Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Christmas 2012 Decoratons

Oakley
11 years ago

Here's the annual Christmas decor topic for everyone to add their pictures. Even if you've done one thing or a 100, please share your pictures!

My manTEL. :) Pretty much the same as last year.

Comments (150)

• igloochic
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

LOL Oakey...I actually have those coming out my ears! Come on down and pick one up :p

• rafor
    11 years ago

Annie: love that your Mom made a wreath from your wedding dress fabric!

I have to steal this one as I have my Mom's wedding dress and it has a long satin train. I've been trying to come up with some ideas to make with that fabric and all I could come up with were pillows. Now you gave me a great new idea!!! My parents have been married for 64 years so far. I think that marriage will take:)

• Jaime
    11 years ago

bac717- Thank you so much! It was ridiculously easy to make. I just used a 4x5 canvas dropcloth from the Home Depot cut into an oval with the center cut out and a slit cut from the middle opening to the edge. I sewed some matching grosgrain ribbon onto each side of the slit to tie it around the tree. Then I cut the linen into strips and glued it on with a hot glue gun. I started at the outer edge and made the gathers by hand...then I just overlapped the rows a bit to hide the previous row's edge. Ha ha...clear as mud? It is pretty rudimentary, but it is holding up quite well.

As far as the burlap's odor, I bought mine from a fabric store so there wasn't an overwhelming odor to begin with. What smell there was, has dissipated rather quickly. If it were me, I'd probably either stick it in a bag with some baking soda, or possibly just see if maybe a good dousing of Febreze would work. If not, perhaps you'll have to just do what nobody likes to do...be patient. ;)

Thank you, alex! There's not much skill involved...a hot glue gun works wonders, as long as you're not particularly attached to your fingerprints. Ouch! :)

Annie- I absolutely LOVE the wreath made out of your wedding dress material. Not only is it gorgeous, it has such a special background. Definitely a treasure.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Aside to rafor: another suggestion....I was going to cut up my (our*) wedding gown to remake into a christening gown for GF's granddaughter, but I didn't have the guts....maybe I will for her next grand child.....

--------------------
    *GF wore my wedding gown when she married 4 months after I did, only she didn't like my sleeves, so Mom made a different set of sleeves for her....when we had the gown preserved, it was probably the only gown with 2 sets of sleeves they ever saw!

• vsalzmann
    11 years ago

We are doing an Alice in wonderland Christmas because we're all mad here. This is my mad hatter tree.

• vsalzmann
    11 years ago

Close up of the top.

• vsalzmann
    11 years ago

And my red queen tree.

• kswl2
    11 years ago

Loving all these! Those Alice trees are very clever, vsalz, and everything else is lovely in GW-land :-) Annie, your bridal wreath is really special.

• rafor
    11 years ago

How cute are those Alice trees!!!!! Love the hat and clock as a tree topper. And the red cards, how clever. Mad never looked so good!

This post was edited by rafor on Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 6:17

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

vsalz...fabulous idea, and so well executed! Love it!

• vsalzmann
    11 years ago

You can do it too. For red queen tree, you need red roses, a crown, heart ornaments, chess pieces, and a frog jester.

• kellyeng
    11 years ago

I have to show my sister's front entry, she did such a good job!

{{gwi:1866715}}

{{gwi:1866716}}

{{gwi:1866717}}

{{gwi:1866718}}

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Finally was able to snap a decent photo of the tree. My decorations aren't nearly as fabulous as others here. Enjoying seeing all of them. Wish we had that snow!

{{gwi:1866720}}

{{gwi:1866722}}

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Vsalz, I love your Alice-themed trees...very clever ideas.

KellyEng, your sister did do a nice job. The owls mixed with the natural greenery make for an interesting arrangement.

Schoolhouse, I love the look of your house. It looks like someplace I would like to spend a few hours curled up with a book and a nice cup of hot chocolate. You've used beautiful colors and the light through the window is spectacular.

• kswl2
    11 years ago

Annie, I am waiting for a picture of a wreath on your outhouse!

• deegw
    11 years ago

Fun! This thread is like looking at a magazine. We have a new house this year and all our stuff has been in storage. So this is a "building" year for me.

I purchased this for my picket fence near the street. I'm not sure if we will keep the fence and I'm wouldn't be surprised if it disappeared so I was glad that it was inexpensive. It looks great with a little fluffing.

My wreath and garland are on my front door. I'll do the fireplace tomorrow and we will do the tree on Sunday when my daughter comes home from college.

This post was edited by deee on Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 19:15

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Thanks Fun2BHere, I just realize looking at the photos again that I have that small musical xmas clock on the wall (on the right in the first photo and behind the tree in the second). The schoolhouse clock that normally hangs there is down for repair. I was winding it last month and suddenly heard a "ping"! The spring broke after all these years.

Like the pine decoration for your picket fence deee. I created something similar for my garden gate.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

LOL, kswl! Hadn't even thought of it...I do have a cinnamon broom hanging in there for the fragrance....I suppose I could add some greenery and a red ribbon....hmmm.....

I'm so impressed with all the fabulous decorations here...so wonderful and so different. You all are very talented!

• nhb22
    11 years ago

My, my, my!!! There are so many beautiful decorations on this thread, that I cannot comment on all of them individually. I especially love the Christmas owls. What a HOOT! I did something similar with the natural greenery in pots, but it doesn't look half as good this year as it did last, so I am not posting a daytime pic.

I just want to thank the person who started this thread. Helps to cheer me up! Like someone else mentioned, I was not in the decorating mood this year as I have lost both of my parents within 5 months. This holiday season has been hard, and I have had to push myself to decorate. :( Took me almost a week from the time we brought our tree in the house and to get it all decorated. It looks terrible, as the tree has wide gaps and not enough lights and ornaments for it's tall size. We bought it through a fundraiser for our church, so my husband keeps telling me to think of what good we did, and not focus on the look. :)

OK, here are my decorations with labels.

Outside at Night

The Tree

With the dog, Riley.

Waiting for Santa

You can see how tall (10.5') the tree is.

My Santa collection - A few were my mothers, like the large Paper Mache Santa

My mothers angel collection

My mother loved Cardinals and this hand carved Cardinal was in her Christmas closet. I have it sitting on an old brass firebox that belonged to my parents. The Cardinal watches over us.

Fireplace mantel - I normally stick in fresh magnolia, but sadly, my magnolia tree died over the summer. I made the mantel skirt out of velvet for my mothers mantel many years ago. It doesn't quite fit mine.

My dining room table decor

The silver punchbowl belonged to my grandmother. I have 25 silver punch cups, as well. This silver set was gifted to me after my parents passing. Some of the ball ornaments were handmade by my grandmother. Have some on the tree, too

Chandelier - Once again, I usually put in fresh greenery on table and chandelier. I may add some fir pine latter.

One of my favorite Nativities made of hand cut & punched tin

And finally, the back patio - I used a similar photo for our Christmas card this year. Has Riley in it. :) The backside of the fireplace has a wreath with spotlight for the neighbors to enjoy.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Newhomebuilder, sorry about your mother.

You have a most beautiful home and space, decorations look wonderful - and what a big tree! Especially love that photo "Waiting for Santa". Everything looks beautiful.

• kswl2
    11 years ago

Beautiful Christmas decorations, NHB! I love that metal nativity set you have outdoors... is it pressed tin? Could you share its provenance? I have a strong interest in unusual nativity sets and yours is wonderful and unique.

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

NHB, I have a (smaller) Santa collection too! I like having them all clustered together although I need to get going and collect some more. A few of mine were my mother's, too, and she actually made one of them in a ceramics class. Excuse the lousy iPad photo.

• nhb22
    11 years ago

Thank you, schoolhouse.

kswl- I wish that I could help you. I have been looking for years for the pressed tin set like I have. I wanted to give them as gifts. My sister bought it from a shop in Winston-Salem, NC. They have sense gone out of business. The little set folds up and fits inside of a small tin box for storage.

Sue20 - I really have too many Santas and have vowed not to pick up anymore this year. In the past, I have bought 1-2 a year. I don't have anymore room on my sofa table for more. I also have some Russian stack Santas sitting on my den columns.

BTW - Does anyone know how I can make my photos smaller? I use Photobucket and they have changed their website. For some reason, the photos are posting larger, and I also have no idea why two of mine posted rotated, after I had fixed them on the site.

• teeda
    11 years ago

NHB--sorry to veer off topic, but could you tell me the breed of your adorable dog? Is it a Jack Russell? I ask because we recently adopted a rescue dog we met while on vacation in Vieques, Puerto Rico. She is some kind of mix, but looks amazingly like your dog. Some people have suggested she's a Jack Russell /Chihuahua mix, but she seems a little big (25 pounds). By the way, your decorations are gorgeous--I particularly love the vintage red cloaked angel figurines--I have some similar ones that were my grandmothers. Love this thread--wish I could contribute but we undergoing a major remodel and basically living in the basement!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

NHB, all of your decorations are stunning. My favorite are the angels. How old do you think they are? Would you look on the bottom of them and see if there's any writing there? I'd love to find some for myself!

• nhb22
    11 years ago

Thank you for the kind words. The angels belonged to my grandmother before my mother had them. They were made in the late 60's, so not too terribly old. If you can find them, they usually go for around $25-$50. Normally hard to find, but a few pop up during the Christmas season as shown in the links below.

Currently up for bid - Better hurry!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOEBEL-MUSICAL-CHRISTMAS-GIRL-FIGURINE-HX-328-1966-ANGEL-CANDLE-/190767171498?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item2c6a9c07aa

Be careful, some seem to be missing their musical parts, but still pretty.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Beautiful-Porcelain-Goebel-Sacrart-Angel-Candle-Holder-Figurine-Style-Bee-/290827279568?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item43b6a81cd0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Beautiful-Porcelain-Goebel-Sacrart-Angel-Candle-Holder-Figurine-Style-Bee-/290827279568?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item43b6a81cd0

And then there are sellers that think their figurine is more valuable than others
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOEBEL-MUSICAL-CHRISTMAS-GIRL-FIGURINE-HX-328-1966-VERY-NICE-/150961789794?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item2326061b62
    On eBay, but not sold. You could write the listing agent. There was another that sold for $51 + shipping.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOEBEL-MUSIC-BOX-ANGEL-CANDLE-HOLDER-1966-HX328-WITH-V-MAPSA-Silent-Night-FINE-/251190883312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item3a7c24b3f0&nma=true&si=VYyFbTK%2BfPIF7wgAnfiXx%2BqtvSs%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This blue angel is up for bid, now. Different.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-HUMMEL-GOEBEL-VTG-MUSICAL-WIND-UP-ANGEL-CANDLEHOLDER-FIGURINE-HX-328-/140895505920?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D4128206632746939083%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D4%26sd%3D251174466443%26

You can copy and paste the links, or do a search on Google or eBay.

WMA89 - My dog is a JRT. She is a tall legged, short and smooth coat. She weighs around 22 lbs, mostly muscle, but some fat and a large tumor on her side. Riley is 13 years old and spoiled rotten! Enjoy your new dog.

• VictoriaElizabeth
    11 years ago

So much creativity and variety!
    Every year, I vow to start earlier with the decorating, but I never do!

More pictures of our dining room.

Front porch decorations.

• tinam61
    11 years ago

New Home Builder - so sorry to hear about your parents. I remember one of them was having some health issues. I had no idea what had happened. I am so very sorry. The "first" everything is so hard after losing a loved one. I hope past memories will help comfort you during this holiday season. How wonderful that you have some of your parent's things to bring into your own home.

VictoriaElizabeth - lovely decorations!! I love all the mercury glass.

tina

• nhb22
    11 years ago

VictoriaElizabeth - Love your blog!

Tina - Thank you for your kind words. Yes, my father had a few health problems, but we just never think the end will come. Such a shock with losing both in such a short time. Very fortunate to have had my parents and equally fortunate to have things divided among my siblings and the 6 grandchildren.

polly929 - My condolences to you. ;)

• roarah
    11 years ago

I kept it simple and relinquished all control to my kindergartener this year. She found the fake poinsettias last year and had to have them:) She even made the swag herself. It is not perfect but I love it! Everyone has such beautiful holiday homes. Thanks for letting us in:)

• igloochic
    11 years ago

New home, so sorry about your losses. That's hard! I'm glad you did finally find the spirit to decorate though, because you brought us joy in sharing. I particularly liked the punch bowl (OMG!) full of the beaded ornaments. I have a huge collection of those my grandmother made so I may be stealing that look next year. It's a lovely way to show them off and make them "special". The bird on the trunk is one of those unexpected, ahhh sweet, moments :)

I must admit to a severe envy of ya'll outdoor decorations. I live on a bluff and the wind is intense so I can only put out what can be nailed down and even then it tends to fly this time of year. I stick to lots of fir boughs stuck in the planters and some lights but I can't do the gorgeous urns or owls like have been shared above and I SO want to!

schoolhouse...don't knock your ornaments as they match two of my trees LOL I love their soft look myself. They are my favorite trees. Are yours family pieces or did you collect them on your own?

Oh and BTW...screw the tree...what color is that fabulous FABULOUS green wall????? I must own that color!!!! It's beyond devine!!!!! Umm did I say screw the tree???? Heh heh I get carried away by a good green :p

• nhb22
    11 years ago

Very sweet of you, thank you.

I know what you mean about the wind. We get some pretty good ones up on our hill. Luckily, nothing since I decorated this year. Been a weird winter so far.

• dawnp
    11 years ago

Newhomebuilder and schoolhouse -

Found one of your tin Nativity sets on Ebay for $10 with free shipping!

Here is a link that might be useful: Nativity

• dawnp
    11 years ago

Oh, and here is a link to new ones!

Here is a link that might be useful: Nativity in a box

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, NHB! I'll be putting the links in my Fave Places to start working on next year. I accidentally broke all of my mom's Goebels one day when the shelf fell over. :(

But I still have her Goebel wine glasses. Have you seen those before?

Here's a picture of one of them, I have the whole set.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummel

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

NHB, hugs and condolences to you on losing your parents. I know how hard it is to feel festive again...it took almost 2 years after Mom passed before I was able to get into it again, even though I know she loved life, laughter and fun and would never want us to skip a moment of that, especially over her.

You've done a fabulous job decorating....

• nhb22
    11 years ago

dawnp - How in the world did you find those! I do a search every year (haven't this year lol). Thank you so much! To clarify, I have the large set. I may order the small set for my grandbaby due to arrive in May. The sets are a little more expensive then I thought they would be, so I need to think carefully about who I would like to give them to.

oakleyok - You're welcome! Oh, and the wine glasses are very pretty.

AnnieDeighnaugh - You made me cry this morning. You are so right. You described my mother to a T! My mother loved Christmas and would not want us to be sad. Thanks for that!

• kswl2
    11 years ago

Gosh, thanks dawnp for finding that link to the new tin Nativity set! I did find one on ebay but would rather have a new one to give as a gift.

Roarah, I think your kindergartener has a lot of decorating moxie--- Those vases on the stairs are great design!

• nhb22
    11 years ago

The one on eBay has some rust, but I placed a bid on it anyway. There are some others that have color on them. I cannot tell if they came that way, or if they have been colored with markers.

• dawnp
    11 years ago

So glad to help!

There are others sets for sale on the internet that are colored so I would think the Ebay sets are not colored by the seller. They are nice too!

I found the sets by searching "Tin Nativity in a Box".

Dawn

• texasbet
    11 years ago

Three French hens
    Two turtle doves
    And a parrot in a Christmas tree.

• kswl2
    11 years ago

Is that a real parrot?

• texasbet
    11 years ago

Yep and we have two more.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

NHB.....re: your silver spoon collection. Mind if I ask what the box is lined with, and is it also covering the sides or just the back?? I have several similar spoons inherited from MIL and would like to get them out of the drawer.
    Thanks!

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

bettydee, I love your parrot! What wonderful pets for the right person. Personally they're too noisy for me but I do think they're great!! I'll bet he's having a ball on that tree! Thanks for sharing.

• yborgal
    11 years ago

Goodness, it seems I've been away for a Lifetime, but I still see the names of familiar online friends.

Merry Christmas to all of you.

This is our tree this year, much smaller than in past years, but much easier to decorate.

• franksmom_2010
    11 years ago

WOW! Everyone has such beautiful decorations!

I bought a new tree this year. I was tempted to wait until the after-Christmas sales, but I'm so glad that I didn't! Our tree isn't very luxurious and ornate, but we love it! I decorated the whole thing in silver balls with a tiny handful of crystal. There's everything on there from plastic glitter balls from the dollar store to very old mercury glass.

If anyone is looking for a new tree, I can highly recommend the "Donner Fir" from Walmart. 7.5' tall, 56" wide, and $98. It's not pre-lit, but it has a mix of various lengths of needles and bottle brush branches on each limb.

My other new find is those scented sticks you hang on the tree. The cats usually gnaw on the limbs and play with the ornaments, but I guess they don't like the scent, because they've left it alone.

• kswl2
    11 years ago

Wonderful pets, Betty, and so beautifully colored!

• texasbet
    11 years ago

Thanks, all. Our birds are fun, but yes, they are noisy. We really don't let them play in the tree. He just got startled and ended up there. As far as home decorating goes, we do sacrifice a little bit for the sake of the birds. They have play stands, large cages, etc. they need. We do have a separate room for them and their things.

But back on subject, this really is a fun thread, I check two or three times a day for new photos. Everyone's decorations are so pretty!

• nhb22
    11 years ago

annz - The spoons are in a simple shadow box from Michael's or from any other craft store. The back and sides are lined with a short napped fuzzy board. The spoons stick on with velcro that I believe came with the frame. Surprisingly, in the 10 years since they have been framed, I have never had to take them out and polish them. However, a few have follen down, like the one on the bottom left.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner