Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Please help choose glass pattern for large sliding closet doors

kaysd
10 years ago

We have an 18' long by 8' high reach-in closet along one wall of our bedroom. We want to use floor-to-ceiling and wall-to-wall sliding doors to allow full access to the top of the closet. (There used to be 3 closets that were 5'9", with 80" high mirrored doors (cheap builder grade). We tore out the soffit and dividers.)

The house is a 1960 Southern California ranch, with a mix of MCM and more recent modern and contemporary elements. The Sliding Door Co. is having a 20% off sale right now, so we plan to use sliding glass doors.

We can use four 54.5" wide doors on a double track or six 36.5" wide doors on either double or triple track. We need to include some mirror in the design, as there is not another good place to put a dressing mirror in the bedroom. I would like to do a mix of mirror and frosted glass. (SDC has opaque white glass too, but it seems too stark white next to our off white wall paint.) If there is too much clothing show through with the frosted glass, I can add a Solyx film behind it - silver to look like frosted mirror or more white (or gray) frost for a thicker layer. I can use either silver or charcoal metal for the frames/dividers.

I have played with a lot of design ideas, but the 4 posted below are the best I�ve come up with. Please tell me whish design you prefer and why. Let me know if you think of another design that might work better.

I cannot access Photobucket from work, so I will have to upload each picture into a separate post; sorry for that. This is our bedroom plan, so you can see how the doors fit into the total scheme.

Here is a link that might be useful: SDC glass and metal frame options

Comments (19)

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Option A: 4 doors with a 45â wide center stripe of mirror and thinner frosted stripes above and below. I like that the pattern is consistent across the room. The pattern is very clean & simple, but I worry about it looking like too much mirror. (I confirmed at the store a 45â high stripe in the middle is big enough to work as a full length mirror if I step back a little from the doors.)

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Option B: 4 doors with a more intricate pattern. Gray parts of the 2 center doors are mirror and the rest is frosted glass. I could put silver film behind some of the frosted panels. I think the pattern is pretty, but wonder if it is too busy for a modern design aesthetic. (DH finds intricate patterns more interesting.)

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Option C: 6 doors with alternating frosted and mirrored doors. The horizontal dividers on the frosted doors are moveable (they are attached with double-sided tape), so the width and number of stripes can be changed from time to time. I could also add film to change the color of some of the frosted âÂÂboxes.âÂÂ

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Option D: Same as C, but with fixed horizontal dividers on the frosted doors and the thin bands are mirror to tie in with the mirrored doors.

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Inspiration photos

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Inspiration photos

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Inspiration photos

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Inspiration photos

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I like your 2nd inspiration picture. The last one is good though if you would like to have a full length mirror in the room.

• teacats
    10 years ago

A vote for inspiration photo #2 or #3 -- modern, clean-lined ideas .....

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I could not find any inspiration photos that dealt with a closet as big as ours. All of the inspiration photos posted above look to be closets that are 12' wide or less.

Marti8a, I really like the 2nd photo too. I think that pattern would look great across the 18' wall, if I didn't need a mirror somewhere. I used that photo as inspiration for my Option C, using 4 doors like that mixed with 2 solid mirror doors.

Ogoopogo, I like the last inspiration photo (classic improvement products) a lot, and that is probably what I would use with a smaller closet. I am nervous there will be too much mirror if I use two 54" wide mirrored doors at the center, creating a 9' wide x 8' high section of mirror. I thought breaking it up into 6 doors might work better, but maybe I should re-think that. Is this what you had in mind?

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Teacats, we cross posted. I love inspiration photos 2 and 3. I was trying to replicate them in Options C & D, but mixed with mirror panels too. The need for a mirror somewhere is really making the design difficult.

I guess I could try to put a full length mirror in the bathroom, but it is less convenient and complicates where we can put towel bars.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I like every one of your selections except the one with the mirror horizontally (not full-length).

I didn't know Sliding Door Co. is having a sale - we need doors for our coat closet. Guess I know what I'm doing Saturday! (I couldn't find anything about the sale - can you send me a link?)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I vote for last inspiration picture--4 doors----6 seems to many and you would be forever sliding them all back and forth to get to what you want..

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sjhockeyfan, the discount varies with the total purchase size. From the website: "Save 10% when you spend up to $1000. Save 15% when you spend over $1000. Save 20% when you spend over $2000. Discount applies to products offered by The Sliding Door Company and may not be applied to installation or sales tax. Discount can not be combined with other offers or can not be applied to past purchases. Appointment must be made through this form. No discount honored for no-shows. Discount valid now through 11/30/13."

I am giving the link for the San Diego store so you can see the green "button" to click on to make an appointment and get the discount. To find the offer for your local store, try to Google "sliding door company 20%" plus your city's name.

Here is a link that might be useful: SDC link

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ogoopogo, I am too OCD to alternate patterns on an even number of doors, as I need symmetry. I thought about using 5 doors, as stripes-mirror-stripes-mirror-stripes would look good, but I would not be able to access the interior drawers in the center of the closet unless the 5 doors were on a triple track to allow a center opening of at least 70" wide.

Joanie, I do agree 4 doors would be easier to operate.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

I like option C. Not D, because I don't like the mirrored bands idea, and I think the color boxes are a nice improvement over frosty white, especially since you can change them.

But,
    Option B/Inspiration 4 has a distinct prairie/Frank Lloyd Right feeling, so if your house is that style I would go with B/4. If your house is any other style I would definitely avoid B/4.

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jamies, I think Option C is my favorite aesthetically. The only thing that makes me doubt that choice is thinking 4 doors might be better than 6, though harder to design.

I love inspiration photos 2 and 3, and would just go with that pattern on 4 doors if I did not need a mirror somewhere. Maybe I should just look for a floor mirror and stick it in front of one of the vertical blind stack-backs. (I do worry about my little ones knocking over a standing mirror, though.)

• busybee3
    10 years ago

my favorite inspiration pic is the 1st one you posted, but i would want a full length mirror in my bedroom or closet too, and the closet doors are a great place to incorporate it.
    i like options B and C. option a is just too much horizontal and i don't think i would like the thin horizontal mirrored lines in option d.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County