Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Storing paper napkins?

Annie Deighnaugh
9 years ago

I have lots of decorative paper napkins. Some are luncheon size, but most are cocktail. Some are holiday or season specific. Any suggestions on how to store them so they are easily selected for color, kept clean and unwrinkled yet easily accessed? I'm thinking maybe stacking them on end in a narrow box...sometimes they are part packs, sometimes multiple packs...sometimes odds and ends.

What do you do?

xpost with organizing forum

Comments (14)

• bpath
    9 years ago

My cocktail napkins are in a drawer of the buffet, standing on end from front to back of the drawer. It is so easy to see what I want and grab a few even from the back without messing things up. But the height of the drawer is just right for the cocktail napkins. Regular-sized napkins just don't seem to accumulate, because any leftovers we use for daily use.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Sorry I have no good advice, but I will tell you that when we downsized and moved in 2012 I discarded piles of napkins that were left over from my then 28 year old son's bar mitzvah (1997) . Maybe if I'd found a better way to store them, I would have used them up by 2012!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Mine are on a fairly shallow shelf in our utility room. I have one shelf for the napkins and they are sorted by size and more or less by holiday. I can see the stack at a glance, they stay flat, and I can grab whatever I need. Other shelves (they are adjustable) are used for paper plates, plastic cups, and other products we use for entertaining.

When the grand-daughters were little, I'd give them a few leftover cocktail napkins for their tea parties so if you know someone with little ones, they might love to have them. I had some pink ones from a shower or something or other and they really loved those at lunch too.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I very seldom buy paper anymore. The ones I have left are in ziplock bags to keep them nice until I use them up.

For the last party I threw, I bought a bunch of inexpensive cloth napkins off etsy. And we have been using them as our everyday napkins ever since (I had previously used cloth anyway, they were older ones left from a baby shower we gave in 2002.). I figure we will get a few years of use out of them as napkins, then a few more as rags and we will have come out way ahead on cost and been a bit "green" too. Plus people seem to think the cloth is so fancy when we have guests.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

How about in ziplock bags to keep them clean and then have the bags in a box. You can rummage through to find the ones you want without messing up the rest of the napkins.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Mine just go in clear plastic bins in the bulk pantry. Same thing with leftover plastic utensils, plates, and cups. While I try not to use disposable stuff often, it only takes a few events for it to start piling up.

I actually just gave DIL a bunch of stuff that was left-over from her baby shower... to use at GD's 1st birthday last week. She was shocked I still had it a year later.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I store them in freezer ziploc bags which are then stored in the paper plate and napkin tote. Cutlery and cups get their own tote. Lots of paper napery bits and pieces here. The napkins stay nice, no creasing, crinkling, etc.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

I'm another one who has some in a plastic bin with my red solo cups and paper plates.

I don't know why I am saving them? We don't use printed napkins anymore. The red solo cups we do use, as needed.

ML

• nhb22
    9 years ago

I keep mine in a cabinet in the Butler's Pantry. Some are in their original boxes, some in baggies and the ones that were used last are in cocktail caddy. I keep my everyday white dinner napkins, flat, in a brass holder on my counter top.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

:) @ sjhockeyfan's post.

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

My method is simple but effective in my pantry that has wire shelves(small items fall thru). I reuse clementine orange boxes! The napkins are protected from wrinkles,etc. High tech,huh?

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I have a large drawer in my hutch where I store paper goods. Plates, cups, forks, napkins, and paper towels.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

RBS, that's great. I'm big into recycling and those boxes are cute, sturdy and come in handy.

I wish my hutch was large enough like oakley and bpathome, but as big as it is, it is already full of linen napkins, napkin rings and dishes up the wazoo!