Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sas95_gw

Please help me decorate my landing

sas95
10 years ago

It's time for me to attack my landing, and I'm not sure what to do with it. It is up just a short flight of stairs from our entry, so it's quite visible when you first come inside the house. Right now, there is nothing there but a mirror and a rug. I like the rug. I have no feelings either way about the mirror-- it can stay or go.
The only think I know I don't want up there is a sitting area. No one will ever be sitting there. So what do I do? A small chest with a lamp, artwork? A pair of chests? I'm at a loss.

Here's the landing when you look up from the entryway:

A closer view, without the railing in the way:

Looking from the landing across the entry to the living room:

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Comments (16)

• teacats
    10 years ago

Options:

Perhaps consider adding an electrical oulet on the left-hand side ....

1) Lighted bookcases

2)Pretty console table and grid of artworks or family photos

3) One extra large artwork (lighted) like a vintage poster or artwork or a extra large map (maybe an older local one?)

4) Large low cabinet and grid of square mirrors ....

Just some thoughts! -- check out Phoebe Howard's website (link below) If you get to the main page -- simply click on one of the three large main photos to see LOTS of inspiration photos ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Phoebe Howard -- interior design website

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

Even though you might not want to sit there, a small chair looks inviting and is a temporary landing spot for "things". Which could be good or bad, depending on how you live!

• sas95
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Teacats and andee. Good ideas, and I like Phoebe Howard's web site. I'm definitely reluctant to have a new prospective landing place for more, stuff, though. We already have too many!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I have no advice; I just wanted to say how much I like your beautiful home.

• mjlb
    10 years ago

One simple thing would be to paint or wallpaper the wall with the doorway. That would direct the eye upstairs, resolving the split entry 'dilemma' sometimes mentioned in feng shui discussion of foyers.

I can't see your light fixture, but an interesting light fixture would be great. You might also try the mirror on the opposite wall, allowing railing to balance it.

Photo is the sort-of example (but probably not that color of paint!)

This post was edited by mjlb on Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 14:03

• kswl2
    10 years ago

I like the idea of similarly framed pairs of prints or portraits on the walls, or a collection of art hung like a gallery---- no chairs or other furniture. It would be intriguing to look up to from the foyer, interesting going up the stairs, different, and a good way to use the vertical volume in that area. I would not use that mirror, or any mirror.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I would put a large piece of art on the wall to the right and a console table on the left with a pair of lamps, a piece of art or a mirror in between and a something large in the middle...piece of art glass...wooden bowl...sculpture...whatever.

We get flyers or catalogs from local furniture stores...I love to look at them for ideas on how to create a vignette that's attractive.

• sas95
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the ideas, all!

KSWL, I'm especially intrigued by your idea, since I love buying art and I'm mentally "done" with buying furniture. Which of these walls would you suggest the artwork for? Where the mirror is now? The wall on the right going up the stairs? Both? Leave the back walls bare?

• FSachs
    10 years ago

I like the idea of the console table and the art and lamps. A chair up there would look too random, I think. Pretty house.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I like all the ideas mentioned above...I would do a chest instead of a console for more storage..also a tall potted plant in a corner would be nice. Love your house!

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

The ledges on the left of stairs lends an opportunity to duplicate a similar arrangement on the left wall. I would look for something of the same width and deep wood color. Then arrange like Annie's idea.

• rosesstink
    10 years ago

kswl's idea hits me as exactly the right thing. Whatever art strikes your fancy.

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

That space is ideal for display of family photos. It's a space you will likely traverse many times a day so you will see the pics, yet, it is still on the edge of the "private realm" of a house so doesn't come with all the mixed messages that attach to prominent displays of famili-abilia located in a your living rooms.

A chest as a surface for a lamp and maybe a flower arrangment, or temporary blooming plant in a cachepot, or a bowl of subtle natural potpourri (nothing by Glade or Yankee Candle here.)

If you think you might pause and look at the family pics occasionally, perhaps an interesting little side chair to sit in? Nothing cushy as no one expects upholstery in such transit area.

On a more utiliitarian note, you might have baskets on the landing that would be the in-transit depot for personal flotsam your family members need to take out of the public rooms and stow appropriately. Baskets would hide the clutter, but still you'd have an ordained place to dump their junk when you want it gone (and once-trained your family members would know where to start looking for things.) I'm thinking of things such as the taken-off sweater, iPad, barrettes, scale-model battleship, tie, college catalogue, etc. Someone entering the house and heading to the public rooms would just see the row of baskets, not the contents (well, unless you needed a place to stow some half-waxed skis left in the family room.) Instead of a chest, if you decided to try the baskets, you could use a table and just tuck the baskets under it.

L.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Take a look at chijim's recent topic on layering. I think if you put artwork on all walls in gilt frames similar to your mirror, they would make the whole area fantastic looking from all angles, especially from downstairs.

Go all out, don't do just one wall. Frames can be expensive but there are some inexpensive one's on ebay, etsy, etc.

I definitely would hang pictures all around the hallway entrance to soften it up.

Also, if you notice the pictures in Jim's topic, hardly any of them have mats. I've been "un-matting" my own pictures and changing out frames.

Take a look at these frames to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gilt Frames, etsy

• sas95
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much for the ideas. It's a lot to think about, and I'm going to mull them all over. Right now I'm leaning toward seeing how things will look with art and no additional furniture.

It's only my husband and me in the house, so we don't really need the extra storage, etc. I'm thinking with the right mix of artwork and photos, I could make something interesting and visually pleasing out of the space.

• theresa2
    10 years ago

I immediately thought about some built-in bookcases around the doorway, but didn't have a pic to share. Then this morning on Houzz, I saw just the thing. In addition, the wall to the left could display some wall art.

[Farmhouse Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/farmhouse-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2114) by Seattle Architects & Designers Dan Nelson, Designs Northwest Architects

I love your house.