Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claga_gw

Southern Coastal Maine Summer Cottage Paint Colors // Opinions

claga
9 years ago

Sorry for no pictures I am having trouble downloading the color pallete from my camera.
Here are my colors, please give opinions if possible, we must finalize colors with the builder no later than November 15th.

Kitchen and adjacent living/dining area BM 2122-40 Smoke
(Thermofoil White Kitchen Cabinets with Sardo Bianco Granite Countertops; Mannington Adura Dockside Sand Flooring)

Loft area above the kitchen and living/dining area SW 7571 Casa Blanca

3 Season Porch / Family Room thru sliders off the kitchen SW 7512 Pavillion Beige (Mannington Adura Dockside Sand Flooring)

Master Br SW 7652 Mineral Deposit
Mstr Bath SW 6478 Watery

BR#2 SW 7529 Sand Beach

Main Bath SW 0029 Acanthus

Thanks

Comments (9)

• birdgardner
    9 years ago

I would upgrade from Thermofoil. Bad experience here. it chips, discolors, loosens in heat, and the particle board cores are so heavy they tend to strain the hinges and joints.

If you do go with thermofoil, go with three hinges per door, not two; don't have a cabinet over your oven, and watch out for toaster fires.

Far better to have white paint grade cabinets.

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

I responded on one of your other threads about colors; however, I think 8 different colors in an 800 foot cottage is too many, and still think you should limit your colors to one to maybe three, in the same family. But I am not a paint expert like some others here and am not familiar with the colors you cite.

We just finished a 1200 sq ft, with 350 foot loft, lake cottage and used one color. It goes a long way to making the home feel more expansive.

• deegw
    9 years ago

I live in a beach cottage and used watery on my front door, in my laundry room, in my guest bath and in a loft. We have white trim and the main areas of the house are ben moore montery white.

I am really happy with the watery and get many compliments about it.

• homersmom
    9 years ago

I agree with birdgardner - currently have Thermofoil cabinets and they are de-laminating at the edges. Never again!

• claga
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Homersmom and birdgardener,
    who was the manufacturer of your cabinets; and how old are the cabinets?
    the thermofoil cabinets the builder of the cottage is offering are manufactured by Schrock.

Thanks

• ccornish72
    9 years ago

Okay, not crazy about mineral deposit for BR. Too... something. Too dark maybe? Too harsh. Too masculine. Normally I love gray for the bedroom.

Maybe try SW Light French Gray 0055 instead. That's a suggested coordinating gray for Watery that I found online.

Watery is beautiful. I would even consider doing the bedroom in watery if .
    Nice bedroomy feeling blue green.

Sand beach looks like a nice beige.

Acanthus looks pretty too. Especially if you had an espresso colored finished wood vanity in there.

Pavilion looks like a darker 'greige,'

This is about as safe a color scheme as you can get. They all look like nice neutral backgrounds.

BM Smoke also very pretty. I'm partial to the blues as neutrals over the beiges. But they are all nice.

There are a lot of different colors but they are all so neutral I don't know if anyone other than you would notice. Also the lighting in each room will be different, maybe that's why so many different colors of beige?

• birdgardner
    9 years ago

I don't know who made the cabinets - previous owners had them installed. They were about ten years old when we moved in and we started having problems immediately - top hinges coming loose and the door pivoting on the bottom hinge and breaking that. And the hinges are Blum which is a reputable brand. 15 years past that now and haven't been able to replace them - four children to launch into the world. Meanwhile, the chipping and heat-related delamination are accelerating.

The townhouse we lived in before that had woodgrain thermofoil cabinets - they were only five years old and they were even worse because the particle board core would actually crumble at hinges and joints.

Particle board is weak, weak stuff. And heavy.

The other thing about plastic which is what Thermofoil is, is that grease really clings to it. It smudges from your hands and the cooking vapors grease it up.

My mother's sixty year old varnished wood cabinets are far easier to keep clean, and the hinges and joints have never failed.

Honestly, you're better off with wood cabinets and a laminate counter, than laminate cabinets and granite counter. The granite counter will just make the cabinets look cheap. If budget is an issue now, much easier to upgrade counter later, than cabinets.

• claga
    Original Author
    9 years ago

homebody,
    thanks for the feed back.
    I picked the mineral deposit to pull out one of the colors on a pastel comforter/bed spread I already have.
    the bed spread is a pastel with light yellows and a green I am not a big fan of for a wall color and of course the bluish gray I thought would work with the mineral deposit color.

thanks again for your help!!!

• claga
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks bridgardener,
    no choice on the granite counter tops; granite is the standard option the builder is offering.
    one of the upgraded cabinets are white bead board; but for some reason just don't look right???
    with the cottages being in a gated seasonal community in Maine, the sale person was honest enough to tell us most of the buyers went with just the standard thermofilm cabinets.