Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacy_gw

Quick Q: One of these chairs or two (sale today)

jacy
14 years ago

I'm pretty sure this is the chair I've been looking for, just don't know if I should get one or two.

Salient facts:

• Tobacco brown leather sofa and club chair
  • Newly-painted BM Providence Olive walls w/ white trim
  • Different wood pieces include an antique floor radio, Duncan Phyfe buffet, drum table
  • Lots of mixed metals in the accent pieces, such as brushed pewter console table/mirror, antique gilt-trimmed

mirror
  • I'm not into matchy-matchy (no kidding)
  • Overall color scheme is brown/olive/blue

Barring the fact that I can't see it in person, I'm thinking this chair will fit in well. Please let me know if I'm off-base here... I think its lighter visual weight against the overstuffed leather pieces is needed, yet it is still an interesting piece, especially against the window lighting. The wood frame should coordinate with the other wood pieces, and the tan with blue/brown striped cushion should come in well, too.

{{!gwi}}

One would be placed where the Phyfe dining chair is in these photos. Would two be too, too much in this room? I could use a chair in my bedroom, and I had the thought that the second chair could live there most of the time but be dragged into the LR (ranch, and it's a very short trip!) if needed.

I apologize for both the size and blurriness of the photos. I tried to snap them in natural light without my tripod and you can see the sorry results. Please also forgive the bare walls - I'll be back soon for advice there, once I get decent photos going!

Comments (14)

• nhb22
    14 years ago

My thought is that it may be too fancy for your other room furniture. Can you try with just one chair, and order another if you like the look and need another chair?

• jjam
    14 years ago

I'd get two if that is the chair you want. If I were you I'd get them if they could be returned. Not sure they have enough weight to them to balance your sofas. They are lovely chairs though.

• jacy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Interesting. And here I -- completely unschooled in design of any sort -- am thinking that I need something a little lighter because those leather pieces are so darn heavy on the eyes. Thought the backs and legs would make it heavy in a different way. Not enough, huh.

I have been considering fully-upholstered pieces but nothing ever jumped out at me. This did - from a sidebar image when I was actually looking for something else entirely. Another reason I'm drawn to it (I think) is because at first glance I thought the back was a Celtic knot. I have some Irish-themed items that are not back in place yet and thought these might carry that theme in an oblique way. I know I have a lot of disparate stuff in here but I do try to find things that have a strong element of commonality, in one way or another.

This stuff is so hard!

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

I would get two and that is a beautiful chair! I think it would look great in any room and I'd hate to get one and wish you had gotten two. I have no idea what you have in your dining room, but two of these chairs pulled in with leaves in the table would look amazing for the holidays. Furniture that is light weight enough to move around is always a good thing :)

If you don't mind my asking, where did you find the chair? Just wondered if it came in other wood finishes and fabrics, for selfish reasons...LOL

• jacy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Overstock.com, of course, home of $1 shipping. They have many very similar styles. Here's the link to that one, and you should see similars come up on the right.

Chair

I ordered two kitchen counter stools from O.com a month or so ago and was quite happy with the speed of delivery, and even more important, how well the item description, details and reviews matched exactly what I received. That really makes the difference when you shop online for something that can be spendy and worse, difficult to return.

• jjam
    14 years ago

Jacy, you know your space and the dimensions of your furniture well so you may be right. Without seeing the room put together, though, it's hard to tell if the scale of those chairs would work; I was just giving my first impression. I agree you don't want two more "heavy" pieces, but these seem almost too delicate, or perhaps a bit formal as NHB suggested. For some reason I think the chairs should have a more upholstered look but don't have to be big. Armless perhaps? Or something like what you have chosen but with upholstered backs?

• nhb22
    14 years ago

Do you mean to tell me that shipping is only $1 on ANYTHING, including furniture?

I think you are on the right track with something "lighter" in weight. I was thinking something more on the lines of a French country estate style. See the three examples.

Here:
    http://images.oneofakindantiques.com/6625_french_country_chair_1.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://mountaininteriorscollection.net/media/fullsize/armchairpine.jpg&imgrefurl=http://mountaininteriorscollection.net/product268.html&usg=__azjfy-Gyz1IvHIh2wtUxYn8heDc=&h=550&w=413&sz=16&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=HZcRsBeJamlwxM:&tbnh=133&tbnw=100&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drush%2Bseat%2Barm%2Bchair%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GGLF_en___US309%26sa%3DG%26um%3D1

or see link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rush Chair

• fillagirl
    14 years ago

I agree with jjam...your leather set is quite "heavy" and you need something a bit "heavier", those chairs seem a bit too "lightweight"...

• jacy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, the total cost to ship two of these chairs, for example, is $1. They run specials like this frequently, worth signing up for their emailing list.

Thanks for the links to French country - without them I would not have known what you meant, I'm such a style dweeb.

What style would you label the Overstock chair? I just pulled a Ballard Designs catalog out of my mailbox and there's a display (p. 4, if you happen to have their Late Fall 2009 catalog on hand) of two Louis XV chairs with what I would call a very contemporary table (leather octagon with nail head trim) and accessory pieces.

Not arguing about my chair pick, just trying to learn why mine might be considered too formal (which seems to be the majority opinion) but in other settings it's not. I have TOO many 'informal' pieces?

Louis XV chair>
    Leather table

• jacy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, so the armless upholstered slipper chairs, for instance?

Overstock.com slipper chairs

[I'm not shilling for o.com, really! Just they have a lot to pick from and the price is right up my alley.]

Sad to say, at 12 x 17.5' this is the biggest room in my house, which itself is very small. One side of 17' length is the "hallway" to the back of the house. So why do I have such honkin' furniture in such a petite environment? Because it was a brand new CL giveaway right after a divorce when I had nothing in the room. I couldn't pass it up. I've often thought about moving the club chair down to the finished basement because the pieces together do overwhelm the living room hallway and I never wanted a matched set, anyway. Don't want to do that until I get some other seating in the room besides the sofa.

I tried to get some better pictures because I have a couple wall art questions at a later time.

{{!gwi}} with my back against the front door, which opens directly into the room. No foyer. Sorry the flash highlighted the crap stored in the ersatz wicker coffee table.

where the chair will go for now.

looking at a placeholder chair.

Thanks for your patience with me. ;)

• oopsie913
    14 years ago

i probably wouldnt do 2. Think one is kind of special unless you have a small table for them. I am pretty eclectic so go for it!

• jacy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, oopsie. I probably would only keep one in the LR at most times and just drag the other in if I need it for book club or those wild parties I throw. Snort. No room for a small table, anyway. (That's my next challenge -- the 'coffee table' area. I'm thinking glass, so it disappears, but eek! one challenge at a time.)

I am way too capricious to get myself tied to one style. I like to be able to bring in new pieces every now and then, getting rid of something that no longer grabs me (or, more likely, that one of my kids has damaged to death,) and ecletic works for that. The hard part is keeping an underlying commanlity going so that it's not just a thrift shop look. Would love to see someone else's eclectic (besides professional decorating sites). Do you have photos up anywhere?

• loribee
    14 years ago

Pretty room!
    What about:
    Slipper Chair Paprika, Accent Chair Nutmeg Argyle
    or the Turned Leg Zebra Print Arm Chair?
    I think any of these would look really nice in your room~

• User
    14 years ago

I dont think it would look good in front of the window. You would be able to see the blinds on the window through the back of the chair, it would look too busy.