Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Need help from crafty wreath makers...

Sueb20
9 years ago

I have had this photo saved since last year, when I wanted to make it but I couldn't find the right type of eucalyptus. Yesterday at my local Trader Joe's, I happened to be browsing thru the floral bouquets and stumbled on 3 big bunches of this eucalyptus! (Can't remember right now what it's called.)

So, how do I make this wreath? I can't tell if they have used any kind of metal wreath form here (like just a simple metal ring) or if it's simply just the branches wired together somehow. Any suggestions? It looks like it should be easy, but I don't want to screw it up since I don't know if I can get any more of the eucalyptus!

It doesn't look perfectly round, so I am guessing there's no wire form behind it.

Comments (6)

• catkin
    9 years ago

Probably a simple metal ring--like a macrame ring! A wire hanger may work. If you cover the ring with that stretchy florist's tape (comes in a light green and brown, too), you may have an easier time keeping the greens from sliding around, which can be frustrating.

For a fuller wreath, you could make mini bouquets of greens in a length that is pleasing to you--the more stems you put in each bouquet, the fuller the end product. In that case, you wire on one bunch, twist the wire tight, cut, then place the tips of the next bunch over the previous' stem ends so the blunt end doesn't show--moving around till the ring is completely covered. I'd bet there are many Youtube videos showing this and other methods of wreath making!

To replicate the pic, it appears as if they've used single stems for a simpler look. To fasten, use paddle wire, securing the branches as you go. It's unclear if they used one length of wire around the entire ring. Only use as much wire as necessary in order to disguise the *mechanics*. Wire comes in dark green which may be a good choice. HTH!

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I doubt that it needs a ring. Submerge the stems completely in warm (not cold or piping hot) water. Maybe fill the bath. Let them soak a couple of hours, This is to help make the stems more flexible. In Bonsai you slowly shape and bend a stem to make a curve, pinching between thumb and forefinger of both hands and bending the stem only slightly and moving down to bend a little once again etc. The idea isn't to make the 'perfect curve', but coax them along a little before you start. These stems should really curve okay without much help.

Lay the stems in front of you all going in the same direction. The stems must always be going in the same direction. Place one stem next to the other, only half way up, and wrap green florist wire (about 26-30 gauge) around a couple of times to secure the base of the second stem to the middle of the first then spiral wrap the wire up, going between leaf stems to secure the two stems together, forcing a slight bend in the stems as you go, At half way up, attach the next stem in the same way as the first at it's base. You will be wrapping 3 stems for a while, spiral warp up again and then lose the first stem before you get to the top of it. continue adding stems this way, working a curve until you get to the middle of the last stem. Over lap the top of the last stem with the bottom of the first stem. This will determine the size of your wreath. The actual woody stems of the plant material should be self supporting and need no extra wire support.

Please refer back to your photo and note how one bottom end of a stem sort of sticks out at the top, this shows how close to the bottom the stems are joined.

But you can fashion extra support with 18-22 gauge green florist wire, which you coil into a couple rings using the size of the above wreath as a guide, and then attach it to the back of the wreath with 26-30 gauge florist wire.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 10:26

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I don't think they did use a ring, but that would make it easier. I would buy a ring from a local florist or craft supply and then use floral wire.

Pretty.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Really helpful, thank you both! I'm going to attempt it this weekend, I think.

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Sueb ~ I saw this post and thought of you :

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.songbirdblog.com/homemade-leaf-wreath/

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I love how she's hung it on the old door like that, too.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!