Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gr8daygw

Thermapen Anyone? Turkey Day Coming up

gr8daygw
9 years ago

Please forgive me, I know this is off topic but you all have such wonderful advice and I need your help. I am in charge of making the entire TG dinner this year because my mother who has done it for all the years of my life before has finally reached the point she can't do it anymore. She always enjoyed doing it and having us all travel from around the country to be at her house each and every year. I would love to have it at my home but that would mean an entire brigade of people would have to travel several states to even get here! So, I am traveling up there to jump in with both feet having never done it before. Of course in years past, I helped my mother prepare and did tasks for her while she was commandeering the command posts of oven and stove but doing the whole thing from start to finish this will be my first foray. I cook most every night at home so I'm no stranger to the kitchen, but baking a turkey, I'm scared!!!

I noticed on a cooking site "Serious Eats" that it's recommended to spatch cock the turkey if you want the best crispy skin and for the meat to remain moist all over. I watched the video and nearly passed out from watching him cut the back out of the turkey and then press down on the poor dear cracking it's little bones to make it flat. But then he mentions getting this wonderful tool a Thermapen to regularly check the temperature of the white meat in the breast and the leg meat because they are to be cooked to two different temperatures, the breast to 145 and the legs to 165. I guess the amazing thing about this Thermapen is that it takes the temperature in about 3 seconds and is super easy to use and that's why it's "all that".

Ok, so I go and check out how to obtain a Thermapen and it's $98 @#*%$ dollars!!! The last time I used a cooking thermometer it broke on the first insertion and I have never been able to master the thing... especially when making holiday candy treats. So I digress, can anyone recommend a meat/cooking thermometer that is affordable or know of a great sale?

Here is a link that might be useful: Thermapen

This post was edited by gr8day on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 18:52

Comments (34)

• sas95
    9 years ago

We have a Thermapen and it has been great. Yes, it's pricey, but unlike the other instant read thermometers we have had, it has lasted more than a few uses.

• maggieq
    9 years ago

DH swears by our Thermapen. Best $100 we have spent in a long time.

• homepro01
    9 years ago

Great thermometers. I think the manufacturer may be having a promotion on discounted colors. The cooking forum has a long running thread on Thermapens.
    Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thermoworks

• michey1st_gw
    9 years ago

I cooked the turkey for the first time last year and we went with the technique recommended by Alton Brown (link below). Brine it overnight, sear at 500 degrees for half an hour, cover the breast with foil and cook for the remaining time.

We used a regular old thermometer (Taylor 1470 model purchased from Amazon). It is the type that stays in the turkey the whole time with a cord going out to the digital unit outside the oven and was less than $20. It worked like a charm and we now use the same thermometer for roasts, chickens, etc. I'd say we use the thermometer once or twice a month and haven't had any problems with it.

The turkey turned out so fantastic that I'm now the official turkey cooker for the family ... hooray! I don't think I'd want to drop almost $100 on a thermapen because we don't use the thermo we have all that much and if it craps out, I'll just get a new one. What I like about the Taylor and others like it is you don't have to keep opening the oven to check progress, you just check the display which has a magnet so you can stick it on the outside of the oven door.

Not sure if this helps you at all... good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Turkey Recipe

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Or if you want to forgo all the trouble, use a Reynolds Turkey bag. Been using the product for years. I even received the approval of my late MIL years back when she told me the turkey could not be cooked in a bag. She declared it the best , most moist turkey she had ever put in her mouth. The skin comes out crispy, too! I rub with butter or oil and spice it up (I've also brined the turkey, but we really didn't find a difference in taste.)

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

We use our Thermopen several times a week. I rely on it for a super quick and accurate reading. Last night DH made steaks outside on the grill, tonight I'll use it on my pork tenderloin. I even use it to check the temp of my water before adding yeast. I hate over cooked meats and the Thermopen really helps.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

We also follow the general Alton Brown guide and brine the turkey. I remember the first time I roasted turkey I was so worried...but really it was fine. I feel like if you follow the guide for how much cooking time per pound, it's fairly accurate.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I brine, cook in a bag, and use a cheap Taylor thermometer. My turkey is perfect every time :)

• erinsean
    9 years ago

We use the pop up thingy that you stick in the turkey breast and it pops up when done. We put the turkey in a baking bag also.

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

Sounds like you already have a huge task, so my advice is forget about a thermapen. Just get a meat thermometer, cheapest you can find.

And splay cock the turkey?! Excuse my language but WTF?! For someone who hasn't cooked a bird before, that's just way, way overkill. Frankly, even brining is a major hassle that really isn't necessary.

If people like dark and white meat, get a big 'ol turkey, don't forget to thaw it early if it's frozen (several days in fridge) then follow the innumerable directions available online

If your group prefers white meat, figure out how much you need per person-something else you can easily find online- then cook one or two breasts, again using your favorite cooking instructor Chef Google.

Frankly, the classic Thanksgiving menu is a PITA; there are so many different foods to cook, there is a flurry at the end if you're doing mashed potatoes and trying to make gravy etc...make life easy on yourself where you can.

Seriously, if you've not been the chef before take short cuts and remember it's the spirit of togetherness that counts, not whether or not your meal looks and tastes like Martha Stewart is in the kitchen :).

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I have two Thermopens because I wanted the new backlit one. The regular one can be a bit hard to read in certain situations in my kitchen, It is a little hard to take the plunge but you won't regret it. But if the price is a budget buster, there is another one that will get you through with fewer features and possibly not as sturdy if you are hard on them. ;-) On their homepage now and on sale for $20 is the super fast pocket thermometer. I have one of those also. Doesn't turn itself off, not backlit option but if it's between buying the turkey and dressing and a thermometer or having PBJ and a thermometer it will get you through turkey day this year and I suspect several more just fine.

• gr8daygw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the good advice.

Michey1st I really like Alton Brown and went to the link you provided. Doesn't sound too intimidating, note to self, go to Home Depot and get 5 gallon bucket for brining. I'm thinking you could create some havoc with trying to brine a turkey. Alton says if you don't have a big enough refrigerator to set it in overnight that you could put it in the garage if it's really cold outside. I can just see my elderly stepfather going out to start up the Buick and doing a face plant in the turkey and we all end up eating Thanksgiving at the hospital cafeteria. Nightmareâ¦

Newhomebuilder/Errant good idea to use the Reynold's cooking bag. I have used those before and had good luck with them, helps with clean up too since that's a whole other story as my mother has never owned a dishwasher.

Runninginplace, LOL, I know, right? But my mom complains every year how dry her turkey is and sometimes the skin is all wrinkled up and it's non stop complaining about how she hates how her turkey turned out so I think I am a little paranoid about this. Then in my daydream I was thinking how neat it would be to throw down the perfect turkey and everyone actually take seconds unlike in years past when everyone took a gratuitous amount because they are nice and all the while my mother's running commentary in the background about how that turkey just didn't turn out right it must be the store, the brand, the oven, the shrinkage. So I was hoping to avoid the dry turkey this year and nip that in the bud. : )

Thank you all so much again for the helpful comments and suggestions for the perfect turkey. I know it will be a good day no matter how it turns out. Hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving and thanks again for all the helpful pointers about thermometers and your opinions of them. Good to know.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I have a Thermopen. Last year, I bought Thermopens for DS, BIL, and DSIL. Last week, I bought one for a dear friend who had admired mine.

I use mine for everything. All of the usual things: steaks, poultry, etc. I also use it to determine when a loaf of bread is done. Day before yesterday, I used it when I needed to know if a pound cake had cooked sufficiently. And then there are the unusual things: arguing with the builder that the thermostat in the house is wrong

I âÂÂ¥ my Thermopen

• gr8daygw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL bstx. Thanks for the extra info on the thermometers. Sounds like a very useful tool. Guess you showed that builder!!!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Yup. Got a new thermostat.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Gr8day,

A good meat thermometer is an absolute must. I use the kind that stays in the turkey, and has a remote that i can clip to my apron and beeps when the meat hits temperature.

As far as Spatchcocking (if that is the verb) ... my cooking club just did this last week. Every November our cooking club theme is "Thanksgiving side dishes". We all make different sides (whatever we want, just no repeats) and the host makes the turkey. Our host tried the Spatchcock method. She said it was very hard to do, and could not imagine how one would ever do it with a very large bird. Verdict - not worth the trouble.

Best turkey ever: Martha Stewart's recipe. You baste it with a combination of butter and madeira wine. OMG. You roast the turkey with a tray of root veggies. When it is done, you put the veggies thru a food mill with the drippings to make a gravy (and add a touch of cream IIRC). The most incredible gravy in the world.

I highly recommend her recipe, and the best part is you can watch the videos in advance, too, so you know what to expect.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Turkey 101

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

I use mine for EVERYTHING as bbstx said! I check bread, cakes, even pizza and most definitely TURKEY! If you can afford one, I highly recommend it. I use it so much that I would be totally lost in the kitchen without it! No more dried out chicken breast or pork roasts! Heck I even use it when I'm heating a plate of food in the microwave so I can know if it's hot through the food and not just the top.

• gr8daygw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! I'm close to convinced I need one of these things. I'm always burning things because I want to be sure it is done on the inside and the microwave â¦can we talk? Disasterâ¦

Thank you for the links to Martha Stewart. I will watch the videos, so helpful. I don't think I could spatchcock a big turkey. In the Serious Eats video he said that you can ask your butcher to do it assuming you have a butcher. They seem to be extinct around here but maybe the grocery store would do it for me if I do get a little crazy and go for it. Thanks so much again. bb congrats on your new thermostat. : )

Here is a link that might be useful: Spatchcocking a turkey (if you're interested)

• klem1
    9 years ago

You could do as my niece did when her mom became ill leading up to TG. DN told everyone since it was her first year,please don't show up for dinner early and make her nervious during final preparations. Dinner was perfect,plenty sides,candles,flowers,spicey aromas through the house and she was bright and perky. Suddenly, aunts and cousins were competing for and winning TG hosting honor. What woman will stand by while a younger one has praise lavished on her for a task others were not up to? A few years passed before granny told how she discovered containers from the local cafeteria in outdoor trash recptical. Added one more traditional TG tale.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Two things:
    In addition to a Clarisonic for my skin (see conversations side), now I want a thermapen. I'll check the temp of my clean skin. I have a drawer full of questionably accurate thermometers, it's time to splurge. Merry Xmas to me, two new gizmos are being ordered today.

I just read about spatchcocking. As it is, I gag when handling the turkey. I can't imagine having to handle it enought to cut out the bone and then press on the turkey until bones break. ~shudder~

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Thermoworks, maker of Thermapen, is having a buddy sale. Thermapen Reg $96/each. Buy two for $85/each. One for yourself and one as a Christmas gift!

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

hhireno, I also had a drawer full of inaccurate thermometers!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

hh & ag, to check the accuracy of your thermometers, fill a glass with ice then add water. Use your thermometer to stir the ice and water. Holding the thermometer vertical in the center of the glass. It ought to read 32 degrees. If it doesn't, google for how to adjust it. Sometimes, there is a nut just below the head that can be turned to adjust the thermometer.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

bbstx,
    I'm confused. First you dangle a sale in front of me and then you explain how to adjust my old thermometers. I think I should buy two and and split the order with arkansasgirl.

Actually, thanks for how to test them. The least I can do is test the old ones before buying a new one. But I'm still getting the Clarisonic.

• franksmom_2010
    9 years ago

I cooked my first turkey last year for Christmas dinner and I also did a lot of research. Mom always used those cooking bags, and her turkeys were pretty good, but I was looking for something better.

Turns out, you can do all kinds of fancy brining, complicated cooking methods, foil balls, etc. etc. OR, you can buy a pre-brined bird (it will say something like "basted" on the package) rub a little butter, salt and pepper on it, cook it in that bag following the temperature and time for the size of the bird, and have a fine turkey. The turkey turned out golden brown, moist and tender with very little hastle.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Straying from the Thermapen topic, but I was gearing up to brine a turkey for the first time until I read the results of a Food Lab test on brining. It seems so awkward to brine and store the turkey that I am happy to have a reason not to do it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Food Lab on brining

• gr8daygw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again and some great stories!! I found some brining bags at Williams Sonoma which sound a lot more appetizing than a 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot! But honestly, I was very tempted to just sneak and buy the precooked turkey from WS but they are outrageously expensive and I know my mom would have a cow if I did that so back to basics. I may entertain just going the turkey breast route suggested and see what the grocer has to offer with the pre-brined as well. Good suggestions everyone!

• nhb22
    9 years ago

I used the Reynolds bag (2 come in a box) to brine the turkey, as well. Then transferred the turkey to a clean bag (floured and with root veggies on the bottom. I make the gravy out of the stock, too) for cooking.

We have a meat thermometer, but honestly, have only used it a few times for our Holiday Beef Tenderloin. For the turkey, we follow directions for the bag. We know the turkey is done when it falls apart. :)

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

Ok - I have to weigh in on the wonders of a turkey roasted in an old fashioned roaster. The separate 'appliance' that sits on your counter and roasts only the turkey. My mom and my aunt both had one and we had GREAT turkey every time. I never gave it much thought until I had to become the Hostess of Thanksgiving. I struggled for several years with that giant turkey in a too small oven for everything else and the timing and juggling for oven space...
    About ten years ago I spied one at Home Depot for 29$ it came with an electric carving knife. Done. Best thing I've ever bought. I don't even have a thermometer. Moist, flavorful, with crispy skin. I do not stuff but do a similar prep as the Martha one. Everyone raves. Of course they are probably just being nice but when they ask for turkey leftovers I kinda believe them. And everybody keeps coming to our house...
    Best part is I have plenty of room in the oven for everything else.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I think brined turkey has a weird texture. And the pan drippings generally end up too salty for the gravy.

Dry brining is the new "in" thing, you know. Formerly known as salting.

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

"Formerly known as salting." LOL

After having several cheap thermometers not work just at that moment you need it to work I told DH I was buying a Thermopen. $90!? No way he said. I bought one anyway and held it back until he was swearing over the next dead cheapo. He loves it. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and spend the money (if you can afford it).

• gr8daygw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

At Costco today I had to chuckle as I noticed they had pre-brined turkeys in the frozen case! So easy! But even though I can afford to get the Thermapen I was just concerned that I would not use it enough to justify it. But it seems it may be worth it because the other ones do break so easily. It wouldn't take long to eventually spend that much on a multitude of others. One time I melted one in a candy recipe I was making, what a mess!!! BTW, I notice that the thermometer in question is a Thermapen but is sometimes referred to as a Thermopen because Thermoworks is the company.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thermoworks home of the Thermapen

• bbstx
    9 years ago

DH is right there with you, marcolo. Using a Cooks Illustrated recipe, I brined chicken breasts. I thought they were great - they weren't dry. He didn't like them because they were juicy, which he equates with not sufficiently cooked. I tried it one more time, just to give him a chance to change his mind. He didn't.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

I have a different brand of instant read digital thermo that my DH, who works for a restaurant and design company, brought home a few years ago. I use it frequently and for many purposes. I'd be as lost without it as I would my kitchen scale.

Interesting article at a Food Lab. I stopped brining my turkeys about 3 years go. Now I know why I didn't love them. About the same times started buying kosher turkeys. I've been happy with them and now I know not to try dry brining them.

Mtnrdredux--I think this year I'm going to try the MS article you linked. Sounds yummy!