Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter1

Terrible experience with HomeClick- Warning

Just wanted to share a TERRIBLE experience with HomeClick for anyone considering buying from them.

I ordered 2 couches on November 1. Guaranteed delivery by Nov 24. My credit card was charged immediately.

I called yesterday when the couches had not showed up. They said they would find out what was going on and email me back. No contact from them.

Called back again today. "Oh, oops, we don't have these, they've been discontinued."

Um... what. I waited three weeks (wasted time from when I could have ordered from someone else) and they never even bothered to call me. And my card still has not been refunded. If I hadn't hassled them, would they have just kept my money forever and never notified me. I am still waiting for the refund.

My advice.... stay away!

Comments (16)

• pammyfay
    9 years ago

You've contacted your credit-card company, right? In my experience (also mainly with a furniture product -- I learned too late they were cash-poor and had trouble getting manufacturers to do business with them), they will expedite a credit once you send them a letter outlining all your dates and steps (e-mails, phone calls). They warn that if the merchant has a good enough reason to challenge your billing (eg., the merchant says "We believe we're getting more in after the first of the year!" -- right...), they might reverse the credit, but this has never happened to me.

Thanks for the warning -- sometimes we never know if "customer reviews" aren't just made up by their PR staff.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have gotten a call from the Homeclick customer service now. Apparently, they saw the 4 reviews and tweets I posted and wanted to decide to make things right. They are trying to find me couches, and if they do, I will update my post with what has occurred. They should have an answer for me by tomorrow and if they don't find me the couches then I will contact my credit card company.

Apparently, this is a VERY common problem with them. I should have read the Yelp reviews before ordering because there are 31 reviews (not counting mine) and almost all of them are about shipping problems/ products discontinued after weeks of no shipment.

My hope is they will come through, fix this and get me my couches right away since I have already waited three weeks :(

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

I had the same thing happen with some luggage a few years back. Haven't shopped with them again.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Beagles, if you have a furniture store that deals with Smith Brothers Furniture they are a wonderful company to deal with. I ordered two chairs from them (through a local furniture store) with custom fabric and had them in less than four weeks. The upholstery was extremely well done and the chairs are very comfortable.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Have not heard back yet on when the couches will be delivered, if at all. Will call first thing tomorrow morning and see what the situation is. Still very annoyed by this.

Thanks holly-kay. I will google them tomorrow if I don't get my couches sent via Homeclick. We are sitting on papasan chairs and an outdoor lawn chair in the living room right now and can't stand the thought of starting another 4 week wait :( But that's better than the 6-8 weeks from most places! :)

At least my formal living room stuff is scheduled for delivery between Dec 11 and Dec 22 and that's Drexel so I have more confidence in that coming on time!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I'm sorry, I know how frustrating that is!

I hope they come through or maybe you can find something I stock somewhere? I have zero patience...

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

Stay on top of your credit card charges. I ordered an area rug from RugLots Oct 5. It didn't arrive and when I finally lost all patience they said it had been shipped to the wrong address. HOW could it go to a wrong address? The only address they had for me and my credit card is this house that I'm living in. The charge was still on my credit card and no credit issued so I got my card company involved. Voila! Credit magically appeared. But they used my money for 6 weeks.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Oh Beagles I can understand that frustration. I ordered my chairs before the holidays and was pleased that they arrived so quickly. It took me longer to decide on a fabric than it took them to make the chairs. I also love that they are a U.S. company and they use solid frames. If you google them they are Smith Brothers of Berne.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

The furniture business must be tight. Back in the day we special ordered a couch/love seat set. We paid "cash" for the discount that was offered. We then waited and waited and waited they never called and explained why the 6 weeks turned into 6 months. We called and called checking periodically always told "Oh next week for sure". They eventually did come and we were satisfied with them--but the company went out of business the day after we got our delivery. Lucky for us all was as ordered.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lov_mkitchen, crossing Ruglots off my shopping list!

Fortunately, I put this on my Amex and they are very good about consumer protection. As a "trusted reseller" my order is also protected by Google. I opened a complaint with Google yesterday and Homeclick tried to get me to click and say it was resolved but I won't do that of course until my couches are IN my house.

mtnrdredux, I have no patience either! Hence lots of frustration!

holly-kay, I checked and there are no dealers for Smith Brothers in the entire state of Florida :(

arcy, you are lucky you got your furniture!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nope. I called today and they do not have the item even though yesterday they told me they can get it. This is ABSOLUTELY APPALLING. I have never had such terrible customer service in the whole of my life. They have had my money for WEEKS and they still have not processed the refund. Calling Amex now.

STAY AWAY!!!!!!! Stay far, far, far away from Homeclick.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

beagles, so sorry you have had this aggravation with Homeclick. You are wise to use AmEx, which I have found to be very responsive to the few claims I've filed.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

If it were me, I'd likely be happy that the couches couldn't be located. Can you imagine the customer service you'd get if they arrived with any issues? Maybe you dodged a bullet. I do agree it's ridiculous that they charged your credit card for items that hadn't been shipped.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good point jellytoast . But at least I would have furniture in my living room :(

linelle, Amex has been very helpful already :) Them, I would recommend!

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

Smith Brothers of Berne

the name Berne rang a bell with me... I used to live in the area. My first thought was that Amish were working there. I looked it up and it is Berne IN and Amish do work there.

I've been away from the area for about 30 yrs but back then Berne had a good name. Sounds like they still do. Amish are such good craftsmen.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I have a rule never to spend more than $500 with an Internet company that is essentially a "search and deliver" retail distributor. That includes big online presences such as Overstock. The business model is precarious and obviously is not designed with the customer in mind!