Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esga

Has anyone ever wallpapered a ceiling?

esga
9 years ago

My new studio has high ceilings, and I would like to cover them eith beadboard wallpaper and then paint with semigloss paint. The bacground is that this studio is being constructed as auxiliary space so I can move in with my husband. The main house has board ceilings painted with semigloss, andI love the look and would like to echo it in the studio.

The way I have thought of is to use Lowe's beadboard wallpaper, and I know from the revies that people have applied similar wallpaper to ceilings, but I wonder how hard and messy it is.

Has anyone ever done this?

Comments (12)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Growing up, my mother had wallpaper on the kitchen ceiling. It looked great! However, I would not paint over it. That usually does not turn out well. Why not just put real beadboard on the ceiling if you are planning to paint it? I would chose one or the other, but not both.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

We had wallpapered bathroom ceilings and laundry room ceiling growing up and it has held up really well. I don't know how technically difficult it is, because someone else did it. I *think* if you used paper that is designed to be painted, of which one pattern is beadboard, it would be ok.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Yes, I did, with the kind of wallpaper that is painted afterwards.It's a little trickier because you have longer sections and a bit messier than on the wall. The trick is to use a broom to push the paper section by section onto the ceiling.

Here is a link that might be useful: paper a ceiling

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

If it's a really high ceiling, I guess you need serious scaffolding. We had it done in an attic bedroom where ceiling lines were so funky that i looked better to just continue the paper.

Love to see it when you are done!

• esga
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is indeed wallpaper that is meant to be painted. I guess I will have to get a pro to do it. I am not sure I want to deal with trying to hold those lengths up on the ceiling, which is 30' long. I am pretty sure the wallpaper rolls aren't that long, but even so it is bound to be a challenge.

Cyn, there would be a huge cost difference between this and putting up actual beadboard. We are on a serious budget. The studio is in a detached garage, and we were not able to get a renovation loan because it is detached. Therefore this has to be all cash. Eek.

• blubird
    9 years ago

I've done quite a few wallpapered ceilings in my day, but I would not have taken a job where I would have to work out over my head on a very tall ceiling with super long lengths of paper. You can get rolls of paper in long lengths, but I'm not sure you'd find a big difference in price between having real beadboard put up vs. having someone put up wallpaper on the ceiling. Wallpaper is not an inexpensive option these days.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I have learned something new! I had no idea that there was such a thing as paintable wallpaper! Interesting, although I am not sure I see the point.

Actually, I think cash is the way to go for most things if possible. Good for you, Elisabeth! Can't wait to see your finished project.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

We have 2 papered ceilings. We hired out for install though and then we painted it ourselves. They did use scaffold for the 10 ft ceilings which seemed like it definitely made it easier to install. It was some type of relief wallpaper and wasnt as inexpensive as I thought it should be-lol.

What about the tongue and grove imitation beadboard sold at the big box stores? They are DIY and paintable to boot.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I wallpapered a powder room ceiling in a previous house... it looked really nice when done, but it was much more difficult to do than walls (I did it alone). the ceilings were only 9' high and the whole room was only ~ 5x6 or so... I never could have done 30' ceilings, even with a helper probably!! I would hire out for sure!! if not, make sure there are several helpers and ladders!!

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Never wallpapered a ceiling, but spent days on a scaffold with a steamer plate taking off old paper that was failing in a very large room. Likely easier to install! Around here they rent the motorized lifts on wheels for interior use at the tool rental places on a daily or weekly basis, about $500 a week, that replaces scaffolding. Sort of a mini cherry picker that fits through doors. Maybe in your area, too?

The link below carries beadboard paper in 33' rolls in both prepasted & "paste the wall" versions & mentions the latter as recommended for ceiling application. Pasting the ceiling would be much simpler than trying to deal with wetted paper at such heights. They carry the paste as well. Good prices & reviews, free shipping for purchases over $100.

Didn't know wallpaper came in this kind of Lyncrusta light version. Very nice & great possibilities!

Here is a link that might be useful: Paste the wall beadboard paper

This post was edited by vasue on Sun, Nov 30, 14 at 17:41

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Don't use the Lowes beadboard wallpaper .Been there..Done that..
    It's thin and cheap looking.
    Plus once you paint it the "bead" is barely noticeable.

Graham and Brown (like the one Vasue posted) is a much better paper.

Even still.... I find the Evertrue planks to be easier then even the wallpaper.I used it on a wall.
    The attached is a blog where they used them on the ceiling.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.beneathmyheart.net/2011/11/how-to-install-wood-ceilings/

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

I wallpapered a powder room ceiling by myself. You will need some extra hands for a large ceiling. It's a neck killer!!