Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Design inspiration in other languages

violetwest
9 years ago

I was wondering if you guys looked at blogs or magazine sites in other languages, and if you have any good ones. Seems like I'm seeing the same architecture, design, and decor photographs over and over again, so I do like to go farther afield.

For instance, I speak and read Spanish well so I also do searches for "jardin," (garden) "recamara" (bedroom) etc. Sometimes you can find really interesting things.

I can pretty well puzzle out French, Italian and Portuguese enough to tell what they are saying about photographs. Some of the Italian and Brazilian magazines (fashion, too) are really interesting.

As an aside, I really like WordReference.com for word translations.

Comments (11)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Same here with German, Dutch, French, Scandinavian languages

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ooh, I bet those are really interesting!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I usually do google image searches with a bunch of words I look up on translation sites.

• chickadee2_gw
    9 years ago

Pinterest is always leading me to one blog or another. The other night on a search for outdoor Christmas lights I ended up on a blog from the Netherlands. I wanted to know the source for the star and angel lights she pictured but I couldn't read it. So I went to 'translate.google.com' and copied and pasted the website address like they told me. Up popped the page in English.
    Here's the link to the blog. If you want to translate it, just copy the link and go to the google site for a translation. After all that, I never did find a website for that Xenos store.

Here is a link that might be useful: a foreign blog

• Gooster
    9 years ago

It's helpful if you locate the blogs and design sites using google.fr (france), google.es (spain), google.de (germany), etc Just know a few key words like maison or deco or casa etc. Also, major mags like Elle Decor publish country specific versions.

Then, go drop the url of the blog into translate.google.com. You'll be able to surf and it will automatically translate.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

chickadee2 - Or you can just go up to the right hand upper corner and click on TRANSLATE. The page pops up in English. :)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Linked below to something that looks a lot like German Houzz (including Scandinavian and Swiss homes)

Here is a link that might be useful: Homify

• Gooster
    9 years ago

@nosoccermom Nice one! Since German is a mystery to me, I've dropped the link into Translate...

Edited ....

Oh, and they have a UK version with some of the same content. Linked below.

Seems to be very similar -- but with not nearly as many images --- not even close! Only 3200ish kitchen photos, compared to the millions on Houzz. Picture count was the same in the UK and the French version, but the display order changed.

Here is a link that might be useful: UK Version

This post was edited by gooster on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 21:02

• chickadee2_gw
    9 years ago

Newhomebuilder, I don't see what you're talking about. Where are you seeing "translate"?

• Lars
    9 years ago

When I was in design school, I only bought Italian magazines, such as Casa Vogue and Interni, but that was back in the late 1980s. The Italian Casa Vogue is no longer in print, but I do searches in Italian for specific items that I want to research. I have also bought German magazines (since German is my second language - Italian is my third), but they tend to be rather boring and focus on price more than anything else, although I have not looked at any lately. Spanish is my fourth language (in terms of fluency), and I have found a few Spanish magazines that I like, but the Italian ones are still my favorites. I can also read French but do not have much interest in French furniture.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

The German "homify" site claims over 92,000 pictures.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax