Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Help with painted furniture project

violetwest
10 years ago

So I found this unusual nightstand thing for $15. It's not "fine furniture" it's basically chipboard and laminate so not ruining it by painting it a glossy purple.

Planning to use a spray primer then paint, and cleaning the hardware. My dilemma is that everyone I show it to says I should stain the raised design to bring out the detail and I don't know how to do that. Advice, please

This post was edited by Violet.West on Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 12:39

Comments (15)

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a close up of the detail. Yes it's dusty 'cause I haven't cleaned it yet

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, crap - sorry about the sideways image- forgot my phone was doing this to me. Trying again- this time with bonus model!

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

You could use a glaze after painting if you want to highlight the detail. I used General Finishes water-base glaze over a hutch that I painted with a water-based Benjamin Moore color. Here's a link: Painted and glazed hutch project

Prime your piece before painting. Also, make sure the paint is fully cured before glazing. Then just wipe on the glaze and wipe off with a slightly damp rag, varying your technique depending on how much glaze you want left on the surface. Keep extra rags (I used folded up cheesecloth) and a large bowl of clean water handy so you can keep rinsing them out. My hutch was very large, so I went through several rags and bowls of water!

Be sure to protect your glazed piece by finishing with a few coats of sealant. I think I used a General Finishes polyacryclic product in a matte or satin finish.

I wanted a slight glaze on the flat surfaces and more left in the crevices. If you wipe off too much, not enough, or don't have the look you want you have a bit of time to wipe everything off and try again, or reapply in the areas needing more glaze. You could also use a highlight or pinstriping method if you want glaze in the details only.

This post was edited by juddgirl2 on Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 13:03

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

That piece has GREAT potential!

Are you really painting it purple? If so, what shade? Usually a darker color is rubbed over carvings to make them stand out. It'll go in the recesses and then you wipe it away from the higher points. You can find small bottles of a water based 'antique glaze/stain' in the acrylic paint selection of craft stores.

I asked about the purple as I wondered how dark the paint itself would be. The glaze does change the color of the underlying paint, if you don't wash or wipe it off areas you may not want it on. The sites in the link below may help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: antiquing painted furniture with glaze

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

Here's a post that shows pictures of two dressers I painted for DD's room. You have to scroll down to see the pictures.

I wanted very little glaze left on the flat surfaces for these pieces, so I wiped almost everything off except for the crevices.

Juddgirl2 Painted Dressers

This post was edited by juddgirl2 on Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 13:06

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ooh, helpful responses--I will look at the links. I have some glaze lying around, hmm.

Yes, I was planning a dark purple, to go into my bedroom which has a lot of deep jewel tones.

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

how about just rubbing a little rub n buff on the detailed areas? it's basically the inverse of a glaze, but then it won't change the base color. a gold? silver? copper?

also, if you're talking about painty it with a glossy finish that doesn't seem like a piece you'd want to antique/glaze.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes, maggiepie, that's what I was thinking, but my friends kept telling me otherwise.

Let me get it painted with the base color, and let's see what it looks like.

now, if I can only find my durn philips head screwdriver so I can remove the hardware . . .

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

That is such a great piece. As much as I like to paint furniture, this one to me seems like it should be restored. If painted and the detail distressed, I would opt to change the hardware. Hardware is beautiful too, but as a painted piece I think it may be too much beauty. You could always use the hardware on another small cabinet.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I sure hope you plan on putting a cushion on top for kitty. ;)

If the piece is chipboard and laminate, chances are that design piece isn't wood, but some kind of resin. I can see this purple with gold on that part. I'm trying to picture purple with a glaze on it and can't quite see it, but it depends on the shade of purple and what look you are going for.

Where are you going to use it?

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've got the primer coat on it now -- tomorrow, the purple. I'm thinking just a little gold added will look nice. Is "rub n buff" a brand?

It really can't be "restored" as the top and sides are laminate -- it's pretty damaged with deep scratches, etc., but can't sand it. It will be in a darkish corner of my bedroom as a nightstand, and will have things on top; and at $15 plus a couple of cans of paint, I'm not too fussed.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

looked up rub n buff -- looks like the perfect thing!

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

rub n buff is super easy violet!

and you can pick it up at michaels, AC Moore, hobby lobby or whatever your local craft store is. a small tube is all you need. :) please post pics!

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just a note to say I'm almost done with my project . . . and it's not coming out well at all. Combination of poor quality and damaged piece, plus unfortunate choice of glossy spray paint.

It will be "good enough" for me, but nothing to crow about. When I'm done, I'll post a pic.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

You sound like me and my "projects." I've decided to let the professionals do it. lol

For your bedroom I'm sure it will be fine.