Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happylady1957

Lancaster County Furniture

happylady1957
9 years ago

Hello Folks,

We are starting the process of looking for a new kitchen table and chairs, and I thought Pennsylvania might be a good place to find good craftsmanship.

We need a not too large table/chairs to seat 4. The kitchen is done in a somewhat primitive country way, as we have an exposed brick chimney and dark wooden beams, although I have touches of luxe in the countertop and copper backsplash. The house is 1880.

I was thinking of perhaps tiger maple on top/rubbed black on the legs. Too fancy for this kitchen?

So more to the point of my post, does anyone have experience with a furniture maker from perhaps the Amish area? Thank you for any and all help!

Comments (12)

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

We had a cherry table and chairs made by Martin's Chair,Inc. probably 20 years ago. It was a quality set-well made and beautifully finished. They have a web site and are located near or in New Holland, PA. We changed houses and styles and no longer have the table, but it was in great shape when we parted company.

• happylady1957
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! I will look them up

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

I had my kitchen table made by Dutchwood Kitchens in Myerstown PA. They also did my entire kitchen. The table, I believe, was $750. It is solid cherry to match our floors and white legs to match our cabinets. They could do anything and I would HIGHLY recommend them. They have no website:

We also had our barstools made by Martins Woodworking in Bowers. He normally does tables and chairs. The barstools were $250 each. He did a great job but was very, very, very, very slow. Also no website.

Barstools (and also, the Dutchwood Kitchen):

• happylady1957
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, Beagles, that is a beautiful kitchen! I do wish Dutchwood and Martin's had a website, as I am in New York and would like to plan a trip. They did wonderful work for you!

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

beagles... that's almost a crime to call those beautiful bar *chairs* stools! They are stunning; I can see why they may have taken a long time.

happylady1957, be judicious in your purchase and make sure you get to see some finished products before you order. Not too long ago, someone here ordered Amish bedroom furniture, sight unseen, and it was not first quality, to say the least.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

happylady here is the Dutchwood brochure: http://illustra-graphics.com/Brochure_Design_Page_Layout_files/Dutch%20Wood%20Brochure%20MedRes.pdf

A great many people on garden web used dutchwood for their kitchens so if you post for more pics in the kitchen thread, you can see a lot more.

They also did cabinets in every room of my house (bathrooms, laundry room, dog room, conservatory, dining, great room, gathering room--- if there's a cabinet, they did it including the library ladder in the conservatory). Here is my blog w/ full pictures of every room.

I would highly encourage you to include them on your trip up here, even though they don't have a website :)

LOL, thanks tomatofreak. I had a picture of what I wanted and he made them exact to the picture. I was very impressed!

• funkyart
    9 years ago

Lots of Dutchwood fans here. I haven't used them (yet). Martin's has a good rep here and I love Greatwindsorchairs.com. I have my eyes on this tiger oak table .. but they offer many woods, styles and finishes.

• hostalover67
    9 years ago

Hello. We lived in the Lancaster County area all of our lives, until we moved to the South seven years ago.

Blue Ridge furniture is where we purchased our oak extension table and chairs many years ago. At the time, Blue Ridge was a better price for essentially the same product as Martin's. They will make pretty much whatever you want in the finish and wood of your choice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Ridge Furniture

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

Last year I went to Lancaster and I really liked the tables at Gish's. Their finishes are beautiful.

Their showroom is kind of dark, so if you are planning on matching another piece or trying to get a particular tone, you might want to bring a lantern or flash light.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gish's furniture, Lancaster

• happylady1957
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much for the wonderful help! Beagles, you home is absolutely lovely - a showplace, yet inviting!

I will be looking into the leads you've all given me!

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

Happylady: Martin's chair does have a website. It's martinschair.com

• allisonkbye
    9 years ago

I feel like I just need to mention, be super careful who/where you order from when looking for Amish made. I live in PA and not far from me there's an Amish town called Smicksburg. There's a bunch of little stores there that market themselves as handcrafted, Amish made goods. Let me tell you, most (if not all) of what they sell is unfortunately, imported from China. We've looked into ordering furniture from one of the stores before and they pulled out this professional looking magazine to place an order from, and I just knew the stuff wasn't coming from Smicksburg, PA, like the rest of the stuff in their store, so we backed out.