Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pammyfay

Places to get honeycomb blinds?

pammyfay
10 years ago

A couple of years ago, I purchased a small one for my front door from Smith & Noble.

I now need another one for my kitchen windows because I just had my windows replaced and the new ones eat up a bit more "head" space (or whatever the technical term is that refers to how much depth you have for an inside install, rather than an outside one). There is slightly under 1 inch of depth for an inside mount, so I'm not even sure that's enough.

The previous shade -- 70x70 -- was one long one that covered 2 side-by-side double-hung windows.

I'd rather one long one than 2 individual ones side-by-side.
I also would like a top-down option, which I had on the previous shade (I think that was a Hunter Douglas).

I'll check Smith & Noble's options, and Next Day Blinds. What other sources would you check? I'm wary of Home Depot and Lowe's -- should I not be? Costco?

Comments (15)

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I suspect that you mean a bottom-up option.

I have used a couple on-line retailers - justblinds.com and blindsgalore.com

• pammyfay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, my previous shade had a top-down option -- I could lower the shade so that I had sunlight coming in from the top third or half or any place in between while still having coverage on the bottom portion. (A good thing esp in the morning, when some of us are still in their PJs or robe, or late at night -- my kitchen is in the front of the house, and when I'm fixing something to eat very late at night, after I come home from work, I don't particularly want an audience.)

Or, I could raise the shade from the bottom, as in a traditional shade. And I could do both at the same time, so that the shade covered the middle portion of the windows.

Here's a photo that shows you how I could use my shade:

Here is a link that might be useful: asistuw.org

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I ordered wood blinds from blindsgalore.com. They also carry honeycomb shades and are having a sale right now til the 18th..up to 53% off. They had excellent customer service....I screwed up my order and they worked with me to do a valance that would fit properly. Very happy with the blinds and the company!

Here is a link that might be useful: blindsgalore.com

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I don't know if there's a franchise near you, but I have used Budget Blinds in two different states and have been very pleased. They will come to you w/ samples, do the measuring, and they install the blinds too. It's all part of the price so I don't think DIY is an option with them.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I've ordered blinds/cellular shades thru HD and Lowes and have had no problems. I always ask when they'll have their next sale and usually find the total cost is the same as online.

An online merchant I've used and would recommed: yourblinds.com

• graywings123
    10 years ago

What was I thinking? You are right, it's a top-down option. Duh.

• lolauren
    10 years ago

I ordered from Select Blinds, and they would probably be ok if your order didn't have an issue. They sent me the wrong features on my products and then suggested I pay for the replacement product including shipping. Umm, what? Also, they said they would ship one bracket that was missing, and I never received it. My (polite) follow-up emails were not answered. So, I angrily do not recommend them because of terrible customer service.

• mamaspoon
    10 years ago

I just did my whole house using Hunter Douglas top down/ bottom up honeycomb blinds. Costco carries Hunter Douglas- they send their preferred decorator to help you select fabric, do the measurements and completes the order. A professional installer comes our to set them up. Prices are absolutely fantastic and includes everything.

• lucas_tx_gw
    10 years ago

We've ordered from blinds.com a number of times and completely problem free each time.

• justsaying
    10 years ago

I tried to get Hunter Douglas to come out but the "rep" warned me over the phone that it would be $$. When she asked for the measurement on one of my windows she quoted roughly $400 FOR ONE WINDOW! These aren't big windows, just standard size. I went with Bali from Steve's Blinds and I have been happy with them. In a guest room I went cheap with double cell from JCP and they are OK but for $60 more (for 2 windows) I should have just done the Bali. I'm afraid to pull on the JCP blinds, they don't feel they they will hold up for long.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I've ordered twice from blinds.com, both honeycomb blinds & wood blinds. Good experience both times.

• sherry326
    10 years ago

One of the windows I'm redoing is also 70" wide.

I am currently waiting for an order from Blinds.com after a disastrous experience with Select Blinds. I ordered just one window shade from them. They say on the front page of their website that they are the highest rated blind company and the blind I ordered received very positive reviews.

Here's the thing - apparently they only post 5 star reviews with a very occasional 4 star mixed in. The reviews posted described the blind I received inaccurately. The review I wrote will never end up on their website. At least I only ordered the one $200 shade.

So, fingers crossed my blinds.com order will arrive and be a better experience because this order is over $2000 and I have a lot more windows to do if we are happy.

I forgot about Smith and Noble, they used to have some really nice stuff on their website.

• corgimum
    10 years ago

I have used justblinds.com for honeycomb shades. The set in the bathroom has one top down/bottom up shade. They have been up for 10 years and still look great. We also have a set on our French doors. We wore out the cords and they replaced them for free.

• pammyfay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for more opinions.
    For the JCP warning, esp -- was thinking about going there today, but maybe I'll hold off on that.

I'd really like to find a reasonable place that'll come out and measure, too -- my inside-mount space is just borderline for me to decide inside vs. outside.

Next-Day Blinds comes out (part of the service), but the price for the name-brand it stocks was really, really high (for this width), and its in-house brand didn't have a top-down option (if I understood the salesman correctly).

Meanwhile, these paper shades that are up are gonna fall down any day now.

Does anybody know how many inches beyond the window width an exterior mount should go?

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County