Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

My Sat. morning project: gallery wall

Sueb20
10 years ago

I recently did some rearranging in my home office. There used to be a loveseat and tall narrow bookcase on this wall, but now the only thing here (which I am not showing in this pic!) is a dog crate and a dog bed. I share the room w/ 3 dogs...

I already had several things hanging on this wall, and I just added a bunch more this morning. The pictures are a mishmash of photos, kids' art, a new 2014 (!) calendar which I made DH bring home last night so I could account for it in the spacing, a wood piece that I've been hanging onto forever but haven't found a spot for, a couple of Derian plates...basically everything I had but hadn't found a spot for. The only "people" who really use this room are three dogs and me, with the occasional visit by one of my kids or DH, so the wall doesn't have to please anyone but me! But I'm showing it off here anyway, since I know we've had a few discussions about gallery walls.

Anyone else with a Sat. morning decorating project?

Comments (15)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Nice!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Love it! :)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also got DH to hang the mirror in the newly-painted powder room. I had my heart set on an oval mirror but couldn't find one I loved. Then I "found" this in our attic -- I don't even remember where it came from but with the hook-ish things on the side, pretty sure it was on top of a dresser. I like its quirkiness.

• mama-sweetT
    10 years ago

FuN wall!! I like it a lot! I need to do that with pieces I have picked up here n there that I enjoy.. Would make me happy to look at Plus help to declutter my storage!

Also love the mirror... Much better than a new one !

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Great project. Not to rain on your parade (it's pouring rain outside) but for the calender - is there anyway that it could be put into a black frame, with or without glass. Even if it was just for me, everything else is tied so nicely together with the black frames and it's sort of to the side without one.

The bathroom mirror looks great. The feel and look of it seems to match your pedestal sink and taps. Nice repurposing.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Wow! You had a wonderfully productive morning. Love both projects. Your gallery wall really looks terrific. How nice to find a mirror at home that looks so perfect-even the little attachments look good-adds the quirkiness that I like!

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

Wow, that's quite a project...with great success.

And as someone who is consistently trying to rid my house of "stuff", how great to reuse that mirror.

• salonv
    10 years ago

Wow- that gallery wall looks great- I am wondering what you had started with- did anything stay where it was and you added around it or is everything newly situated?

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love your gallery wall! Your mirror is absolutely perfect and way better than new!

• countryatheart
    10 years ago

Sueb-your gallery wall looks great. What a nice way to use all those pieces that otherwise wouldn't fit in other places in our homes. Similar frames is what ties it all together. Thanks for the idea! Your bathroom mirror also looks perfect there.

• User
    10 years ago

LOVE that wall!

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Love it! I think we could call these 'Things we like to look at' walls too. Love the calendar. I keep framed calendar pages in my kitchen and have for years (2 months at a time). It's a fun way to keep some art work rotating thru and practical for us.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

That really looks great.

Whenever I see a gallery wall I think "I want to do that." There are two big things holding me back.

First, I've never hung a picture straight, no matter how hard I try. To get a whole grouping right, after first choosing the perfectly blended things to hang, is just impossible to me.

Two, since my cleaning lady quit and I am now totally responsible for maintenance around here, I can't bear the thought of dusting them.

But oh, how I admire them.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hh, my secret is not to overthink it...I just start somewhere, decide as I go how far to hang things apart, and just keep going 'til it feels done! At least that's what I did here.

Most of the items on the right half of the wall were there, so I just started by hanging the left-most items and then filled in from there.

• fillagirl
    10 years ago

Looks great, so jealous of people who can just do it!