Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Please help me create a 'princess' bedroom for my daughter - PICS

juddgirl2
14 years ago

I'm considering making over my 6-year old daughter's room into a "princess room." Her room has been very English country since she was born, with red, powder blue and pale yellow accents, red being the primary color. My favorites, and I still love her room, but she is a "pink" girl all the way and I know she'd be thrilled with a very girly, frilly room.

I've already purchased material to make her duvet, and it's the same pale blue floral material used in her baby quilt, so I'm thinking of doing her room in pale blue and pink, similar to these inspiration pictures. I'd also like to add these built-ins along the window (new windows are now a foot lower) so we can lose her dresser and bookshelf to make room for some of her bigger play items, and she can have a nice windowseat to lounge and daydream. The chair would either be replaced or fitted with a new slipcover.

Any ideas on the palest, palest pink color to use on the walls? Also, does anyone know approximately how much it would cost to add built-ins? DH is positive it would cost in the 3K neighborhood, but that seems a bit steep.

Inspiration pictures - Lauren Ross:

My daughter's bedroom (window is now a foot taller/lower):

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (8)

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

My favorite palest pink for a girl's room is Middleton Pink from Farrow & Ball. If you want to use BM there are so many choices -- RL has some prettiest pink too.

Here's Middleton in my DD's room

{{!gwi}}

Cost of built-in depending on the style & dimension. My neighbor did his whole office (1 wall of bookcases, 1 low credenza) in mahogany stain finish for about 4K. His has a lot of moulding & details (old world tuscany look). I think you can get even better deal in OC. If the built in is for your window wall, I don't think it would be that expensive since it's only 2 bookcases + 1 window seat.

HTH.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

bella , that is so pretty.....

judd, your inspiration picture is amazing; I have no clue how much the builtins would cost; who will you ask for pricing, cabinet maker, possibly a closet company also? this picture and some measurements, it should be easy enough for someone to yield a ballpark price. Your husband's estimate is what I would guess, since there is also a window seat and that lovely shelf above the window.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bella - your daughter's room is so pretty! Does she like having a princess room? I would love to replace the ceiling fan in my DD's room with a chandy, but we do use the fan during the hot summer nights. Maybe I could find a pretty antique looking desk fan instead.

Mitch - I have no idea who to call for an estimate. We have a finish carpenter that we're going to use for trim and he comes with great references, but I'm not sure if finish carpenters actually build these types of cabinets/shelving. I'm uncomfortable just calling someone blind, since I had an unpleasant experience having a cabinet made (doors aren't flush, don't close properly, etc.)

I was hoping it wouldn't cost more than $1500 or so, since they'd stay with the house and we've invested too much money already on a house that we intend to resell w/in 5 or 6 years! I guess I could recoup some $$ by selling her antique furniture and it would save so much space though. I really want to move her play kitchen and store out of my living room and into her own room!

If anyone has any references in the SoCal area, I'd appreciate the info!

• pmartin
    14 years ago

Your daughter's room is so precious now. I remember going from the nursery stage to doing a princess room with my daughter.

I noticed that you mentioned that you will be reselling in 5 or 6 years. I personally wouldn't sink that kind of money into something that I wouldn't enjoy for a long time. Instead of custom have you considered buying some bookshelves/pantry cabinets/tall bathroom vanity cupboards and trimming those out for the sides instead of having it made custom? For the window seat consider using upper kitchen cabinets that are 15" or 18" deep used to construct it. These can be bought for a very reasonable price in white or maple at your local box store. It would also provide storage underneath with baskets. This could be a DIY project if either of you are handy.

Have fun with it ... it doesn't last long before they're onto the next phase.

• laurabl112
    14 years ago

i love the first pic

• nutmegxo
    14 years ago

I love that English quilt with the reds and blues!! Too bad you are ditching that! LOL

I just painted my daughter's room in our new house BM's Pink Peony and I love it. I chose that color because it seemed to match her bedding very well. It is a pale pink that has that pink presence on the walls but is so pale that it almost seems to "transcend" into the wall giving off light. That probably did not make any sense but here is a picture...

{{!gwi}}

Pottery Barn Kids catalog features BEAUTIFUL pictures of children's rooms and they also use select Benjamin Moore colors. You may get some inspiration from there. Good luck!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

nutmegxo ... your daughter's room is so pretty and I love how you incorporated the yellow with the pink and blue. Maybe I could keep some yellow and red in my DD's room so I can continue to display the quilt. It was a labor of love and I'd rather not pack it away until she makes me! BM Peony is exactly what I was looking for, and I'll definitely sample that along with the F&B Middleton Pink.

pmartin ... using prefab kitchen cupboards and bookshelves is a great idea. I didn't realize that would be more cost effective. I do want hidden drawers under the window seat though, because we wouldn't be using her dresser anymore. My kitchen cabs are fitted with very large drawers, so I don't think that would be an issue. Thank you for the idea!

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

Juddgirl2: I got reference for cabinet makers from my neighbors. I will pm them to you. I think they would travel since you are close to where we live.