Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peachypeachy1

Suggestions for covering up breaker boxes in kitchen

peachypeachy1
9 years ago

Hello!

I'm hoping to get some advice on how to tastefully cover up these breaker boxes in my kitchen. One of the frames is about 2 inches taller than the other, while the other is about an inch lower than the former, plus most of the one breaker box is hidden behind the refrigerator. This makes it difficult for the usual fix of 'hang a canvas painting in front of the box', because honestly, what painting would look good with a 1/4 of it hidden behind something?

I don't want anything flashy or intricate. I am not planning on moving my decorative plates (or anything for that matter including appliances) so I need something plain so that my wall doesn't look cluttered.

I plan on painting the walls someday, and have an Asian decor theme throughout my house, if that helps at all with ideas.

Also, in case of emergency, the breaker boxes need to be accessible, so no permanent fixtures can be put over them.

Truthfully I'm at a loss as to how to cover these up, they are in such a difficult spot! :/ I'm hoping that you guys can look at it with fresh eyes and will come up with an ingenious solution! :)

Thanks in advance!

P.s if this were to be completely covered by one object, it has to be at least 31"w x 20"h. individually covered, it has to be with something roughly around 15"w x 18"h for each.

This post was edited by peachypeachy1 on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 11:19

Comments (17)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

A big bulletin or blackboard that covers both?

• maddielee
    9 years ago

I agree with nosoccermom, I would take down the plates and put one big chalkboard.

ML

• peachypeachy1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Possibly, though unless I can find a fancy design on a chalkboard, I think I'd prefer something a little more decorative. Thank you for the suggestion though, I'll look into that option while I wait for more responses. :)

• erinsean
    9 years ago

Is that beadboard on your walls or grooved plywood? I would get two matching pieces and tack them over your breaker boxes. Would not be invisable but would be a little less noticable. By tacking, I mean something that is not permanent...maybe hinges, maybe a groove to slide the panels on and off, maybe a hook on the panels, hung like a picture, or heavy duty velcro on the back of the panel and on the wall. Would something like that work? I am not being decorative since you have a breaker behind your refrigerator but guess you could put the matching panel on the breaker behind your refrigerator and a framed picture over the one above your microwave.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I like grandma's idea, but there are different types of chalk boards. This is ours (which is used a lot so excuse the mess)

I wonder what was 9 5/8th's :)

• gmp3
    9 years ago

Green,

Once she moves the fridge can she put a door or removable piece of artwork over the box?

At my last house mine was in the laundry room and I hung a picture that was a painted canvas on stretchers over the box. The picture was light and easily removed.

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Shadow boxes with hinges. Simply take off the back, tape a picture directly on the glass and you have a deep cover for each breaker box

• nhb22
    9 years ago

I would get a long Bamboo blind (roller type) and hang from the ceiling and over the boxes. Make the blind wide enough to go to the edge of your wall behind the fridge and come out just past the last box. Most roller blinds have the draw cord on the right side, so all it would take is to pull the cord to get to the breaker.

When my daughter had an apartment, she had a breaker box stuck dead center on her kitchen wall. We hung a long calendar over the box.

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 15:33

• peachypeachy1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooo, I do quite like that idea grandmaof3! It is in fact beadboard. :) I would say hanging it like a picture or velcro would probably be the way to go for me, but I could see where if there was room for the board to swing that hinges would be an attractive option!

Thank you all for your ideas! Please keep them coming, maybe something else will intrigue me even more than grandmaof3's idea!

GreenDesigns, I do appreciate your concern, but what you are looking at is quite literally my kitchen, minus the sink which is to the right of the stove. There is no where else for the refrigerator. We are still able to reach the far breaker box with ease. Thanks for the info all the same. :)

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

I would hang a 'fake' window that can be taken down if access is necessary. Even a painted screen would be an option, they are easy and weigh next to nothing. Here is an idea for a window:

• vedazu
    9 years ago

I'm sorry that I don't have a picture to show you--my phone isn't sending photos to my email....
    In any case, I encased my breaker box in a little cabinet with a cabinet door. You have to be able to easily open it. Have your carpenter build a tidy looking box and put a door with hinges and a nice knob.

• ingeorgia
    9 years ago

If there is room behind the fridge, I would get bead board, that hangs just to the top of the stove (or below the microwave if there is room for it to go behind the side of stove.).. hang it on track so It could slide over to the right. Two pieces, one behind the fridge, one to put your plates on. Track that goes to the wall behind stove. Then you could slide the plates over and the next piece behind the fridge over to get to your boxes. You could then hang something on the board behind the fridge but to the side so it's not partially behind the fridge which would look wonky.
    Would be able to get to the boxes quickly and easily.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I think it's very odd they would put a panel behind a refrigerator.....suppose you had a much bigger fridge?

Anyway, I would take the plates down and do a long horizontal painting that runs from the panel to at least to or beyond your stove. Check out greatbigcanvas.com.....huge selection, not terribly expensive, and you can just get the canvas stretched over a wood frame (no frame, glass, etc) making it very light and easy to remove.

• andee_gw
    9 years ago

You have lots of good ideas, above. You said you will keep the decorative plates, and I agree. However, you might consider a tighter grouping of them and that would give a bit of "breathing" room for whatever solution you choose for the breaker boxes. For the plates, keep the two on the right where they are (so they don't interfere with you at the stove, then move the other three toward the right in the same pattern. They will look more cohesive that way.

• peachypeachy1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Such great ideas everyone! I'm going to have to think long and hard on all of these. Truthfully, I'm a little scared to do anything that I'm not 100% in love with, but I've gotten so tired of looking at those breaker boxes! X-D You guys have given me a lot to go on, thank you!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

If you are keeping the plates you might consider hanging them in a different configurstion. They are much too widely spaced for that wall.