Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anjn

Banquette cushion advice

anjn
9 years ago

Hi everyone! I need some advice on the size of cushions to get for my banquette. I have a built-in L-shaped banquette, for which I am purchasing seat cushions (two: one for each "leg" of the L). The depth from wall to edge of the seat should theoretically be the same throughout, but it is not. It varies as much as ~1/4" in places (that is, in some places, it's only 17" from wall to edge of seat, but in others it's as much as 17 5/16"). Should I order to match the longest measurement? That will cause a small overhang in some places, but I'm thinking that's better than seeing the wood underneath in some places. (And yes, I realize that 1/4" isn't all that much!) Also, any advice on thickness of cushion? I was thinking 3" - is that enough? Thanks for the help!

Comments (15)

• cplover
    9 years ago

Hi. I too am trying to purchase fabric for cushions for my L-shaped banquette. I would match the longest, it will not be that much, but I think seeing the wood would probably bug you, or at least it would me. I was also thinking of a 3" cushion, not too skimpy but I think any thicker would be too much. What fabric are you using? Where are you having your cushion made? Thanks!

• anjn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, newbie! I'm going to use a Sunbrella canvas fabric for durability (I have kids). The best price I could find online is cushionsXpress. What are you planning on doing re: fabric and manufacturer?

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Why not just get them to size? I see your chosen vendor makes trapezoidal shapes -- it looks like it will cost a bit more ($10 for 48" wide cushion). If you do 3", you may want your cushion wrapped in dacron. It makes a difference in comfort and finish.

• anjn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, gooster! I'll look into wrapping in dacron!

The issue with getting them "to size" is that the dimensions of the bench vary the entire length of it. What I mean is that the distance from the backrest to the edge changes every inch (from 17" to 17 1/4" back to 17" to 17 1/8" etc). My guess is that the angled backrest is not totally flush against the wall all along the banquette, which is causing the issue...

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

Check the link below for a seamstress resource. I don't know her, except through GW, but she has done beautiful work for another GWer

Here is a link that might be useful: Banquette seating

• cplover
    9 years ago

Anj2000- I was considering Sunbrella (I have a 2.5 yr old) but had a hard time finding fabric I like for a price I liked as well. I did come across this site, which specializes in fabric for slipcovers, so that way the covers could be washable. http://slipcoverfabrics.com/collections/stripes
    My other option is this Cordura material, but I have not seen samples: http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Solid-Color-CORDURA-Nylon-Fabrics

I live in Chicagoland, but my MIL lives in VA and she took me to her seamstress, who is only going to charge me, The price for cushions is $45.00 per 30" . So $180 total for (1) 19" x 72 1/4" x 3" and (1) 17.5" x 60 3/4" x 3" 1 3/4 cushion PLUS material.
    I too have heard that you should have the cushions Dacron wrapped.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

IâÂÂm delighted that someone here at GW has used me to make their banquette cushions and passed along my shop location at Etsy to others. I donâÂÂt know who the customer was, but itâÂÂs good to know someone was pleased with my work.

My advice to newbieremodeler is to make sure that you consider in the cost of shipping the cushions to your Illinois location, if you are having them made out of the area in Virginia. Shipping could greatly increase your overall cost. And be certain that the woman making the covers does wrap the foam cushions with bonded dacron batting before installing the covers. The dacron batting helps preserve the integrity of the foam, as well as add additional softness and fit to the foam. Your cushions will last much longer and wear better with this protection.

For areas that will see a lot of activity and be frequently used, a 3â medium-firm cushion with 3/4â bonded dacron batting is highly recommended.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

And my advice to anj2000 is to use a minimum of 3â medium-firm foam, wrapped in bonded dacron, and cut to the widest size, (17.25â I guess), if you donâÂÂt want to be seeing any wood underneath. Good luck!

• Gooster
    9 years ago

@anj2000: What you can do is use the trapezoidal shape by drawing a straight line along the back and then make the front edge follow the lip of the bench. Your two side dimensions will likely vary from a strict rectangle. This will leave a small gap along the back, but people generally have this covered with throw pillows or a back cushion. This will give you maximum coverage up front.

The other choice is to go with another provider that does template based cushions, like a local seamstress, an Etsy vendor, or an online source like CushionSource (I have used them).

• cplover
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice nanny2a. Where I found cushions, be it etsy, online, or this vendor, all are out of state. My MIL said she would bring the cushion with her when she visits. So I am in luck!

• anjn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All, thank you for the advice! And newbie - good luck w/ your cushions (I'm actually in the Chicagoland area, too)!

• cplover
    9 years ago

Anj2000- I think I am going to go ahead with Sunbrella fabric too. What color did you decide on?

• anjn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think Sunbrella will be a good choice! I went with black -- that way, I didn't need to see color samples and it matches the chair seat covers. My cushions actually just came yesterday! I'm planning on unwrapping later today and will try to post a pic once I do...

• anjn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, here are a few pictures... Note that the line that is a few inches in is just a shadow from the edge of the table.

I'm really pleased with the quality. I did 3" thick (which I think is perfect), dacron wrapped, with a zipper in the back so that I could wash or replace the cushions. And it was surprisingly inexpensive as well!!

• anjn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's one more of the full banquette. Sorry, pic quality from my phone isn't great!

Sponsored
Over 15 Years of Professional Design Experience in Fredericksburg