Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole___gw

Completed upholstery job. Pics...

nicole__
14 years ago

This was free off CL. All mahogany,has ball and claw feet. This is a simple style if you've never done upholstery work before. Good starter piece. I used a zipper foot for the double welting & an electric staple gun. Before:

{{!gwi}}

After:

$2 a yd chenille fabric from my favorite fabric boutique. (3yd project). I Invested $6 in refurbishing this chair. Something to consider when bringing home a stray! :0) Decorating on the cheap! I hope this inspires someone to try a new project!!! {{!gwi}}

Comments (19)

• kiko_gw
    14 years ago

That's the most impressive $6.00 I've ever seen!!!! Great job!

• parma42
    14 years ago

Just fabulous.

Love your fabric, too.

• barb5
    14 years ago

I have been so impressed by everyone's upholstering projects and this one is no exception. And I have also been impressed by the savings of doing it yourself.

How does one learn to do this stuff?

For someone like me who has no experience with reupholstering, but who has some rudimentary sewing skills (but I don't know how to do cording), is there a book you would recommend?

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Oh, I remember your pretty fabric from earlier. Turned out lovely. What a great job!

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

That is very impressive. I have almost that identical chair and my daughter would like it for her home. I cannot sew for beans. But I do have a staple gun. So tell me, first off do I have to take the chair apart or did you just cover as is.
    Second: where the seat meets the back do you just tuck the material in or not.
    Third: Where I need to put cording or welting , can I glue it on or is sewing the only option.
    Here is a photo of my chair and I would probably try to find a solid color so I do not have to match.
    Thanks for any help.

{{!gwi}}

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Absolutely lovely, lovely job!! From one DIY upholsterer to another - isn't it gratifying to transform these things?? You did a great job with this and I love your fabric choice!!

• nicole__
    Original Author
    14 years ago

barb5.....There's online instructions for everything.....:0 piping instructions link below....

If you can sew anything....you can upholster. When you take off the old fabric, that's your pattern. You can do it!!! Fabric may cost more, Ebay is good for deals. But even $20 is a cheap chair!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make piping...

• nicole__
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for ALL the nice compliments!

lyban....that "is" exact!!! It'll be an easy one to do also! Just start pulling out all the staples with pliers and needlenose pliers(if that's what you have on hand, they sell speciality tools, I don't own any). The cahir itself does "not" get taken apart. The fabric on the seat folds under and gets stapled to the frame. I didn't glue the welting on, I just wrapped it and stapled it under. I could have glued it or used little tack nails inbetween the double welts & the welts would cover the nail up. There's a thin piece of fabric that covers the bottom of the chair,so the frame is covered when you turn the chair upside down. The only thing I sewed was the welting. Everything else is stapled. I even reused the old cording by ripping the old fabric off it. I also reused the back metal piece, don't know what it's called.....? The fabric folded around it, teeth stuck out and it got pounded back into the chair to hold the back piece in place. Decorative tacks could have been used instead. Just find fabric you like and it's good to go!!!

• nicole__
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lyban.....I found what it's called. The metal on the chair back is "tack strip". The thin fabric on the chair seat bottom is "typar". See the link...

Here is a link that might be useful: Upholstery supplies....

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

Nicole,
    Thank you so much for the directions. I am going to save this post to MY Clippings and refer back to it when I get the material.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Great upholstery job! but maybe you spent waaay too much money! LOL You and nanny are inspirations to me!

• dawn25
    14 years ago

Wow--what a beautiful chair and great job! I've been trying to work up the nerve to attempt an upholstery project. Have a $10 chair covered in very dirty/old cream leather sitting in the garage waiting for me. Someday soon I'll try it...lol.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

And Joan how could I forget Joans wonderful upholstery! Until GW I never imagined it could be done DIY!

• barb5
    14 years ago

Nicole,

Thanks for the link. I really need to work up the courage to give this reupholstery thing a try.

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

Wow!! Free chair & your skills = outstanding chair!!

Smiles:)

• cliff_and_joann
    14 years ago

Fantastic! You did a great job.

Joann

• User
    14 years ago

I was looking for something else and came across this. .

Great job! It looks really nice! :)

• nicole__
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sheesharee,cliff & joann,scoobyruby,barb5,cooperbailey,dawn25, luban....THANKS! I just upholstered these 2 little benches. I found a .50cent fleece remnant(it has a heavy backing on it), it was enough to do both benches. It feels like mohair or velvet! :0)
    {{gwi:1537821}}

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Wow love the chair, love the benches. You do good work Nicole!