Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mboston_gw

Totally disappointed in JCP

mboston_gw
11 years ago

I was in JC Penny's yesterday and was totally shocked to see that many of their standard items are being discontinued. I know they have undergone a total remake of their sales (or non sales as it seems) philosophy and it isn't working afrom what I have read. I wanted to get several panels of their Lisette sheers to replace the ones that my dog has shredded to pieces because our neighbors' cats love to sit in our yard in front of the picture window and drive my dogs insane! Anyway, they had 1 set of ivory/creme for $10 and the lady said I could order them online but they are dicontinuing some colors. It appears from the site that they are getting rid of all of them and none are left in most colors. Wish I had looked a couple months ago.

Comments (21)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

Companies change stock all the time. JCP is no different.

I DO hope that you were able to get what you wanted in your color!

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I hope they do not discontinue the variety of sizes.

They may also just be changing vendors or something and discontinuing the current offerings to avoid a mis-match in color or texture.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

It is a shame if they are getting rid of some of their staples. I worked in the window covering dept at JCP over 15 years ago, and the Lisette sheers were a big seller then, though colors did change, they always had white and ecru.

• nyboy
    11 years ago

Try looking on ebay

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Companies change stock all the time. JCP is no different.

The difference is that JCP carried the same brands practically "forever", and now that they've embarked on a new marketing direction, they are disappointing many longtime customers. I agree with the suggestion to check eBay ... you never know what will pop up there.

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, I didn't see the color I need listed, nothing lighter than sand - mine were either creme or ivory. I will check ebay.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I just looked at their website and they seem to have all colors. But I didn't click on each size though. They sure are pretty!

• runninginplace
    11 years ago

My JCP story: went in to a JCP Home Store last month looking for a lamp I'd seen online (checked the online search feature so I knew they had it in stock).

So, I walk in and go to the lamp section, where all I see are what I assume are display models. No sales help. Back to the register to get a sales person.

I walk back (trip 2) to the lamps with salesman, who tells me he doesn't think they have any lamps in boxes but he will go check. Walk back to register to wait.

Salesman comes to register, announces that because of the new marketing and layout of JCP stores, the lamps are all unboxed and set out for display so I have to pick from one already on the sales floor.

Walk back (trip 3) to pick out a *glass* lamp with a *white* shade. Yep, unboxed. To put in my car trunk to take home. By this time I'm a bit steamed. Also getting a good workout trucking back and forth to the register.

Finally I am finished paying at the register, ready to leave with my glass lamp and white shade when the sales clerk spots something I've missed. Why, quelle surprise, a big smudge of dirt on the white shade which is on the glass lamp which has been unboxed so it can sit out on display as part of the new marketing strategy.

Walk back to the lamp section (trip 4) to get another lamp.

Out to the car, where I attempt to lay the lamp gently down in my trunk though at least the shade is wrapped in a sales bag, courtesy of the sales clerk who told me (in a whisper) that most customers think the new policy of unboxing every item is ridiculous. She said people who are buying items as gifts are livid that nothing is boxed anymore.

So, I am not a big fan of the 'new improved' JCP. I was so irritated that I sent strongly negative feedback on that register receipt online survey link they give you.

And I will admit that I was stunned to be in Target the next day-a Sunday-and get a phone call from the JCP Home Store manager! He actually apologized, and I explained that as a JCP shopper of 30+ years I was really disappointed at the new procedure. I was slightly mollified that a human responded.

But I still would have preferred not to have done a half-marathon just to buy that Cindy Crawford lamp.

• cat_ky
    11 years ago

A short while back, I bought 4 white sheer panels with an insert panel at JCP. When I went to install them on the rod, not one of them, had the insert panel in the same location, it was either higher or lower, etc. I traveled back over there with the panels, and went through every panel they had, with the sales lady, and out of a fairly large stack, only 2 had the insert panel in the same place, so, I got my money back. I have some older curtains up on that window now, until I can find some that I like.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

There's a natural and linen color available in the rod pocket.....in all sizes.

• deegw
    11 years ago

I just griped to them about their search function on their website.

I was looking for window treatments with really specific parameters. Almost every time I got a hit, the item was out of stock. If you're out in every color and size, why is the item showing up in a search?

We're a bunch of curmudgeons, aren't we? :)

• bungalow975
    11 years ago

I wish this had been posted BEFORE I took a load of off-white Lisette sheers to Goodwill a few months ago! I had a set of draperies and a dozen sets of cafe curtains, which I replaced with canvas roman shades when we redecorated. Sorry!

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oakleyok and Annz - I don't see that when I go toheir site. All the colors but some darkerblue and a couple pinks are X'ed out for most sizes. Wish I could get to where you are seeing it!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

I've had the Lisette sheers before and loved them, but my one kitty pulled on them, so not in this house.

However, I use the JCP 1" basswood blinds, the only ones I can find in 1". They are great quality. I ordered two to replace our LR windows since one mechanism broke, and I read that the color is now called silk white vs. the brigher white I had. After having the silk white up on one window for a week, I cannot tell a difference at all in all types of light. So, I returned the second one. I used to be able to take it to the catalog desk, but now you have to return them to a register. There was a sign to pick up catalog orders at the regular registers. Not real happy with this arrangement.

Also, not sure of the pricing on the blinds. They used be a fantastic deal onsale. These were approximately $70 each. That might be close to the sale price becuase I bought the blinds for every window in the house for about $600 onsale.

I also loved the JCP towels. That's all we have since I put them on the wedding registry, but I think those have gone by the wayside, too.

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay - thanks guys, I went back to the site for about the 5th time today and finally realized that I was going to the colors that were on clearance and had checked the pleated ones but didn't go further to see the colors that are still available at the regular price of $10. I had wanted to order them now because I had a $10 rewards code that was good till the 21st. When I went to place the order, I saw where I could put in the JCPSHIP code and get free shipping to the store. However, it didn't want to accept that code at checkout. So I called the 1-800 number and placed the order - got my 2 panels for $10.70
    Now I'm happy! Thanks again!

Bungalow - thanks anyway!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I'm really concerned as JCP is really suffering....I believe they are downgrading them to junk status today. Such a shame as they have been a great provider of home decor items and "staples" as you say and there are very little alternatives. You'd think they would manage that space better. Especially since mail order is growing, not receding in the market place.

I find their prices very reasonable too since they went to the 'no sales' philosophy. However, I think they can't shake their "old fogey" image when it comes to clothing items. Perhaps they have to stop trying to be everything to everyone and focus on those areas where they can have better control of a niche.

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

People tend to think (maybe my generation tends to think) that JCP is just doing the same thing as Macy's or any of those interchangeable giganta stores at the end of the mall wings. I have never once in my life looked for sheers...so that's probably part of the problem...whereas Penny's is a go to for my mother (she's 66) when she needs home decor items. On the flip side, my mother would never go to Target for home decorating items. That's where she buys soap and toilet paper and cannot grasp why I would consider buying a lamp there. So you're definitely onto something with "image." They might have the perfect draperies at JCP, but despite my upbringing, I would never look there.

• phoggie
    11 years ago

I hate that they did away with their sales catalog. I was wanting to buy two heated mattress pads and called in April to see if they were on sale yet since it was getting closer to warmer weather and was told that they were on sale in Feb. I asked if they were still on sale and was told no they were back to regular price because it was still cold in ALASKA! I think their sales are down so much that it would not surprise me to be hearing unfortunate things about JCP.

• judithn
    11 years ago

Hmmm. I wonder if this is different in different places? I love JCP and shop there even more than I used to since the rebranding. They have redone my local store and it is much more upmarket than it used to be. All the interiors are brighter, more style conscious, and better laid out than they used to be. They have done a great job with the teen clothing sections, IMO. My son who is 17 even likes it because they have put dressing rooms basically inside the teen department where before the dressing rooms were a long walk away and in the men's suit department. I shop JCP for some home items, I think their kitchen department is great. I especially like the Linden Hill line, close to Pottery Barn in spirit if not an exact copy. The Sephora department is pretty good although I'll hit a Blue Mercury or Ulta store if I need makeup or hair stuff.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

The CEO is doing an interview on CBS Sunday morning right now. If you can't catch it, I'm sure the video is archived.

On Black Friday what I though was very good was they had an associate with a mobile checkout going to where the register lines were longer. She could only do credit cards, but that was a huge help. I will need to email them that I thought this was positive.

Also, I got DH's favorite Dockers for only $30 per pair.

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

I think they mentioned losing 330m last quarter. CEO was high on their new evolution. I haven't bought a thing since their sales went away. And what I used to buy has gone sky high for considering. Have never enjoyed the store we have, so all shopping was online.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz