffet, I see. Odd detail, but I will use it to my advantage somehow, using it to create the focal point of the bed/curtains.

I really like the 2nd and 4th options, with the curtains sort of softly pulled showing the light through the window. My concern was having to treat all the windows in the room the same, but I see how you did it in such a way it makes a focal point and I could treat the other windows much more simply, either with wood blinds or roman shades perhaps.

The headboard I photoshopped in position is 70 inches high, so it would make a statement. DH thinks we may need to go with a lower one, but I like the drama!

Where did you pull the cornice from? I love how it emulates a canopy. Would you put the sconces through the fabric? You are right, I think I would use the soffet height for this treatment, as opposed to hanging it in front of the alcove which might make it stick out into the room too much.

Thanks, that really helps. I would love your thoughts about tying a simpler treatment to the other windows. In addition to the ones pictures there is also a triple bank of windows on the wall to the left of the bed. You see this as you enter the room.

• sameboat
    16 years ago

Oh Squirrel you ARE magical!

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

I would do 4 sets of panels, one set on either side of the narrow windows and one set for the large middle window. That way, your bed will be in the middle. Basically covering the walls between the windows and on the far ends with panels.

I think adding sheers in front of each window would be nice too, but if you don't like sheers, maybe a blind to draw at night.

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

I meant 4 panels total, not four sets!

• jade.d
    16 years ago

Here's an option to create a soft and airy canopy. You could do a matching sheer over each side window.

Here is a link that might be useful: ceilingmount rods

• soshh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I def. like Squirrel's concepts. The canopy is a little too frou frou for me.

I haven't been able to find the right cornice or valance online, so I played around with it with just curtain panels.

I am thinking about doing it in soft grays, maybe the bed will be more of a natural linen, with white bedding. I would do patterns on pillows and maybe a bench at the foot of the bed. (To be continued...)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

That looks really beautiful, Soshh. That's what I had in mind with the virtuals above -- they were actually functional drapery panels behind the bed and the pics then showed different drape effects when open.

Sorry I took off and didn't take it all in above yet -- cream bedding :) -- just went back and re-read. I also realized with the side windows -- that soffit is actually pretty deep. How deep is it? Must be at least 18".

Yes you can do the lamps over the fabric, there are lots of pics around. Sometimes a pic is even hung over a layer of fabric, and can look very nice. I guess it depends how much of a backdrop you like behind the bed, and how much of the color in the room (and, of course, budget!) Both look really pretty, imo. I was picturing something light, like shutters or simple lace panels (maybe too girly for some, but maybe fabric covered shades in a light damask or something. Inset to expose the beautiful woodwork). What is the window config in the room, other than the four we can see?

I do like the idea of playing up the headboard window for a dramatic focal point and leaving the other windows simple, esp with the beautiful wood details.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I started drifting around a bit here :) My resources aren't very contemporary, though. Trying four panels and reversing the colors. Still with no privacy! So, I made the valances into shades, and to see one curve -- although when they are pulled down it gets too choppy, I think, and the bed loses focus. Liking the contrasting valance, though, another layer of pull down shades, light like the panels might work.

Don't know if your side tables are new, but I think rounds would work better by not fighting the shape of the window nook.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• soshh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow Squirrel, those are beautiful! A few points:

The alcove/bay is probably 20 inches deep at the big window then angles in. It's almost symmetrical...the wall space facing the right of the big window is an inch or so bigger than the left. It's tighter than you pictured.

My night tables, which are 22 inches wide just fit with the bed. I don't know if I could get DH to give them up. We had this discussion thinking we might go for a king size and he was against it b/c of that. I was thinking I could change out the hardware on the pieces we keep in the room.

We will probably take out the beige berber and redo the wood floor.

We def. need privacy with blinds, or other treatments. The room is in the front of the house and the window on the left is actually a huge triple window. I am not sure I could do all those valances, might look too fussy for me, though I tend to underdecorate I think!!!

I love how you made the ceiling the silver sage color!

Funny, on my other monitor my grays look good but on this one they look like mud! My idea was doing the trim a shade darker than the walls, like BrianA's beautiful Martha inspired kitchen if anyone remembers that.

I thought the dark drapes would be the dramatic statement, but I am also loving your darker walls and lighter curtains.
    Now this will really be hard to decide! What does everyone else think? Imagine if the bed were a natural linen color, the bedding was white/cream with other colors/textures in the pillows. I am thinking I like Squirrel's better. I could probably find a matelasse set, with curtain panels, a bedcover and shams to match.

Thanks Squirrel, it really helps!

• teeda_2006
    16 years ago

Oh, Squirrel and Sossh, I just LOVE the last pictures. I think the simplicity of the white and the sage really makes the elegance of the headboard stand out.

Squirrel, where did you get the pictures of the green print? Is that Country Curtain's sage toile? I'm asking because I'll be redoing my bedroom in the Spring and was thinking of going with that fabric for dust ruffle/pillows/upholstery fabric.

Squirrel, your work just amazes me! Sossh, that headboard is fabulous--let it be the centerpiece!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

You're welcome, glad it's helping!

Thanks for the compliments, Teeda! Yes, I did pull the valance from CC, it was red with three scallops, so I had to modify it but the basics are there.

A triple! What a fabulous room. Are there any windows on the other side? Do you think maybe valances in the bed area and plain on the others? I don't think that would be so busy and would highlight the bed but still be simple.

I think keeping the privacy treatment really simple so it supports and doesn't interfere with the dramatic and elegant bed lines is the way to go. Will they be up or down most of the time?

• sheesh
    16 years ago

What about cellulars for privacy. They are invisible when raised but provide complete privacy when down. They are available as room-darkening, in any color, and even remote control.

The room is going to be fabulous, but I love Squirrel's most recent pics. WOW!

• soshh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all!

The other 2 walls are window-less.

The wall to the right of the bed will have double doors for a closet and a door for the entry from the vestibule (yes, we have a small entry vestibule that will have 3 doorways, a bathroom door, linen closet and the entry to the room in the center).

The wall oppostite the bed will be a solid wall, but no good for the bed because you sort of walk right into it. (I don't like sleeping w. my head near the door, freaked me out when we moved in!). We will have our triple dresser on this wall, maybea mirror or, gasp, a tv above.

The room itself is not huge, only about 14x15 or so.

Re: treatments for privacy...I have this thing, I like to see outside and we need to keep the blinds down most of the time so cellulars will not work for me. I could TRY to do a top down treatment or cafe curtain, so the uppers are open and the lower window is private but I don't know if that will work with the style house in a bedroom. (It's a 1909 Spanish/eclectic Colonial.)

BTW, Squirrel, I LOVE toile, always have. We actually did our last BR with B&W toile curtains and had to leave them (and the toile sofa, we couldn't fit it down the stairs!) when we moved. If I do toile I might stick with the black and white. I already have some BW toile (small) lampshades and might be able to use them in the room somewhere. (Or even in the bathroom)

My husband really likes the deeper walls with the lighter curtains.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here's the linen color headboard and variations on a theme :) I switched over to a damask on the valance, tried the light curtains around the inner windows and on the outside of the nook (like the height better in virtual), tried dark panels around the bed, and! dark panels around the bed, lights around the windows and also framing the nook. Sheers are over the windows and the simplicity is soft and perfect (can put inexp rollers behind them for nightime privacy). Doesn't take away from the bed at all :)

(I hope you don't have dust allergies with all this fabric!)

Linen colored headboard, silver sage all ceilings, wood floors. New silver finish ceiling fan from RH.

Linen colored headboard, silver sage all ceilings, wood floors. Damask on headboard valance. New chandy from RH.

Darker panels around the bed, with green in them -- offset with a lighter color in the bay.

Darker panels around the bed, with green in them -- offset with a lighter color in the bay. Closed.

Darker panels around the bed -- offset with a lighter color in the bay. Closed, grayer panels.

Darker panels around the bed, with green in them -- offset with a lighter color in the bay. Closed, darker panels.

Light curtains around side bay windows, dark panels around the center window.

Light curtains around side bay windows, dark panels around the center window, and light panels framing bay. Wall color lighter and more silver sage.
    {{!gwi}}

• soshh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL Squirrel, we've both been hard at work!

I tried lighter panels but they were'n't cutting it for me so I ended up with this. I like the touch of toile and zebra.

I love yours too, might be too much fabric but I do love the panels flanking the alcove.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Very pretty! and cozy :) I wonder if the lights didn't work because the blinds are dark. Love those toile pillows -- where did you find them?

Is that a real bench or custom?

Love your style!!

• soshh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am not sure about the curtains. I have to see the bed fabrics in person. I am leaning toward the natural linen (for the bed) and want the curtains to contrast it texturally and colorwise. If I found sort of a warm taupy gray in a velvet panel that might be nice and not too dark. I might do off-white blinds underneath in which case the lighter panels might work better. I put the 2 inch faux wood blinds in my girls' rooms (from JCP, really inexpensive) and they are great.

The toile pillows are from Country Curtains, the zebra pillows are from Zgallerie (again!) and the bench, I googled zebra bench and it came up. I love it! Even if I can't find something similar for a reasonable price I could always re-cover an inexpensive bench and paint it out with the distressed black/gold finish.

I am going for a sort of urban eclectic style. Don't know how to describe it, I know I've seen it written but forget the terminology. I tend to like more modern upholstered pieces, simple window treatments and limited patterns. I also like a limited palette of colors if you remember! Grayed down blues and greens, with whites, creams, black, charcoal gray, sometimes golds and always a pop of red. That's what makes me happy these days!

• carolf_erik
    16 years ago

Just a quick thought: If exchanging the bedside tables is off the table, but you like the idea of the round accenting all the lines, you could put a round doily on the square tables. I don't mean one of those lacy Victorian crochet things, but something round, vibrant, in a color of your palette that will pop out. If it is bold/distinctive enough, it will draw the eye and do the same thing as the round tables.

Mind you, I'm not expert. Just a thought

• soshh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here are two more curtain variations. I think I like the bed to stand out more, as it does with the silver sage curtains. I also think it's a nice way to pull the silver sage in without it being too much, since I won't use the panels throughout the room.

I realized I have small metal side tables in my LR. I bought them off ebay last year, they are a sort of an old bronze finish. If we can use our nighttables in our closet maybe I can use these small sidetables as nightstands.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I like the ss one best! and do prefer the lighter blinds -- I was thinking a a bit ago, that with the dark blinds turned open their could be a bold striped pattern conflicting with your headboard lines, imo. It would seem not so much with a light color. Yes, some contrast with the headboard to really set it off :)

I'd try the round tables, but the cross pieces on them might conflict with the zebra bench and overall simplicity, I think. Maybe they could be downplayed with an antiqued silvery finish on that part? I was also wondering about silver mirrored trays on the current ones to lighten and brighten them up a bit? Maybe even ovals?

Love, love, love the soft sage. Velvet sounds scrumptuous!

• soshh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel, mirrored trays, or even just beveled mirrors, maybe in an oval shape? That would be a great idea for the top of the nightstands! I was thinking about changing the knobs to something metal, but I don't know if that would look too busy.

I think I love the SS panels the best too. It brings a touch of color in, in a relatively easy to change thing. RH has gorgeous ones but even BB&B & JCP have lesser expensive ones. I still like the idea of an upholstered cornice but will have to get it made if I think the space needs it.

The bench is something I will have to look into further, I love the idea and it would be really functional.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Maybe check with a glassmaker, as Patricia often suggests -- she says it's actually less exp than pre-mades, not to mention the time saved shopping!

Heaven if those panels are velvet! Love the lantern :)