Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

SW Blonde question for whitdobe

nhb22
13 years ago

whitdobe, did you ever paint your living/dining room SW Blonde? I was doing a search of SW colors to use for the "Room Make-Over" contest and came up with an old thread where you were asking about colors. My room is also around your size (10/13 x 37 feet long,)with two small south facing windows for morning sun, only. I thought I could get a better idea of the color from your room.

If you painted, could you share photos?

Comments (24)

• whitdobe
    13 years ago

Yes, I sure did paint it SW Blonde! Sure, I'd be happy to share what photos I have. I do need to try to redo some of them with my new camera. Colors are off in some. If you have a SW Blonde chip, you'll see what I mean.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• michelle0171
    13 years ago

Oh I love SW Blonde...we painted our entire house with it! Just seems to blend with everything.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the pics. I do not have the chip, yet. I am also going to look at Restrained Gold.

I wanted something rich looking, with less yellow than my current room. Currently, the color (Concord Ivory) is really bright!

I am also thinking of a rich, lighter green color (if there is such a thing.) Kind-of getting tired of yellows and golds, since most of my house is BM Decatur Buff or BM Concord Ivory. Any suggestions in SW?

• bama12
    13 years ago

Just saw this older post and excited to see discussion about S W. 'Blonde' paint. The color looks great! New home builder...did you use this one also? I would love to see more pics of blonde, restrained gold, and mannered gold! Debating on whether or not to paint my foyer with blonde. ( It is 2-story. with a lot of light)...Any opinions..?

• whitdobe
    13 years ago

Hmm, I'll have to post an update in a day or two. I recently admitted to myself that the SW Blonde in my living and dining rooms was too dark for those rooms. (Non windows on the side, sun really only comes in the front bay window and doesn't get too far into the rooms.)

Even though I painted the rooms Blonde less than a year ago, I just bit the bullet and repainted them again. I just finished last night so both rooms are still a disaster and need to be put back together. When they are I'll post updated photos.

I have Blonde and other even darker colors elsewhere in my house and I'm very happy with them. Just didn't work in the living room and dining room.

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

This room has gone thru a few changes since this pic was taken (this was right after painting so the windows are still naked), but here is Blonde in my smallish, darkish living room. I love the color.

• tracey_b
    13 years ago

I have SW Blonde in my 2-story foyer and on up the stairs, in the great room, and in my kitchen. I mostly love it. There's only maybe a couple of hours in the day/night that I feel it's too dark. I kind of wish I'd mixed half Blonde with half Ivoire (I did that in our last house for a basement room).

Here's some pics I've posted in other threads taken not long after we moved in (built the house):

Foyer:

Kitchen:

Great room:

• prairiegirlz5
    13 years ago

Love seeing all the pics here. I need to repaint my LR & hallway/stairs and had been considering a darker color.

tracey~What color is the great room ceiling? Thanks.

• tracey_b
    13 years ago

Prairiegirlz5, the ceiling color is an old Duron color called Basque Brown. Any S-W store should be able to mix it up for you. I saw it in a model home while we were building and asked for the color name. I also "re-used" it in our powder room, laundry room, and the master bath tub niche.

• mamiebella
    13 years ago

Perfect timing for this thread! I have also been considering blonde for my 2-storey foyer that gets a lot of sun all day! Seeing the pics and reading this, i'll definitely use it! Thanks to all who took time to respond and post pics!

• bama12
    13 years ago

mamiebella...my foyer, also gets lots of sun all day. My dining rm. is open to the foyer, and also gets lots of lt. from a window, and double french doors. I currently have both rooms done in a soft yellow, and want something a little deeper. We just finished refinishing our h. wood floors to a little darker color also. Hopefully it won't be too dark! Most everyone seems to love blonde...

• nanjean68
    13 years ago

We painted our diningroom SW Blonde after seeing it in a picture on this forum. What a mistake for us. It takes on different hues depending on what light comes in. We almost get no sunlight and it took on this sickly yellow green color that neither of us could live with. I am not a fan of SW Blonde for that reason. Good luck to you.

• bama12
    13 years ago

Oh my....has anyone else had problems with it changing in rooms with lots of sunlight and high ceilings??

• bama12
    13 years ago

Anyone else have any opinions, or photos....? I need to get paint today or tomorrow!! my hubby has put pressure on!

• mamiebella
    13 years ago

bama, i've tried to gather as much info as i can about blonde- what i've read so far is that it doesn't work very well in rooms that don't get a lot of sun or with cfl bulbs (it turns muddy/the green cast nanabella is talking about). On the other hand i've heard that it turns apricoty/peachy when it's hit with a lot of sun! I figured i can deal with the peachy part since i won't be staring at the foyer all day, lol! I'll be sampling it soon though, just to make sure.

• juleecat
    13 years ago

I was convinced Blonde was THE color for our greatroom....I sampled it, and it appeared almost orange in our room! Never expected that! :-) We went with SW GoldenGate-it is the perfect color for our wood and sunlight.

• whitdobe
    13 years ago

I really do like SW Blonde and have it in another room of our house but, it did not work at all for me in the living room and dining room. I've just finished repainting those rooms SW Buff.

Of course, I can't get the colors to come out exactly true in photos but I still think you can get an idea of the difference.

Blonde:
    {{!gwi}}

Buff:

Blonde:
    {{!gwi}}

Buff:

Blonde:
    {{!gwi}}

Buff:

• lainey04
    13 years ago

Oh, boy. I haven't posted in a while, but felt I had to weigh in on this Blonde thread. I painted my great room and kitchen Blonde 2 years ago, and what a mistake! I thought I loved the color, and had to have it, and even did large swatches on the walls.

Well, once surrounded by it, it has a horrible greenish cast that I can't stand. I think my rooms do not get enough light to pull it off. It also clashes with my Amendoim flooring. So, I've stuck it out for two years, but it's got to go!

• dmxname
    12 years ago

Hello everyone. I recently bought my first home and am now looking for interior paint colors. I came across many wonderful colors as I am still lookin online and asking friends and all.
    Whitdobe I came across some pictures from your house. You have a most beautiful home and I love your interior paint colors. What colors did you chose throughout your home?
    So far I've gone to SW and bought 7 different paints to try out.
    Hope you can help!
    Thank you

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

If you like Blond you might like Plantation Beige it's an old Duron color but SW can mix it for you since they bought Duron. Also Porter has Sea Sand that is very similar. It's a yellow without being yellow if that makes sense.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

LOVE Blonde & spec it a lot. I used Blonde in bathroom,& Restrained Gold in my own home & then Harmonic Tan in the hall & dining room, Proper Gray in the kitchen & second bedroom, Latte in the master. It was a great palette that was a little dramatic but warm.

But Blonde does have a tendency to go a little brown or green at different times of the day, but I think that's part of the interest & charm. All the colors in the SW Fundamentally Neutral palette have a tendency to change.

Downing Straw may be a good alternative. The rest of the palette is Oyster Bar, Muddled Basil, Thunderous, & San Antonio Sage.

~Jeana

• tracey_b
    12 years ago

InteriorStylist---do you think Latte (or the lighter Nomadic Desert) and Blonde would look ok in adjacent rooms? I really like Blonde in my kitchen (it never "changes" color on me), but it's growing old for me in the 2-story foyer and the great room.

Thanks.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

Latte is a wonderful color. But quite frankly I myself am "browned out" & now prefer the gray tones. Grays look great transitioning to Blonde.

I digress...Nomadic Desert would be better though transitioning to Blonde.

However, if you DO want to consider a gray, I recommend Proper Gray, Angora, or Grayish.

~Jeana

• ynnej
    12 years ago

Traceyb, gorgeous pics. Is that Volga blue granite you have?