Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
victoriaelizabeth_gw

Suggestions for writing on a mirror temporarily with glitter?

VictoriaElizabeth
10 years ago

I am getting nowhere googling this, so figured I would crowd source.

I want to write a temporary holiday greeting on a large antique mirror. I want to use glitter for the font-color.

This probably sounds hideous, but in my mind it looks fun, sort of like the chalkboard art that is popular. I do not intend it to be intricate, just something simple in a pretty script. And I will write the words large enough so they are noticeable.

sort of like this, but just text
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/172403491958893924/

I know I could use dry erase markers or some kind of glass chalk that I see online... But aside from my concern about leaving behind some kind of shadow, I want it to be fancier. (I am all about the fancy.)

I think what I actually need is some kind of base that I can mix the glitter into, and then paint on with a brush? Something that will wash off and not leave a mark.

I cannot explain why this has become of utmost importance to me... But now that I have thought of it, it must happen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Why yes, it IS The Kingdom Mirror.

This post was edited by VictoriaElizabeth on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 12:04

Comments (13)

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Try a sticky substance like petroleum jelly, heat it up to liquify, brush on, let dry, sprinkle glitter.

Alternatively, you can get glitter glue at craft stores. The glue will peel off the mirror later. Low temp hot glue will also peel off later.

Another idea, would be to use overhead transparency film (get it at office supply places) and print your saying on it. Then go over with a glue pen & glitter. Affix to mirror with double stick tape and add emebllishments to the taped areas to hide them.

Good luck, sounds like a fun idea!

Sounds like a fun craft!

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Instead of writing directly onto the mirror, could you put your design on a large piece of clear acetate or window film and then attach that to the mirror?

• Fori
    10 years ago

Glitter glue? Either a premade glue stick or the classic Elmer's through a stencil with glitter sprinkled on.

Hopefully you can lay the mirror flat or almost flat when you do it.

I think it's a great idea, but I also have a tinsel Christmas tree so my opinion isn't worth much. :P

• VictoriaElizabeth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ya'll are so smart!
    I forgot to specify that the mirror is too big to move around, so it has to stay standing while I do this, but you gave me some good places to start/things I hadn't thought of.

I will report back with any success.
    p.s.- tinsel trees are awesome.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

I'm a kindergarten teacher teacher and we use glitter glue - a lot. I've made outlines on parchment paper, let them dry and then peel them off - they just slide off - super easy. Then you could lightly wet the back of the dried glue saying by brushing with water and slap it up on the mirror. Might work, might not. It's the best I've got.

• imsoconfused
    10 years ago

I wonder if liquid starch would work? I know I've seen where military wives use it with fabric to "wallpaper" the walls temporarily and then remove it when it's time to move. The starch just washes off the walls. So wondering if you could write with the starch and sprinkle glitter on it and it dry the way you want.

• woodchuck_mo
    10 years ago

VictoriaElizabeth! What a surprise to see you here! I follow your awesome blog and will be watching for the glitter message :) For those who don't know her blog, check out victoriaelizabethbarnes.com She is hilarious!

• Fori
    10 years ago

Oh, THAT mirror. Yeah you're not gonna want to move that. Sounds like Daisychain knows her stuff--I'd try that first.

Or you could make a huge mess and spend days cleaning up afterwards. Betcha that's what I'd do.

• still_lynnski
    10 years ago

At Michaels, you can get acrylic craft paint for multiple surfaces, including glass. One of the varieties (pearl, metallic, etc) in the Martha Stewart line is glitter paint. Lots of different colors, 2 oz bottles for about 2 bucks.

When it's time to remove it, lots of products would work. Latex Lifter in a spray bottle is super easy, but it does stink.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I made my first trip ever to Big Lots today, and they had Christmas glitter message and icon dimensional window clings that you can arrange. For mere dollars. Hard to describe, but to me they looked like what you described.

You could probably use spray on glue with a stencil. My wall stencil says you can use the spray glue to minimize bleed, then wash off with simple green. I don't see why simple green wouldn't work for mirrors too.

• VictoriaElizabeth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@woodchuck-- xoxo. I was a gardenweb-lurker LONG before I had a blog. It was one of the first house-sites I discovered, and I still think it's probably the very best resource I've found.

I'm going to the craft store tonight to see if I can put all these suggestions into one workable sticky substance.

• fivefootzero
    10 years ago

How about rubber cement? Brush your greeting on, sprinkle the glitter, then let dry. You can use blow dryer on low setting to clear the errant glitter.

• VictoriaElizabeth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Success via tempera paint mixed with glitter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Write with glitter on a mirror

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!