Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

How can I make my mantel POP? Pictures

Oakley
14 years ago

Let's try this again. :)

Anything I add to this mantel I'll need to buy. I'm completely out of accessories since we added the room. And I don't want to spend big bucks.

Don't you think it needs some bold color?

The wreath is obviously too small, so if I keep the wreath stand there (which I kind of like), I'll need to get a bigger wreath.

The clock needs to stay.

WHAT I DON'T WANT:

1) Mirror

2) Painting/picture/ or a tapestry (we plan to put a tapestry above the TV)

My accent colors besides the dark wood floor and furniture, white beadboard throughout, the upholstery (sp) is maroon w/light gold (barely) and forrest green. I'm open to introduce more accent colors but what? Gold would get washed out, wouldn't it?

Anyone here have a stone fireplace similar to mine in color that you can show me how you decorated the mantel?

What colors would "Pop" on the mantel?

We are also going to get a larger hearth rug than the one we have, but I want the deep red in it too.

Comments (133)

• deborahnj
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Squirrel, on certain points, I believe we are saying the same things but in different ways. At the same time, we differ on other points so I think we have to respectfully agree to disagree.

I went back to re-read the recent "getting to know you, why did you come here threads" and a couple of points IMHO emerged, there are folk out there who are reluctant to post because of the tone and some of the response one is likely to receive. The other is that people have stopped posting because of responses received.

The message I'm getting IMHO in general and in total for me and only me is "like it or leave it". For me personally I can handle it but clearly others can not and they are walking with their fingertips to other boards or are just not posting at all.

"Perfect compliance is just not gonna happen". I agree and also never claimed that we should have perfection cuz life is just not made up that way. But I do think that we all need to acknowledge the reality, we send/give conflicting messages and it is what it is. So deal with it.

We, meaning you and I get it, can handle it and take it for what it is. There are others who clearly don't and to be fair to those who don't I'm suggesting that the board try to find ways to make it more accepting for those who don't. Again, I'm not suggesting tiptoeing and not being "real" but at a minimum at least acknowledging the situation.

Finally, I was using "collective" rhetorically not literally. I apologize as I should have been more clear.

I also have to say that I absolutely appreciate the open dialog because in the end I think it only helps the board, not hurts it. Being able to rationally and respectfully discuss an issue makes for a good board and what also keeps me here. That or I need a life! LOL!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

The message I'm getting IMHO in general and in total for me and only me is "like it or leave it".

there are folk out there who are reluctant to post because of the tone and some of the response one is likely to receive. The other is that people have stopped posting because of responses received.

Well, my interpretation of people leaving because of the tone and responses is not due to people who are genuinely trying to be helpful, and in a polite way. It is about the ones who are nasty, snarky, or otherwise unkind with their suggestions, or responses to other people's suggestions -- and the downright lectures and fights that break out as a result of interpersonal tensions and civil war around here. Those are completely different things, imo, than someone not wanting to hear their lamp may be too small or their house is being swallowed by shrubs.

I will always support respectful and polite behavior and an open and productive forum. And people have different ideas on just what constitutes that, also.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

oakley, you've got people here trying to make sure you're accommodated so you don't get upset. That rarely happens. Some are going to see a 'Handle with Care' label and probably not respond to future requests for help. Quickly can become taxing making sure every i is dotted and t is crossed, especially when it comes from people's free time allotment. But for those who are willing to put forth that extra effort to accommodate your feelings, maybe reciprocate in kind, meet them halfway and try to roll with things a little more? Trying to achieve pigeonholed responses that fit our personal taste, style, financial and emotional investment is like trying to control a conversation in a crowded room. It's a futile endeavor. Have seen it mentioned to you multiple times over many threads but bears repeating: it's not about you, it's the dynamics of how a message board works.

I too was going to suggest making the wreath stand blend in with a $4.59 can of rustoleum (primer first with their gray primer) in antiqued metal or matte stone or suede finish. Haven't used the specialty finishes, can't vouch for them, but the antiqued metals hold up well, even outside.

• joanie_b
    14 years ago

How about something like these magnolia wreaths?
    When I had my shop, I sold these so I can vouch for their beauty and quality - they're gorgeous.
    Here are a couple that I think would look great with your stone:

Simple magnolia leaves

Something like this would pull in the white from your beadboard and the delicate florals don't fight the rustic look of the wreath

You can see all of the styles here:The Magnolia Company

• joanie_b
    14 years ago

How about a large birch twig wreath?
    They have a lot of texture and are pretty substantial.
    I can also vouch for the quality of these wreaths.
    The 40" wreath is very large and makes a real statement.

See other sizes and styles here: Birch Wreaths

• cliff_and_joann
    14 years ago

Oakey, since I am one of the offenders, let me be the first to apologize for making a
    suggestion that you clearly were not looking for...

My daughter once told my hubby, 'The internet is a great
    place for Mom, now she can give advise world wide instead of just her small inner circle' :)))

There are many of us here on this forum, that freely give out our opinions/advise without thinking that
    they could possibly be hurtful. It's just that sometimes giving out our opinions can have
    unintended consequences -- such as hurt feelings... I am not speaking for anyone here other than
    myself, when I say I am sorry for not being more in tune as to what you were clearly asking for..

I didn't mean to offend, and I feel really bad that your
    feelings were hurt.
    Joann

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Alright, this is the last I'll comment on this topic.

Those who disagree with me simply don't get it. Once more, I have no problem with suggestions, even those I don't like.

What I do have a problem with is when someone tells me I need to put in a new mantel and paint the room (thousands of dollars worth of advice on a NEW room, btw). What the hades does that have to do with putting mere knick knacks on the mantel?

I had to reply to those outlandish suggestions! Who in their right mind would ignore something so silly? Yes, it IS silly to tell someone to do expensive architectual changes so knick knacks will look nice. Oy.

Those are the suggestions that I did not appreciate, and I doubt any of you would appreciate them either.

I'm still LOL at those suggestions, but not the ones where people gave me real ideas on what to put ON the mantel! (BTW, I found some beautiful black wood, staggered candle sticks and deep red candles, also red candles with snowflakes on them)

This doesn't make me "sensitive", and I wish certain people would stop saying that. But I am singled out on this board and have been for a long time. Funny, the same posters treat me with respect on the convo board. Go figure.

And yes, I did a previous mantel topic when ours was built last winter. I asked people to show me their mantels so I could get ideas on how to decorate mine.

Know what I got instead? 99% of the replies were telling me to buy a new TV stand (which is to the left of the FP), hang the TV on the wall, move the TV, etc., etc. It had NOTHING to do with my mantel! It's like a game with some of you all.

If I wanted structural and painting advice, I'd ask you. But since I didn't, why in the world would you tell me to knock down an expensive mantel just because YOU don't like it, knowing I do?

Squirrel, name me one person who's spent thousands of dollars on a FP they absolutely love and someone has told them to basically knock it down to put the right wreath on it? ;)

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Squirrel, name me one person who's spent thousands of dollars on a FP they absolutely love and
    someone has told them to basically knock it down to put the right wreath on it? ;)

What is this in response to, Oakley? And, I don't think anyone told you to knock down your new fireplace. ?

Looking back at your op, I think people may have seen the title 'How can I make my mantel pop' and responded about
    beefing it up (add-on overlay, not rip out) because the mantel itself doesn't appear to stand out very much in the pictures.
    You can't see that? Look back at the pictures. That's all we have out here. You also eliminated large items as suggestions,
    like a painting or mirror, which are very often used to bring focus to and further enhance a fp/mantel area.

Actually, I have seen it suggested that the front of a new build be renovated because the windows weren't symmetrical. : /

I'm sure you love your new fp (though people don't always love what they've done and are showing us for some help), but you didn't say how much you loved it in your opening post. You may have said that later when the wood mantel suggestions came along, and then they still continued to suggest it be modified. But I'm not going to trudge through it all to confirm that. We're all pretty clear on what the issues are.

Don't single out and yell at me. I was talking generally here and said I thought you were clear in your opening post. Include yourself in the group of "those who are happy with their space and don't want a lot of input" if you don't feel you are sensitive about decorating your home or about your taste.

And there's nothing wrong with being sensitive.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I am glad to see two posts: greenthumbfish; perfect and what I think would work best...and joanie w/the birch wreath. When I first saw your lovely fireplace a twiggy wreath was my first thought.
    I would use greenthumbfish's mock up but sub a twiggy (or loose) type of wreath. Make it big.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

-----"Those who disagree with me simply don't get it
    ----- This doesn't make me "sensitive"
    ----- I am singled out on this board and have been for a long time

Ok, Oakley, you win. I still think you're a very nice person, in between the few persecution posts , and we can live with them. I think most of the above posters were trying to make you feel better and make you understand that it's ok to feel like you do but it's also ok to drift off the original thread direction.

oakley, don't go disappearing again, this too shall pass, lol.......

• haley_comet
    14 years ago

This whole thread is completely and utterly ridiculous and I think some people are taking this site and forum way too seriously.

I think anyone who responded to this thread offering their time and thoughts is great and wonderful for doing so. I dont' think any of us every aim to hurt anyone...it is the opposite.

I do think however repliers should read the original questions very clearly before responding (how many folks suggested a painting when Oaklyok said no paintings?).

Posters have to be prepared for a spectrum of thoughts on a question comes with the territory of asking something on a forum (the good, the bad and the ugly).

It is a shame if anyones feelings were hurt but that I am sure was never the goal from anyone.

Sorry normally I never respond in these types of threads but this one really struck a chord with me.

Haley

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

OK, well at least I'm great and wonderful in Haley's and bumblebeez's minds, LOL!

BTW, BB, I like the birch better too, couldn't find one I liked earlier.

With the cranberries and red candles...

• htnspz
    14 years ago

I think when I start a post about a home project, there's a lot of things I prepare for:
    1. People will suggest ideas I don't like
    2. Some won't read the question thoroughly and answer accordingly.
    3. Some people may suggest changing out items I like
    4. I may get my feelings hurt if I take this too personally
    What I will get:
    1. An potential answer to a problem that has been bugging me for a while
    2. The generosity of people to take their time to come and offer opinion including Photoshop help they aren't getting paid for.
    3.That someone will see something I'm not and that could include a new and potentially more expensive project on an area I didn't even consider an issue in the first place. I like this because my design can grow.

I think if people want specific answers to their specific questions, then they can call a paid professional.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I think if people want specific answers to their specific questions, then they can call a paid professional.

This is an interesting thing that I was thinking about. Designers and decorators (and other professionals), have the same difficulty -- people don't like change and they don't want to hear what they have to say. They can choose to be YES men or the problem-solvers they were hired to be.

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Oakley, I know you said you made your last comment on this thread, but I wondered if you saw that several posters apologized to you. Hope you saw that.

tina

• barbie08075
    14 years ago

Squirrel-All your discussion posts were very eloquently stated, all my thoughts exactly!

• Sheeisback_GW
    14 years ago

I really like the the last photo Greenthumb fish posted. Even if you wouldn't do red (which I like), I like those items up there.

You have a very pretty FP Oakley.

• rjinga
    14 years ago

I just wanted to be post #101,

I'm lucky if I get half a dozen responses to my posts before they retire to page 5, 6 etc.

that's all.

• jacy
    14 years ago

LOL @ rjinga

• clax66
    14 years ago

Wow, after skimming through the 100+ responses I can't believe I'm wading into this debate. But wading in I am.

Your fireplace is beautiful and dramatic but you have too many itsy bitsy things on it. Your mantle is high but small and all of your pieces look lost. You need larger items that are more dramatic and organic. Like balls of twine in a large vase, a la Kelly Hoppen.

Chijim's inspiration photo looks great because the items are overlapping each other and the space has a nice dimension.

Joanie posted a birch twig wreath. Something like that would be perfect, either as a wreath, or as a flower arrangement.

What about a round clock? I myself am a fan of a round over a square.

Good luck!

(PS - I plan on posting my fireplace pic soon on GW because I, too, will seeking advice from GWers!)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Greenthumbfish, very nice! I like the way the clock, which I happen to like, echoes the center circle in the wreath, which is subtly picked up again in in the cylinders of the candles.
    That's a big thing of mine, repeating small components (color, design, pattern) throughout a room, house, etc. That's why your composition works.

• charlieinnj
    14 years ago

Wow....I like that last picture that was posted!

• cattknap
    14 years ago

I think a more stubstanial shelf would look better - too thin and too shallow and I would go with black - the current shelf looks like it is floating.

I'd keep the objects really simple like the last picture.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm back to acknowledge the apologies. Thank you.

Greenthumbfish, you nailed it! That wreath is perfect and really makes the mantel pop!

Squirrel, I don't think I should have to clarify that I love my mantel. People here know it's new, if I didn't like it, it wouldn't be there. :) Plus I made it clear as day I only needed help with decorating it. And even though I nixed the paintings idea, I still wanted something large for it which other's here provided and understood.

Cattknap, it's not a shelf. It's a quartzite mantel, which is built inside the stone FP. As I said previously, IRL it's not small and it's not "floating." I do agree the items I have there now are way too small.

Clax, the mantel is high on purpose, because it's a cooking fireplace, which I also previously stated. It's supposed to be high. And it's not too small. It's perfect. :)

The pictures doesn't do it justice.

Again, thank you for the great advice in decorating it! I'll check out the wreath links too. I really want one with red berries!

• rjinga
    14 years ago

Not exactly what you asked (but maybe it could be?) do people ever consider changing the color of their FP grates/covers. It's such a big section of the overall FP, that I wonder if it were something brighter? in otherwords something other than black if it could change the look? I dont know if I have ever seen heat resistant paint in variety of colors, but maybe I have, it's been awhile.

Could that be considered giving it a pop of color? (along with all the other great suggestions for wreaths etc)

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

Glad you like it Oak. You may have to purchase the wreath and cranberry sprays separately but it would be a piece of cake to DIY, BTDT.

I know you use it a lot and had it custom made, but during the summer you might consider removing the screen, the andirons would coordinate with the other round elements that BB discussed.

Thanks bumblebeez, sheesh and charlie.

• cattknap
    14 years ago

Because the mantel is the same color as the rest of the fireplace, visually it does seem to be floating - at least in the pictures....I think it would be fairly easy to knock that shelf off and replace it with a nice chunky dark wood one (or a mantel facade)...at least that is what I would do. If the shelf were deeper, it would be easier to have larger accessories....I think that mantels in general can be very difficult to decorate - achieving the right balance and scale of objects is truly trial and error. Good luck to you.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Catnap, do you know how many hours was spent searching for this quartzite? Many. It may be in the same color range as the other stone, but it's a completely different color which you can't tell from the pictures. I am just shocked that you or anyone would suggest knocking down this mantel! lol Wow. I hope you never show us a brand new room that you're so proud of and everyone tells you to "knock it down."

Not sure why you say the mantel isn't deep enough, it is, and can easily hold larger objects in depth.

As I said before, I don't like the look of wood on a stone FP. It makes it too contemporary & our room is the opposite.

Green, I took a look at the screen and the design of the stone around the arch, and it's very noticeable. So we'll probably keep the screen up all year.

• jant
    14 years ago

Oak...I just bought a birch twig wreath last week and it's wonderful. I'd certainly go that route...add berries if you want. It's a great textural look and the stones should shine IMHO.

Although the mantel is higher than what we're accustomed to? I think it's WONDERFUL that you cook there! We have the original crane and pot in our 1885 house and I've been dying to try it since we've had our chimney redone.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Oakley, I am glad that you love your mantle, truly. We all have items in our house that our special to us and anything anybody might say will not matter one whit because we love it.
    However, to everyone here who does not get to see the "real thing", your mantle, in pictures, does look out of proportion and small. Perhaps in real life it is not AND even if it is, you don't care- we get that. But you really need to understand that many people are seeing that- no, I'm not saying change it out, just that that's what we see. People here are trying to be helpful.
    Please try to chill out, take what's useful and ignore everything that's not.

• RoseAbbey
    14 years ago

Can we leave the mantel alone now. Oakley has repeatedly said that she loves the mantel and is keeping it, so why are some posters still telling her to change it...that is not being helpful.

• cattknap
    14 years ago

I couldn't possibly read through all the posts - I had no idea she liked the mantel otherwise I would not have suggested she remove it.

• Georgianna Kiggins
    14 years ago

It was totally worth reading this entire thread just to see the pic that greenthumbfish added. What a wonderful idea.

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

"It makes it too contemporary & our room is the opposite."

Maybe because we're only seeing one photo of the room we're not getting the whole feel of it. Looking at it I see a more contemporary styled fireplace and ceiling. If the fireplace didn't follow or "hug" the wall up to the ceiling and was squared off it would look (at least to me) more traditional. Usually vaulted ceilings are done in a more contemporary house. The fireplace and sloped ceiling say "contemporary, at least to me.

• cattknap
    14 years ago

I'm so very sorry for hurting your feelings. I would never ever do something like that on purpose. I just started posting again yesterday after being gone for a long time - from all the pictures of different mantels that I saw as I quickly scrolled through, I thought you were asking for suggestions on the mantel - not just what went on it. I will try not to repeat this mistake in the future...really, very sorry.

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

TO whom it may concern:everyone on this thread.

1/"if you can't say something nice, don't sat anything at all".

2/threads have a way of drifting off, and before you know it, the paint color advice you've asked about turns into riping out carpeting and installing wood~just an example.

3/if you don't want positive as well as negative comments, don't start a thread.

4/take NOTHING personally. Everyone has their own personal taste, and it may not coincide w/what you are wanting.

5/"perspective"~ view, vista or outlook; The appearance of depth in objects, especially as perceived using binocular vision; The technique of representing three-dimensional objects on a two-dimensional surface; The choice of a single point of view from which to sense, categorize, measure or codify experience~"single point of view~"nuf said!

6/let's all strive to play nice.

I think the picture GREENTHUMBFISH posted is right on the money!!

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

Thank you patty cakes.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I do think threads take on a life of their own and aren't owned by anyone, ops included. This thread is not closed yet and that's the way it should be- so anyone can post whatever they wish until then.
    Gee, I love it when someone actually posts to my threads- even when I get left far behind.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Gads, no wonder designers charge so much.

• cattknap
    14 years ago

Squirrel!! LOLOL

• User
    14 years ago

Here's some ideas that may or may not help

Here is a link that might be useful: My home ideas - Holiday

• folkvictorian
    14 years ago

All right, Oakley, let's just get this straight: You're NOT O.K. with nuts and berries in your chicken salad but you ARE O.K. with them in a wreath. Did I get it right?

Sorry, just trying for a cheap laugh. Thought I was owed one since I just made it through all 137 replies.

Greenthumbfish's ideas are lovely. Your fireplace is gorgeous. Amen.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

LOL, Folky! or FolkV : )

• awm03
    14 years ago

I love kimmieb's idea about using monochromatic items so as not to overwhelm the texture and tone of the stone. It's a pretty fireplace and the highlight of the room. kimmieb's "less is more" tack would work better than "pop." Thanks for that concept, kimmieb, it's given me some ideas for my own fireplace & mantel.

• deniseandspike
    14 years ago

How about some kind of chunky lantern like the one in the link--it has a faux candle so you wouldn't have to worry about wax dripping on the mantle.

Although I would not suggest hanging all this stuff on your fireplace, if you happen to run across some antique cooking implement you love, you could take one of those command adhesive hooks and hang a couple of things to one side under your mantle.

http://www.inst.ncecho.org/photos/00008/00008010.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Lantern

• folkvictorian
    14 years ago

I like Dktrahan's lantern, but it's about $170! Eeek! Oakley, could you use the lantern that you already have but give it a coat of flat black heat-resistant paint?

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Have you made any changes to it yet? Quick--post some pictures before this thread is out of response spaces...it's getting close!

• deniseandspike
    14 years ago

I didn't like the price on those lanterns either. I found this one on ebay for a much better price.

Here is a link that might be useful: lantern

• bichonlover
    14 years ago

Oakleyok, you have a gorgeous fireplace! I love the stone. Your DH has a reason to be proud!

I was entertained by reading this thread of suggestions. You asked how you could make your mantel POP and you were told to paint, replace the mantel itself, removed the mantel, etc. Last week I asked about a paint color for my DR and posted my inspiration photo. I also stated that I didn't have to have that room exactly but was wondering how the paint color would look with my lighting, floors, furniture etc. I did get some good feedback but now it seems I must repaint my trim, paint my table, remove my blinds, paint my china cabinet....and the list goes on. All great suggestions but I really just wanted to ask about paint color :)
    But it did help me think about things and I have decided to paint my table. I had NEVER even thought about it before organicnoob suggested.
    Good luck with your lovely mantel!

• deniseandspike
    14 years ago

Found even a better price at Ikea and at 17" it's decent size. Good luck with your mantle!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Borrby Lantern

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler