Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Anthropologie-esque dishware?

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

I cannot help, it, I like everything that Anthropologie does. It's that "Short Hills Mall Bohemia" look that to which I am continually drawn.

Yet it is so hopelessly unoriginal and hence unsatisfying to a decor junkie to buy from them.

I am thinking of mixing and matching combinations of these dishware lines for the Maine house. Kind of like faking that I scoured these things over the years at various cool places from Brimfield to Marche aux Puces. Looking around the web I don't see anything else with a similar vibe. Should i just capitulate to the powers of Big Design? I will say that I have a lot of their china I use here in CT and have been very happy with it.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (25)

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

I think Anthro has great design, and while I completely understand your reservations, they change out their stuff frequently enough that only the trained Anthro eye is going to see this the way you do. Love the set in the second photo - I would buy that in a heartbeat.

On the other hand, if you want to do an authentic collected look, and don't mind the time on line, you could create a collection using replacements.com. But it would be time-consuming!

• Jules
    10 years ago

Who cares? If you like them, buy them. And if you like them and are so drawn to them, why in the world would they be unsatisfying?

You, family members and guests are going to simply enjoy the colors, patterns and style, regardless of their origin. I'm drawn to them, too.

If someone asked where you got them, are you really going to feel awkward in replying "Anthropologie?" Not sure how you'd be faking anything at all.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good point, MarinaGal. I just went to Replacements; overwhelming! You need to know what you want, first. But it does remind me I need a few pieces of silverware.

Juju,
    The only people I know who would know or care are you all, and I cannot fit all of you at the table, so that won't happen anyway. : )
    But I personally find it a little less satisfying to buy from THEM, KWIM?

• arlosmom
    10 years ago

You could throw cobalt blue and turquoise fiesta ware and antique ironstone into the mix and it would look more "collected over time".

I have a friend who is addicted to Anthropologie and I'm always admiring things she bought there. Their style is so fun and interesting.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

That is very nice dinnerware but I was wondering if you would scour the Maine handmade pottery.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Arlosmom, i do think mis-mathcing them would help.

Eandhl, That is too heavy and too colonial for me. I also think it can feel a little too informal.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Gosh darn it Mtn. I am a dish addict and you have gone and set off my need for more. Headed for Anthro now.....

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

It was that darn Attingham tea cup that got to me. I know exactly what I want for Christmas but doubt I will wait. Then I found Winding Meadows and oh hh my gosh, love it! I am headed for dinnerware overdose.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We have little, one cup bowls from them, in an assortment of colors. We use them all the time at every meal for just about everything. I mix them with my white countryware Wedgwood.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

If you are willing to take a chance, try eBay. You also have to know what you want...kinda like replacements, or you will get too many hits. When we bought the lake condo, I chose Fiestaware in 4 colors I liked and bought most of it on eBay in the main pieces I needed. It avoided 'place settings' of extraneous things, was cheap, and if one of the grand-kids (or us for that matter) broke something, I wasn't upset.

Love Anthro though....

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Holly, As soon as DH gets back with the brass bed, we are headed to the Anthro too. If you are going to the one in Westport,CT I will see you there, LOL

• yayagal
    10 years ago

One Kings Lane sometimes has great dishes similar to Anthropologie. Here's a sample.

Here is a link that might be useful: bowls

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, yes, Yaya ... definitely a copy and a nice one.

I have never shopped on OKL. I will look into it!

• sochi
    10 years ago

What about etsy? Lots of lovely odd pieces you could collect over the next few weeks/months. I'm looking for flatware and stemware from etsy. Just got my dishware last week (not from etsy though).

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I looked on esty. Most of it is very floral and delicate. Not quite the right vibe. I have a huge set --- 20+ place settings --- of that kind of china left by the PO. I can envision using it for holidays, but not everyday.

Maybe I will use etsy and such to supplement the Anthro

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I think it's very pretty and I, too love all their stuff.

If you're going to "fake" a collected-over-time vibe, you might as well go for Big Design anyway.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

I think everybody should have about ten sets of dishes. Seriously. (Of course, I am speaking as a crazy person whose best friend gave a set of green and white bunny toile dishes because she knew I would love them, and I do! I only use them once a year but that is reason enough to have them.). I say fill that pretty kitchen with some fun, colorful dishes you are not afraid to use. Be happy that Anthropologie has mismatched dishes you already like in one place and you don't have to spend hours on eBay carefully putting together a set you could buy with a swipe of the credit card! Save your decision making for paint, wallpaper, fabric, and fending off our gratuitous suggestions, lol. :-)

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Mtd'dux, while I love your great taste, if it were*me*, I would use plain ivory dishware and mix it with your various options. I love the way it looks in my glass front cabs, so maybe my opinion 'isn't worth the screen it's written on'.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

I saw these this summer and thought of you.
    http://aeceramics.com/oyster/

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Mtn, my Anthro fix has to be on line only as we don't have any cool stores around here. The closest great mall is Valley Forge and probably two hours away. I guess that is why I buy almost everything on line.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I am always lusting after Anthro dishes and since I can't think of a good, logical reason to toss all my perfectly good dishes, I wholeheartedly support your purchase of Anthro dishes. Go for it.

I want a whole set of the Nathalie Lete dishes with the ladybugs, fruit, eiffel tower, tiger, etc... all of them. Instead I ended up getting a bunch of French Bull plates because my family seems to like to eat off melamine.

I love Fishs Eddy stuff, too.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

DD2 buys dishes at Anthro. They hold us very well.

Flip through Chicago's POSH as well. You never know what they will have.

Here is a link that might be useful: POSH Chicago

• funkyart
    10 years ago

I love the collected look-- my mother has a dream that I'll own a funky lil cafe one day and serve on a mismatched collection of vintage china. If you don't have time or desire to collect, I think these (and some others at anthro) would serve you well!

Holly-Kay, there is an anthro (or was) just down the road from King of Prussia in Bryn Mawr. (I am a little less than 2 hr West and hope to make the trek before the holidays)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Funky, If know a few places like that; it is fun!
    Hey you Pennsylvanians are freaking everybody else out with your crazy place names! Next thing you'll be talking about Bird in Hand or Intercourse.

Allison, POSH looks a lot like FishsEddy. Never heard of it before! Thanks.

SueB, We have melamine set called "Wrought Irony" that I love. The weight is nice! FishsEddy seems to have mostly new stuff now. Years ago I got these terrific soup bowls that go with my Lenox but were from the dining room of defunct bank. Anyone ever hear of Manufacturers' Hanover?

Eandhl! Those are gorgeous. And local. I think they have to be added to the mix! Thank you so much!

Patty, I am a big believer in white. My everyday dishes are Wedgwood countryware, and all my serving pieces are white. I am trying to break out of my colorphobia for the beachhouse.

LOL, Violet.

KSWL, They sound so pretty! I have several sets of plates, and yes, it is true that you can always use them!

Anyway, I went shopping today at Anthro and didn't end up like the stuff id posted. The colorful ones were too thick. The faded aqua ones were too hacienda-esque.

I actually ended up liking:

• funkyart
    10 years ago

How gracious you are to respond to each response individually! Funny that you mention Bird in Hand and Intercourse. I used to live off the intercourse exit.. which sparked a lot of giggles and jokes from my sisters.

I like the new plates a lot better.. but sadly, I don't like them together. I love the first one but I think the second is a good fit for your colors and the whimsical look you are seeking.

Just saw your CL finds too-- what fun you must be having. Can't wait to see how it evolves!

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax