Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lezard_gw

sewing machine walmart

lezard
15 years ago

(sorry my bad english I'm french canadian)

I bought my fabric to sew my curtain but my sewing machine is broken, I'm angry about it.

I'm from Quebec Canada and for Christmas my husband will give me a new one as gift, so, we will go shopping at Vermont,USA in december if the price it's cheaper than Canada I'm waiting to buy new sewing machine.

Is it someone let me know wich BROTHER SEWING MACHINE Walmart sold-it in store(because the stock in store it's different than I can see in website) and how much, I want pay about $370,00 or less but not less than $150,00.

Let me know the number of the model, please....

Maybe nobody will answer me, but I try to ask it, because for me it's important, I look my fabric and I want sewing it.....So I can wait chrismas if the price is good.

Thanks

Comments (12)

• lkplatow
    15 years ago

My friend recently decided to take up sewing, so I did a lot of research on machines for her. She was just interested in a basic machine, nothing fancy. Apparently, the Brother machines at Walmart aren't supposed to be very good. From the research I did, it seems that Kenmore (sold at sears) are the best, most reliable beginner sewing machines. My friend ended up getting this one - she paid less than $80 for it. I used it when I was teaching her to sew and it sewed like a dream and had pretty much everything you'd need - zipper foot, buttonholer, all the necessary stitches.

What I found even funnier is that it was basically the same setup as my kenmore, which is at least 20 years old. The parts are easy to get and they last a long time.

Good luck!

• annzgw
    15 years ago

The folks over in the sewing forum may be able to guide you as to the best model.

My only worry with waiting until Christmas to buy is that you won't find what you want in the stores. It may be best to order the sewing machine online and make sure you get the model you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: sewing forum

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I wouldn't buy a sewing machine at walmart. I did and it was crap (I paid about 150 for it). How do you say crap in french LOL Ok anyway it was pooh pooh :oP

I just purchased a sewing machine for my mother at Costco. It cost about $180 and honestly it's a machine that comparitively would cost around five hundred. It sews like a dream and I'm a complete sewing machine snob (mine cost over $3500....but I sew heavy items and wanted an embroidery machine as well). If you have a costco, you might check that one out. It's compact (in a good way) and comes with a tray which will be handy when doing your curtains.

It was a Singer brand made for Costco. I'd recommend that, and then I'd also suggest that with the rest of the money, you buy a used baby lock serger. I sew drapes quite often, as well as large quilts and bedding. I do it because I love to :) Back a few years ago I made drapes for my husband's condo all done on a Babylock sewing machine, and they turned out great, but sometimes bulky fabric is a bit of a pain to keep tension correct on a sewing machine. It's also an ok lock stitch to be able to clean the drapes, but you'll have a much better product if you serge the seams first, which is a very very strong seam so they'll hold when cleaned, and then sew the hem and header on your machine. I personally also like to sew down the seam with a machine after it's serged, but it's not necessary. The serger can handle the tension much better than a sewing machine alone, even on a very heavy duty machine (sewing) like mine. The finished product after serging and sewing is great.

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

Buy an older all metal machine. The new ones are junk. (Merde is French for crap.)

Look for anything made before 1985.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Idee, thank you for he Merde LOL but on the all metal thing...my mom said that until she sewed with a modern machine. My Brother is a great deal plastic, but it's by no means junk. In fact it's far from it. The thing sews like a dream, and I really challenge it (I make crazy quilts). I could never do half of what I do with a machine made before 1985.

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

How often will you be using your machine & for what types of sewing? Would it be for occasional home dec projects or would it be something you use weekly? It really makes a difference as to what type of machine you need.

I have 5 sewing machines. A Brother Innovis sewing/embroidery machine, 2 OLD Singers, a Kenmore, and a Janome serger. Make that 6 machines...there's also a Singer treadle upstairs, but I don't use that one. :o)

I love my Brother machine for fine, tight stitches. It's great for lighter fabrics and "small" work. It's my most used machine.

When doing projects with heavy fabrics I whip out the Singer that my DH's great aunt used for her custom drapery business back in the 1950s. That machine can't be beat. The stitching is gorgeous and it can handle any fabric. It's the workhorse of the sewing room and I wouldn't be without it.

• hoosiergirl
    15 years ago

I have been looking for a basic machine for my daughter since she has recently taken an interest in sewing. I came across this article which might help you as well. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Consumer Search Sewing Machine Reviews

• graywings123
    15 years ago

Look on your local craislist to see what is available.

If none, then post an ad in the Household section of your craigslist that you want to buy one. Chances are that you will get a much better used one for that price.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quebec craigslist

• bananafana
    15 years ago

Maybe you should get yours repaired? I have a 30 year old Kenmore and I've had it repaired a couple of times. It wasn't expensive. I think the biggest amount was $90. I don't want to learn a new machine, so I will repair this one until it's shot. Usually the fabric stores have a service where they can get your sewing machine repaired.

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

While the new ones, esp. at the higher price point, can do far more, for most basic home sewers the extra bells and whistles mean there's more to go wrong. Check out the home sewing forum.

• dazi
    15 years ago

Lezard-I bought Brother machine from Walmart maybe 5 yrs ago-worth every penny-I sew curtains, tablecloths,etc. Christmas gifts. Mine is VX1120 Brother. Less than $100.at that time. Goodluck finding one. Straight stitch, zigzag and others I still haven't mastered! Still runs great.---

• lezard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I read all of your advice, I took my decision, I will buy Brother CS-6000i at U.S.A. Walmart, the same sewing machine in Quebec cost $400,00.

To fix my old Kenmore 1990, 22 stichs is more than $120,00.

Thanks

I'll send you the picture of my new curtains after Christmas