Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparklebread

What to do with a corner tub?

sparklebread
11 years ago

Oh dear, I fear I have created a decorating problem for myself. I had our tub placed in the corner of our master bathroom. Not a corner with beautiful windows~ Ugh! It did not occur to me until after the plumbing was inspected that this will present a decorating challenge- at least to me.

I had planned to hang a chandy above the tub, which I suppose I can still do. I think I have space for a chair and small table. But I don�t know what to do with the walls.

Does anyone have any idea how I might be able to make this work?

This post was edited by sparklebread on Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 15:48

I had planned to hang a chandy above the tub, which I suppose I can still do. I think I have space for a chair and small table. But I don�t know what to do with the walls.

Does anyone have any idea how I might be able to make this work?

Comments (6)

• sparklebread
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a pic of the wall space. The red line indcates where my vanity will end. There is a little over 8' of wall from the red line to the corner of the room where the tub sits. Same amount of wall to the left as well.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Oh, my. That tub is absolutely stunning! Allow it to take "center stage" (albeit, in the corner) and don't go overboard with wall decor. I can envision a beautiful folding screen behind it in the corner, perhaps.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Very pretty tub!

a)Yes -- a folding screen would be wonderful! And screens can be done in so many ways -- rattan; fabric -- even mirrored!

b)Check out Ballard Designs -- and see if you could hang matching mirrors on each wall ....

c)Or -- how about adding a small wall-mounted TV?

d)Add a couple of artworks to each wall -- perhaps check out the "outdoor" artworks at sites like Grandin Road or Frontgate ....

e)Add a pretty chair or stool to one side to hold towels -- even a pretty mirrored chest (a small one) could hold some nice bath items ....

• Zippity-do-dah
    11 years ago

You can do a world of ideas.....go simple and elegant. Or make your bathroom a jewel box of color and gilt, or turn it into a garden spot with a few green plants that handle limited lighting well. Try a mural or a wall of tile or gee, I could just go on and on. I'd like a small elegant table in the corner. Suggest you go to the HOUZZ website and search "tub" for tons of brilliant bathrooms.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

I love it. I don't think it needs windows at all --- but if you do, if there a mirror placement that would reflect a window when you are in the tub?

Also, FWIW, there can be code issues with chandys over tubs (I love them though). Before you select one, you may want to find out.

Good luck!

• sparklebread
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for your support and advice, I feel so much better. I can make it work. I love large mirrors in a bathroom, and mtnrdredux's comment made me think about what they are reflecting and this question came to mind.

I want to do something unexpected in the water closet. What do you think of this as a feature on the entire back wall? The toilet, a pretty one, if that is possible, would sit in front of it. Good idea or epic fail? Be honest; better to know now!

Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels to those hitting the road!