Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
res_99

Calling all GREIGE paint lovers! Will it work in my new home?

res.99
9 years ago

I've always loved a nice greige (BM Revere Pewter, etc) wall color, stark white trim, and dark floors. Recently bought a new home and the trim is all very dark. Not sure I want to change that or not. Looking for paint colors to compliment the space and need your help! Please note the furniture isn't mine (listing photos from seller).

Part of me thinks the white walls actually work well, even though I've never used just white before. I don't like the brown accent wall, though.

Thank you!!

Comments (29)

• res.99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

How beautiful.

Sherwin Williams's Amazing Gray is a wonderful color.

• res.99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Think a greige would work all over the main living space? Very small home, so I'd rather have one paint color throught the main space (kitchen included) to help the great room flow.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I think the contrast between the brown trim and the white walls is a little stark, so I think something a little softer would work well. If you want something more toward beige than grey, try BM Berkshire Beige in maybe 50% intensity.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yes, a nice neutral that provides some contrast would be beautiful against the woodwork and the white ceiling.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I think a light greige like RP, amazing gray, accessible beige, etc would look very nice and would warm up the house alot!! I agree, the white is stark-- esp in the living area...

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The other option is to keep the white walls and paint the ceiling.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

A terra cotta

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Gray walls

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Lighter Gray (SW Worldly Gray)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Rattan Shade

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I think the house looks wonderful with white walls. If you're sure you want to go to gray, I think tibbrix last two colors, especially the Worldly Gray would work well.

• res.99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the advice so far. Especially to Tibbrix for the very helpful photos! After looking at them, I'm wondering if a more neutral beige (not greige) would work better. Like BM Tapestry Beige? Any other recommendations?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Tapestry Beige is SO green, and kind of a pukey green, IMO.

You sure you want a green undertone?

• res.99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No! I don't! I thought I saw otherwise in photos online. How about SW Accessible Beige?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Anyway, here is what you do: go to the store that sells Ben Moore Paint. Looking at the paint chips, first look in general for the neutral grieges/beiges. Then zero in on them, and see where they are on the color scale. The ones with green undertones will be sitting with colors that get more green; same with pink/purple, red, etc., etc. The more neutral (and IMO, nicer) grieves will be closer to browns/tans/blacks.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think I might know the color: Sherwin Williams Maison Blanche. My broker's main floor, entryway, etc., is all in Maison Blanche, and it's gorgeous.

SW Maison Blanche

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

SW Maison Blanche in my broker's home (her house is for sale, so it's okay)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I like the white paint. Just don't like the brown trim around the windows. For the baseboard it seems fine. Why don't you live with it a while before you make such an important and expensive decision. The white might grow on you.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

An old Martha Stewart color from Sherwin Williams called Pemetic Trail 8081. No chips at SW but for $7 you can get a Color To Go jug to sample it.

You can get a full spectrum version from Ellen Kennon, it's called Powdered Pebbles.

And, yes, chips and pics will pop up in Google searches.

But I'm sure you know by now that you can not judge color by what you see on your monitor, phone, tablet, etc. It's impossible for a device to duplicate paint colors.

Impossible because devices emit colored light to your eyeballs. Which is completely different from how in real life color works. In real life color, like paint chips, is reflected to your eyeballs.

You should never, ever use a monitor or screen of any kind to evaluate or compare paint colors. You must get a chip.

Tapestry Beige by the way is from the middle of the yellow hue family. Here's the color notation: Hue 4.43 Y / Value 8.40 / Chroma 1.06

Middle of the yellow hue family means it's a good ways away from the Green-Yellow hue family and its overtones of green. It has a chroma more than one which is another indicator that it's unlikely to show an edge of greeness.

But the inherent quality of light ultimately decides what it's going to look like. Grab a chip or sample and see what it looks like in your space.

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    9 years ago

I have very similar finishes, dark wood kitchen, dark floors and I used SW Accessible Beige in my kitchen and LOVE it. I used the next color up, Balanced Beige in my foyer. I think accessible would be gorgeous. It is more beige, but a very slight greige hint. If I can get a good photo I will post it. It is very cloudy and almost dark now but I will try.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I would try a greige that leans more beige than gray -- like BM Edgecomb Gray. In my experience it looks similar to the last pic Tib posted. I'm not very familiar with SW colors.

• res.99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

City2burbs, I live in the Seattle area, so a cloudy-weather photo will be perfect ;)

• allisonkbye
    9 years ago

OP, Can I ask where you got your glass orb light fixtures from? I have a slanted ceiling like yours and I really like how they are level at the bottom. They would also match a chandelier I've been looking at from West Elm.

• res.99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Regarding the lighting, I didn't buy it (haven't even moved in yet, tomorrow's our moving day), but it looks like CB2âÂÂs Firefly Pendant.

• mayaswell
    9 years ago

If you want a completely neutral greige with zero green or yellow or pink undertones, I can 100% vouch for Valspar/Eddie Bauer/Wicker. Especially in the flat finish. It's a clean, fresh greige which sounds ridiculous but it's true.

Sorry I don't have a pic of this but if you Google/Images there are lots of examples. With some pretty good reviews, too!

Kelley

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I'll echo funcolors comments. Never judge by what color paint looks like on your monitor - OR in the store under (usually) florescent lighting. And don't get just one chip; get three or four and place them on opposite walls. Look at them in daytime and at night. The color will look different on your window walls than it does on the opposite wall during the day and more the same at night. Your lighting at night will have a big effect also.

Example: I bought a SW paint (5 gallons!) that looked so warm, light and creamy in the online photos, I thought it would be perfect. Not. On the wall, it was nothing more than a boring tan. To add insult to injury, a realtor called it "foreclosure beige"! I took it back and a helpful guy at the SW store somehow made it into Perfect Greige. I loved it!

• chloenkitty
    9 years ago

I went through over 20 samples and found, at least on my walls, that SW Worldly Gray was the nicest. Not too dark, not too light and was one of the only colors that looked greige and had no pink or yellow in it.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

While I like certain Greige colors, as Tib'x has said, watch out for those green undertones. I have a warm tan thruout my home, and love it, even after 6 years! I've never had white in a home since i always preferred something a little warmer, so the color-of-choice was ivory.

I also have a lot of black or dark stained wood furniture, and feel a warmer color on the walls keeps things 'cozy' as opposed to cool. In the evening, with just a few lamps on a low light setting(I love ambient lighting!)there's actually a golden glow. Keep a warm hue!