Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texashottie

Update: I tufted my padded headboard (pics)

texashottie
15 years ago

I just wanted to drop by and show the results of the headboard that I built with my dad. I finally got it tufted and I'm pleased with the results.

Figuring out where to put the tufts was more difficult than I thought. The arches in the upper corners really threw off the mathematics; I wanted a wide "border" all around the perimeter where there would be an absence of tufts. If I decided to come in 10", then the arches threw that off. And I wanted each row staggered from the other to get the diamond pattern, and they had to be equal in distance from one another. DH, who is a math brainiac, finally had to figure it out for me, and it was not easy!

My mom visited me this week so I waited for her to come before tufting it. She likes this kind of stuff! ;) She was meticulous in picking the right covered button for the toile pattern area we were tufting, then twisting it just *right* to make it match. Check this out, lol!:

While I was tying off the button on the backside of the headboard, my mom had to muscle in the button on the front side as far in as she could. The foam was very resistant! Halfway through the project she started using a pencil to hold the button in with. I think she was sore after it all, lol! She got her workout.

My mom on her cell phone halfway through the project, taking a break:

The finished result---I like it. I like how it now has depth and I don't think it distorted the pattern too much. I purposely used small buttons in the same fabric so that it wouldn't take away from the overall look or distract, and it keeps it elegant.

This is the backside. I now will make some minor adjustments with the fabric in a few spots along the sides of the headboard to release some of the tension where it's pulling too hard. Then I plan on trimming it, rolling it under and stapling it down. I also need to afix it on the wall because it does "bounce" currently if someone pushes against it.

And then I have to sew my matching bedskirt! And make drapes! :)

Anyway, I know Reno and possibly some others were thinking of making their own headboards as well.... I was wondering if you guys started them yet, and if so, how is it going? :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Reno's original padded headboard thread

Comments (44)

• wodka
    15 years ago

texashottie, that is absolutely gorgeous!

I have a friend who is renovating her home and adding a new master suite, and contemplating black walls! She needs your gorgeous headboard to complete the glamour!

Congratulations - it couldn't be more stunning!

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

That is one gorgeous headboad! Its original. Lovely. Just beautiful. I can't wait to see all the rest of the coordinaing items.

Thanks for sharing all the DIY tips.

• ttodd
    15 years ago

It looks wonderful! And how nice that you were able to work on it w/ both of your parents!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I loved seeing it! On meg711's (? I think that's her id) thread we "chatted" about an upholstered headboard. Ours (a huge scale buffalo check) arrived a few weeks and boy was I excited! I opened the box (before accepting delivery) only to discover they'd used the wrong fabric ... so back it went.

In the meanwhile the bedskirt and drapery panels arrived, but they are still tucked away. (I want to do them all at once, and I also have to figure out something to keep one of our cats away from the bedskirt: she's used the boxspring as her own personal scratching post [never mind that we've a real scratching post right next to the bed!, let alone all 'round the house].)

But it's fun to see what you've done.

• maddielee
    15 years ago

Great job!

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

It's gorgeous, your mom's attention to detail is to be applauded, perfect !!
    do keep us posted with the rest of the project as it evolves.

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Wow, it looks wonderful! Your Mom did a fantastic job with the tufting!

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

What a pleasure to see such loving attention to detail, it makes all the difference! I love to see fabric pieces carefully placed together retaining the pattern. Too often, what could have been wonderful isn't simply because that wasn't thought through before cutting. You not only have a grand headboard, but a reminder how much your parents care......brings tears to my eyes, like forever being tucked in with a loving "Good Night.......

• cattknap
    15 years ago

You did an amazing job!

• walkin_yesindeed
    15 years ago

Bodica got this just right -- and so did you! Congratulations to you and your mom for a job well done.

• teacats
    15 years ago

Fantastic job! And just amazing detail too!

Well done on figuring on the math too -- math is NOT my strong point at all! ((not a single one of my brain cell can do do math of any sort, kind or variety ..... LOL!)

Jan

• msrose
    15 years ago

That's gorgeous! I can't wait to see how you finish the room out.

Laurie

• zipdee
    15 years ago

Wow, wow! Just beautiful!

• hoyamom
    15 years ago

Excellent - you should be so proud of yourself and your family!
    Just bee-u-tee-fullll!

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

That is a great looking headboard. I love the fabric and the tufting. It looks so grand and beautiful.
    You mentioned your bedskirt was going to match, Please tell us what your comforter will be like.
    A job well done.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    15 years ago

Allow me to join the others who have said it's gorgeous! I LOVE that your mother was so exacting about the buttons - that's a great shot above! The room is going to be just beautiful, and won't you love it even more having done all that work yourself?

• texashottie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, I just got home tonight and read all of your kind comments--thank you! And yes, the headboard is very special to me already. :)

Lyban, I have a down feather duvet that I will probably sew a linen cover for, and it will be folded at the feet. I'm not sure what I will use for a coverlet---maybe matelasse. Aside from the headboard and bedskirt, I'm not sure if I will continue using the toile elsewhere in the room or else accent the drapes/bedding with a solid charcoal linen.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Very cool! I've been thinking about doing almost exactly this for our guest bedroom redo (when we get to that). I'm going to have to file this away so I can show it to Hubby.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Wow, that is gorgeous. Great job!

• susan209
    15 years ago

You are an amazing seamstress, just look at the way you matched your seams. All of you tufting, buttons, etc. look so professional, who knows maybe you do this for a living! Anyhow, we all certainly loved seeing what a person is capable of doing if they just put their mind and talents to work. Beautiful job!!!!!!!!

• kswl2
    15 years ago

Simply beautiful!

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Gawgous, TH!! I can't wait to see this room come together.

Looks like the bird gave good advice, too:)

Smiles:)

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Ooohhhh, that is just lovely. I can't wait to see the finished result with all the bedding in place.

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

Just beautiful! I love it!

• lorriekay
    15 years ago

Stunning!

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

WOWZA! What a team!

• parma42
    15 years ago

Beautiful texas! I'd love to see more rooms in your home. Love that kind of decorating.

• tmkb
    15 years ago

That looks beautiful! Imagine what that would have cost you in a store! I actually have a sofa in that exact fabric. I like that toile a lot. Congrats on a project well done!

• caminnc
    15 years ago

Lord girl, you are just oozing with talent. You should make a tufted cornice too. I think you should mix in some matching houndstooth. Can't wait to see it all finished. Love it, love it, love it!

• texashottie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for your kind comments!! Cami, lol, now you've got me thinkin' about cornices! Love the ideas!

• caminnc
    15 years ago

Here is a tufted cornice, but I guess yours would be diamond shaped instead of squares. I think it would look very sharp!

• HomeMaker
    15 years ago

That's one gorgeous headboard!

• judithva
    15 years ago

Your headboard came out great, I love black and white toile. I am looking forward to seeing your room all finished.

• texashottie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cam, I like the way you think, girl. Always have. Thank you for the picture. I'm going to have to think about it. I have to turn my sewing machine in for a couple of weeks for maintenance so I'm going to have some down-time to figure out what I want in there. Someone mentioned on another forum of doing a tufted duvet with french knots as well.

Thank you Judithva and homemaker for your very kind comments.

• tmkb
    15 years ago

Texashottie,
    Are you looking for a fabric to you with your new headboard? Let me know if you are, and I'll post a picture here of my sofa in this exact fabric and the fabric I have on a pillow with it. It has a lot of red in it, and black and white.

• texashottie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tmkb, I'd be curious to see that sofa of yours! I would love to see the coordinating fabrics that you have too---sounds luscious! I'm not sure if I'll go with another pattern or go with a solid-colored linen.

• texanjana
    15 years ago

Awesome, like everything you do!

• tmkb
    15 years ago

Texashottie,
    Here is a picture of my toile sofa plus one of the coordinating pillow.

• texashottie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, wow, wow!! That is really cool!! I love how the red fabric really contrasts with that toile! Beautiful sofa! Where did you get it or did you have it made? They did a nice job lining up the pattern on the sides of the cushion and even from the cushion to the sofa. What a lot of work! Wow, thank you for posting that picture!

• tmkb
    15 years ago

Thank you for all your nice comments! My sofa came from a model home they were selling the contents of, I bought it for about $150. It has a $2000 price tag under one of the cushions and was a custom sofa made for the builder. A good friend of mine bought some chairs that were in the living room with the sofa. She got a great deal too, we were both really lucky. They are gorgeous big plaid, black and white. A big plaid really looks great with the toile too.

You're welcome about the pictures, hope they gave you some inspiration for your room!

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

tx~ Someone mentioned your padded headboard in another thread, so I had to do a search and see what they were referring to.

Wow. This is beautiful. Is this for a guest room, or your master? Absolutely gorgeous. Now I want one too. ;o)

What is the base made of? What type of wood?? You all did a great job. Can't wait to see the room when it is complete. I always love your designs. :o)

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

Hey txhottie~
    I forgot I had posted this question until I just linked to this thread from another post.
    I figured out where and how you did this, because I came across the original thread where you showed the construction of the headboard. So never=mind all my questions, if you do see this again. :o)
    Lovely headboard. Turned out fab!!!

• texashottie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

TB, thank you for your compliments! I apologize that I did not see your post before! Yes, this headboard is for our guest bedroom. :)

• madtown_2006_gw
    15 years ago

Looks great!