Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rorycn

Looking for ideas for odd space in bedroom - any ideas?

Rory (Zone 6b)
10 years ago

Hello,

My son and I are updating my brother's townhouse to put it on the market in the spring. It is out-dated and was not very well maintained. Most of the townhomes in this development are owned by 1st time home buyers or retirees that have down-sized. It has 3 bedrooms & 1/5 baths.

The picture is of an area in the master bedroom between the closet (on right) and the bath door (on left). There is a skylight above the area. The area measures 30.1/4" wide by 29.5" deep.

I started removing the wall paper and took out a counter top that was installed in the space.

If you had this area what would you do with it? I think a vanity area would be its best use but I would like it to look built-in. Any ideas>

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• tlbb
    10 years ago

Perfect spot for a full-length mirror.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

We had a spot like that between two closets one time in a rental. It had a counter with space under it for a little chair. I didn't use it for makeup because the light was bad, and it looks like your light isn't coming from the right angle for that either.

I would find the space more useful with shelving, with outlets for music, printers, and charging.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

You could also look for a craigslist affordable armoire or cabinet...a pretty one, maybe mirrored, that wouldn't be built in and you could either sell it to the buyer, keep it, or re-sell it. They are a dime a dozen in my area, and could add some personality to the space for not much $$.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

The vanity outside the master bath seems very dated to me. Have you considered a built in cabinet for bedding etc? Or bookshelves?

• teacats
    10 years ago

Extra storage space is always high on home buyers lists -- add strong shelving and -- if possible -- a cabinet with doors at the bottom. Stage the finished area with stacks of fluffy white towels and woven baskets .....

• Jules
    10 years ago

Here's a photo of a vanity between a closet and bathroom.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I would either add wall to wall shelves or put up a wall and turn it into a linen closet.

• bpath
    10 years ago

I like the mentioned idea of an armoire, a low chest of drawers with a picture or mirror above, or perhaps you could find a cupboard/armoire/Pax closet at Ikea. You can trim it to look built in, to match the closet/bath door trim and baseboards. And it looks like you're painting all the trim, so it should look fine. Extra storage in a townhouse helps the sale!

• dakota01
    10 years ago

I agree on being outdated - BUT - if the master bath doesn't have a vanity/sit down space or is on the small side I would layout a more modern vanity area in that space.
    I could not live w/o my bathroom vanity.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all! The main bath is small and is shared by 3 bedrooms. The 1/2 bath is down stairs.

I think an area out of the bathroom to put on makeup or dry hair is needed. The townhouse does have good storage and a large linen closet in the upstairs hallway. The closet in the master bedroom is a walk-in.

I have been looking at Ikea for ideas but can't find a desk or vanity that is smaller than 30.1/4".

I would like to keep the mirror that is there now and frame it out. It is stuck to the wall so I am sure the wall would be damaged if I were to attempt to remove it.

Here is before of the main bath vanity.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is an after.

• rosie
    10 years ago

My "vote" is for a pleasing view when looking that way. Most people don't spend much time at a vanity any more.

Plus, and significantly for resale, those sink counters open to the bedroom were a trend that unfortunately sold much better to developers than to the public and so have the fairly unique history of being installed in thousands of homes while never really being in style. Most have viewed them as undesirable ever since, and a vanity would look too similar to those.

So, a handsome chest with lamp and mirror over, or a decorative and functional built-in that specifically does not look like a vanity.

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

Rob, if you have less than 30 1/4" between the two walls, it won't work for hairdrying. The user will be banging elbows into both walls. And yes, buyers will notice how narrow it is..

i know no women who sit down at a vanity to put on make-up. I certainly don't. It's a lovely, romantic thought, but not based on reality. The days of long, elaborate cosmetic rituals are long gone. As others have said, making this a make-up vanity will not update the condo, it will date it.

My choice would be to make it storage or a spot for a pretty piece of furniture, as others have suggested.

If you decide a sink is absolutely necessary, please improve the lighting. And change the flooring to something waterproof and cleanable! The thought of toothpaste on the carpet makes me shudder.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

Turn it into a closet. Everyone likes extra storage.