Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Paint color which works with these cabinets?

jane__ny
15 years ago

Putting house for sale in Spring and need paint color for this kitchen. Have asked before and suggestion was to paint cabinets. I am not painting or changing anything except paint and pulls on the cabinets. Want to play down the yellow look of the cabinets. Tried swatches of BM Shaker Beige, RH Cappiciano (to dark, brown), Carleigh Cream (too white).

Kitchen has few walls but high ceilings where the walls run up 18 feet. What would 'tone down' the color of the cabinets.

Please help, I have to pick paint today,

Thanks,

Jane

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Fan is gone and a small chandelier will hang over table. Two small pendant lights will hang against the high wall back of kitchen replacing the two cans.

Comments (17)

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

If you are putting your house on the market, then you can't go wrong with BM Monroe Bisque.A great, easy color! Good luck!

• lorriekay
    15 years ago

I am in the midst of painting my cabinets. Are you doing this yourself or having it done? If I were selling my home I wouldn't even go through the trouble of painting them. I REALLY wouldn't!
    Instead I would take the cheaper, faster, easier route to improve the appearance of the cabinets. Paint the Walls.. Green!
    It'll showcase those cabinets!
    my two cents

• User
    15 years ago

I have to agree, some shade of green would be my choice ... bring the outdoors in! I'd go with a medium aqua-green...

• yayagal
    15 years ago

I think green also. If you put a pendant over the table, make sure it's centered in the middle of the room. The new buyer will probably want it that way. Good luck with a sale, it's so pretty, I'm sure it will sell fast.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I thought you liked the green? Here's the old thread, if anyone knows of a similar color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous Thread

• mjlb
    15 years ago

If you paint the walls a contrasting color, I think it only draws attention to the cabinets. (In HGTV-speak, it makes them "pop", and you don't want them to "pop".)

It's not very exciting, but I think if you want the cabinets to be less objectionable, paint the walls more or less the same color as the cabinet. Then use brightly colored artwork, plants etc. to catch the eye.

If it's possible to logically stop the kitchen color from flowing out into the dining area, I think the dining area looks nice and bright as it is.

{{!gwi}}

• mjlb
    15 years ago

a bit warmer and darker:

{{!gwi}}

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Squirrel, I did like the green but couldn't find it. I have approx 20 different colors splashed on the wall and none look right. If you have any idea what color green that was, send it along.

Mljb, the eat-in area is in the same space. I'd have to paint the small bit of wall between the windows. I ran to the hardware store at lunch today and picked up 4 more BM samples.
    They didn't have Monroe Bisque, but I might buy a quart.

Thanks all,
    Jane

• salonv
    15 years ago

Wondering if you decided yet? (I see you have made wonderful progress in your bathrooms.)

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

What about SW Henna Shade or Constant Coral?

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No I haven't decided, although I've tried a bunch of samples. Not sure what to do. I'll make a new post.

Is Constant Coral, SW?

Jane

• graywings123
    15 years ago

I believe I mentioned this on your previous post - try some shades of gray.

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

Honey...paint those cabinets....pure sweat equity. Trust me on this.

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

Yes, constant coral is SW.

• charleney
    15 years ago

Declutter, declutter and paint the walls not the cabs

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

Make sure you remove the table with the plants and the TV and stand when you put your house on the market.

I used to have oak cabinets and I painted a warm beige and it looked very nice. Some crown molding along the top of the cabinets would look nice and not be hard to do.

• natal
    15 years ago

Jane, how did the Shaker Beige look? I'm facing a similar dilemma in the spring when we'll probably put my mom's 9-year-old home up for sale. I used SB in my kitchen remodel, but I have white cabinets. No clue how it would look with oak.