Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
massagerocks_gw

silk trees and corner TVs

massagerocks
9 years ago

The recent threads on silk trees and size of TV consoles caused me to take a new look at my family room arrangement. Family room is open off the kitchen and the back wall has the fireplace centered on it. In one corner I have a fake bamboo tree and the other corner is our TV. I thought I had a clever idea of using my DH's old oak icebox as the TV stand, but after reading the other thread on how the consoles should be at least the width of the TV, does my TV stand look ridiculous? Should I get a real corner console? Would that look unbalanced with just the silk tree on the other side? Another option I hadnt previously considered is moving the TV to the front of the family room near the kitchen (not sure where the cable comes in though, can that be moved?). Right now my husband's eternally cluttered desk is there (he just cant keep it neat!) and I really hate the mess. I might be able to talk him into moving it somewhere else since moving it would improve my mood :) What do you think? Keep the ice box TV stand? move the TV? I've recently posted similar pics as was recently asking for help choosing a new paint color,and I apologize for the repetition...

Comments (7)

• massagerocks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the perpetually cluttered (eyesore) desk, possibly move TV here? Not sure DH would go for this location as he has an aversion to furniture and likes to lay out on the floor in front of the TV, which in this location could be dangerous! But the TV would be more obscure in this location, and the view into my family room nicer...

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I am not fond of placing the TV over the fireplace, but in your case, I don't see how anyone except someone on the sofa gets to view the TV. Certainly not from the desk or the two club chairs.

I would leave your husband's desk and give him a shelf or two above to help organize the space.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

It would help to know the size of the room and the wall, window and fireplace measurements. A simple drawing with the measurements would be good.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

My first throught was "no" to the TV over the fireplace. Too high to watch comfortably. I think the TV stand icebox could be a little longer, but not much or it will stick out into the room too much. What you have is fine. I probably would not move the TV, since you can see it from the couch and the chair. Have you thought of a computer armour instead of your husband's desk....you can close the doors when he is not working and cover the "mess" up? Could you put your two figured chairs closer to the center table? Will free up the TV and not look like it is wedged into the corner.

• teacats
    9 years ago

a)a Big vote for a corner TV stand -- in white to blend with the other white elements and trim .....

b)a BIG vote to add dark shelving (with baskets that have labels) or better yet -- a closed cupboard above your DH's desk ....give him the full use of that handy corner! :) Also maybe add a tall thin lamp in the corner of the desk OR add a swing-arm lamp from the corner wall .....

c)silk tree in corner -- you MIGHT want to elevate it a bit -- get a taller container -- turn a pot upside down in it -- and then sit the tree on top of the inner container .... add moss (and possibly other green silk vines) around the new larger pot to hide the tree/upside down pot ......OR add a thin modern standing lamp to that corner too .... along with the tree ...

• massagerocks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really appreciate these ideas. I've attached a rough drawing, not sure it'll be helpful, the scale is way off. I dont like the blg black box in the back corner, but it does have the advantage of being visible from the kitchen. I did move the 2 chairs closer together and it looks better. Teacats, my husband would love you...I try not to let the clutter bother me, but I cant stand looking at it! I hadnt thought of shelves or a cupboard above it. I did try numerous types of baskets but he doesnt use them. He doesnt work at the desk, its more of a place to put his 'stuff". Elevating the tree is a great idea. I have 2 of those trees. I had one on each side of the fireplace before the TV was born. I'm going to put it with the other one, elevating them so they're varied heights and see how that looks.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

After looking at your floor plan, I think what you have is the best solution. It sounds like moving the two chairs closer to the table helped. I like the wood look in the corner. If you want a wider console, they do sell corner consoles.

Here is a link that might be useful: tv console