Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sergeantcuff

My front hallway needs spiffing up

sergeantcuff
10 years ago

My front hallway was looking dreary, so I am I the process of painting the trim, and plan to do the ceiling soon.

I have two main questions-

What would you hang on the two short walls perpendicular to the door? I don't have anything else hung in the hallway but for some reason feel something should be hung here. Mirrors? Nothing at all? Currently I have 2 very old family photographs but I don't think they can be appreciated here as they are somewhat faded.

I need a curtain for the door. I took down the striped semi-sheer panels as I am painting. The are getting kinda tired looking and I'm thinking about something crisper. Sheers? Voile? Why do they look cheap sometimes?

I really like the light and open feeling of no curtain but it also seems to expose the whole house.

I also have trim color issues but I've asked enough already! Thanks for any ideas.

Comments (21)

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I would remove the table on the left since there's really no room for it. What I think would look nice in the corner where the table is, is a pretty umbrella stand with umbrellas in it.

I did that in my entryway, and to keep the area colorful instead of blending in, I bought myself a leapard print umbrella. lol. I needed one anyway.

A decorative key rack above the stand would be nice. Maybe find some old skeleton keys to put on it.

• birdgardner
    10 years ago

hmm. paint the steam pipes the background color of the wallpaper, first off, not the trim color. Make 'em disappear and give your door wall more symmetry.

If you want privacy and light, how about a crisp lace panel with a rod at the bottom as well as the top? A mirror or two would increase the light and sense of space. a door length mirror on the wall to the left?

Right now the wallpaper looks a little dated, but you can make it work if you embrace the Victorian.

I love the vividness of the rug. You might pick up some of the colors there. Right now the space appears washed out and neutral. Rich Victorians colors would enliven it. A stained glass shade for your ceiling lamp?

If you want to see the hall from this angle, your little table should be turned toward the stairs, not the opposite wall. It may be a bit oversized for the space, and it reads top heavy. Perhaps replace it with a sculptural coat rack, or a smaller marble topped Eastlake table and a vase of peacock feathers.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

How about a wood tone bamboo shade that you can keep raised or lowered.

• teacats
    10 years ago

First -- consider creating a radiator cover -- or have one made for you ... then consider hanging a long rectangular mirror over it .... very handy indeed! :)

Then add a long thin console table along the longer wall -- opposite the stairs .... and add a larger artwork OR a grid of artwork or a grid of fun family photos .... Is there an electrical plug OR could you have an electrician wire one in for you -- so you could have the option of adding a lamp to that wall?

A couple of options for door window coverings:

a)Sheers mounted on two very thin rods ....

b)Frosting the window panes -- by spray (check hobby stores and home centers) or by adding squares of frosted film (check around the Web)

• teacats
    10 years ago

Here's a pin board full of inspiration photos and DYI ideas and links (click on the photo and then click on it again to head back to the original link)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest DYI ideas and more for frosting windows

• teacats
    10 years ago

Here's a grouping of pinned inspiration photos for radiator shelves (just a cover for the top of the radiator) -- but check Pinterest for photos of radiator covers too .....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- ideas for radiator shelves

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I should have mentioned that very few visitors use this door. I live on a hill, the front faces the street but the front yard is almost completely enclosed by hedging. We park in the backyard and enter the house thru an enclosed porch. Sorry I wasn't clear that this area does not really function as an entryway!

Oakley - We don't need umbrellas at this spot but I do love those antique stands! I think (although I'm often wrong), that there plenty of room for the table? See pic below. I find it useful for the things that do come in the front door- mail, newspapers, etc. I'm overly practical.

Birdgardner - the house a a modest colonial revival, too plain for anything Victorian. I think (?) the wallpaper reads more cottage-y than Victorian? There's already old brass rods on the door from my previous curtains.

Yayagal - it's funny thT we would need more privacy during the day than at night.

Tea cats - I am enjoying looking through those photos. I have been paininting radiators lately ( and windows) and its very tedious. The hallway is pretty narrow. I used frosted film in a bathroom and I love it but don't think I'd use it on a door where I want to look out.

• erinsean
    10 years ago

Do you really like the wallpaper? I can see your entry painted a nice soft sage green or even a soft yellow color. I too, think a radiator cover would be good, with a mirror over it. As for the little table/chest...looks lost. How about a tall plant of some kind. Radiator cover would have a place to put the keys, mail and etc. As for the door....I agree a sheer (colored....not necessarily white) on two rods (top and bottom) would look nice.

This post was edited by grandmaof3 on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 14:10

• birdgardner
    10 years ago

Maureen - your front hall reminds me so much of the front hall of the very modest workingman's Victorian we lived in in Massachusetts. Steam radiators and a massive newel post. There probably isn't ten years between the houses, and the biggest architectural difference is probably a cross gable.

With good plain bones like your house has, you can really decorate in any style you like.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I sent you an email.

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks you all for the ideas. I really like the wallpaper, fortunately, as it also covers the walls in the stairway AND the upstairs hallway.

My style might best be described as "eccentric yet still boring old lady". And I am married to someone much concerned with energy efficiency, so radiator covers are out. This is his busy season, when he painstakingly covers selected windows with plastic. Looks gorgeous :)

I got your email, Pal- thanks.

This post was edited by maureeninmd on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 17:15

• peony4
    10 years ago

That second photo is helpful with the table--it does seem to fit. I like the wallpaper! I recommend a mirror over the table and a seasonal framed photo on the opposite wall. Also, perhaps a more cottage-type of light would help the space, too.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Maureen, I'm with you little old lady all the way. I find your entry way charming. I adore older homes!

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. I think a new light fixture would make a big difference. I'm torn though as I am a purist and the old, colonial-style fixture is original and appropriate for the house, and matches the flush-mounted one by the back door.

I often find myself in the position of wanting to "freshen things up" but not be willing to part with what I currently have. I can't trash anything that is serviceable.

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

Funny you should mention the light fixture. That's the first thing I noticed. It doesn't seem to belong.

I don't like the little table either. Even though the picture shows there is room for it in that corner, it still seems like it's in the way or maybe overly fussy. Or maybe the color is too dark.

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I actually was explaining why I like the light :)

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

Radiator covers will not compromise the heat transfer of the radiator if done correctly.

Somewhat open on the bottom toe kick area, lattice metal or slotted wood on the front, and a solid top a couple of inches over the top of the top of the radiator, not resting on it. The entire cover should be freestanding, and not actually touch the radiator. As long as air can properly convect across the coils there will be no appreciable loss of heating.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

You could have copies made of your family photos --- although it depends on the kind of photo whether I'd hang it in a hallway or not.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

The picture on the right probably gets a lot of heat rising up from the radiator. At a minimum, you might want to move it over to the left side under the other one.

Pure cotton sheers don't look cheap, but some of the synthetics do.

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The photos are from the 20s and 30s, and look terrible here anyway, everything does. I was thinking about a mirror or two to brighten the space, not that they would really be looked at, as this space is essentially a dark corner, not an entryway.

I've been looking at sheers. It's hard to tell quality online.