Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bergiesgirl

What to do with this empty space?

bergiesgirl
10 years ago

Ok so the empty space is on the ceiling. We are getting started on our very slow kitchen renovation and want to get the room textured and painted before Thanksgiving.

After we take out the light and frame we can't decide whether to A. drywall the open space so we have an even ceiling or B. embrace the space and hang a light fixture from it.

The lip is about 5 1/2 inches, we do have 2 tiered tray ceiling in the adjoining eat in kitchen. DH and I stood looking at it yesterday and we are on opposing sides of what to do. Of course I said I will ask the gardenwebbers lol. I won't say where I stand, or I will be accused of muddying the water. Please let me know what you think we should do and if you thing we should put a light fixture and any idea what type would be appreciated

We will be painting the cabinets white and the metal orb light fixture is going in the eat in, so whatever we do shouldn't clash with it..

Comments (11)

• maddielee
    10 years ago

We faced the same problem a few years ago. Because the ceiling was low, we opted to install can lights in the empty space. There are 8 lights in the space and 3 in the soffit.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Maddielee makes a good point - how high is the lower part of the ceiling (i.e. if you just sheetrock it to make it level with the rest, how high will that be)?

• teacats
    10 years ago

Embrace the space -- and allow that newly re-finished space to show off that wonderful light! And that higher space really does make the room look taller! :)

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Before I'll answer I'd like to know what's under that space?

• bergiesgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maddielee that's a great option looks great in your kitchen, I wouldn't have been able to see it without your pic. It also takes care of not blading with dining room pendant.

Sjhockeyfan I am sure I should know this, but it seems almost every room in the house has a different ceiling, I will check the height tonight.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Embrace the recess...you can put in cove lighting if you want, or I have seen them where they hang a light fixture from the center too, or the recessed cans work too. You can also paint it an accent color.

• bergiesgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

justgotabme it's floor space below. The tile will change, but we will be leaving it open. Kitchen and breakfast area pic from the PO. The orb light is replacing the fan.

This post was edited by BergiesGirl on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 13:36

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Bergiea, another reason we went with the cans was because we have the stained glass hanging light over the breakfast room, a chandelier over the dining room table (open to the kitchen at the other end) and a ceiling fan on the family room side of the big counter area. Adding another hanging thing would have made me crazy.

ML

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Thank you BergiesGirl. Since there's no island underneath I'd add cans inside the raise area or cover it and add cans.
    One thing nice about can lighting is they now have LED bulbs that replace the old bulbs where you can see between them and the rims. The light and rim is all in one. We changed all our cans to LEDs like this:

• bergiesgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

justgotabme I had to look at that for a couple minutes before I got it. That is really neat, I take it that it really helps the lights just blend into the ceiling.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I tired to find the best view to show it all in hopes you'd be able to understand how they work.
    I just found a video that shows how easy they are to install, though this one is slightly different than ours as they don't have the changeable magnetic trim. We actually prefer the white as it blends with the ceiling.
    Ours look more like the thumbnail for the video sixth down on the right side of the page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vidoe of instaling LED retrofit bulbs in can lights.