Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Jazzing up my Target foot stool

Sueb20
9 years ago

I have this little furry footstool from Target in my living room. I love it.
However, the legs are really light and all the furniture in the room is dark (dark oak and walnut) or black (coffee table legs are black metal). I am going to paint the legs of the stool black. At the same time, I was thinking it might look cool to have brass "caps" on the bottoms of the legs, but I can't find any that don't look too clunky. Maybe I could tape off the bottom 2" of each leg and paint them antique gold? It would certainly be less expensive. Maybe worth a try. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: some caps and casters

Comments (19)

• violetwest
    9 years ago

go for it -- it's not an expensive piece so really I think you can do whatever you want.

I have last year's version from Target of exactly that. My only quibble is the white fur has become dingy and not responded to any attempts at cleaning or fluffing. May end up redoing that part eventually.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Mon, Nov 3, 14 at 12:48

• jjam
    9 years ago

anything you do in black and gold will look great! Cool looking piece :)

Did you check ebay for casters? I found some very inexpensively there once.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

It's only paint...go for it!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

What a fun little stool!

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Yes, you could definitely paint on little "feet".

• Sheeisback_GW
    9 years ago

Painted gold feet on black would look great and be easy to do!

• beekeeperswife
    9 years ago

Go to Michaels or AC Moore, and get the gold leaf sheets.

(seal it first, then do the adhesive, apply the gold leaf, dry, seal and you are done!)

I've just done faux bamboo metal X stools. Oh boy, are they gorgeous! (your stool would be easy because it is smooth!)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

That's so cute. It makes me think of Cousin It.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

This footstool is about the furry. You don't want to distract from that with brass caps; it doesn't need it. Painting the bottom gold may be too fussy, and could cheapen the stool. May be great if you leaf the entire leg.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lily, that's what I sort of wondered, whether the gold tips might be too much.

For now. I have painted the legs black. Sorry this pic is dark, but the dog seems to like it.

• decordummy_gw
    9 years ago

I think it looks much better with the black legs (nice contrast).

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

I would leave the black legs just as they are. They are kind of sexy but not over the top. NO on the gold feetsies !

• suero
    9 years ago

If it's a footstool, it needs feet.

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

I would have to attach googly eyes to peak out from under the fur on one side of that cute footstool!

• funkyart
    9 years ago

oh what fun!

• jjam
    9 years ago

that is the best!! I think small gold feet would be fine; would still love to see tiny casters if you could find them. Love the "cousin it" reference; had forgotten all about him!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe it's just me, but I have a thing about footstools and ottomans not being taller than a coffee table. If I add casters, that will make it taller than the table. As it is, it almost looks taller but that's because the fur is all fluffed up!

I may still try the painted-on faux caps...worse case scenario, I just repaint over them.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Fun!!!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

RE: fluffing up the fur... I use an old cat brush with wire teeth to fix my faux fur. Maybe that could work?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler