Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Saved by GW

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

Back in April I talked about ditching or painting this hatrack, which had come with the furnishings in our 1904 beachhouse.
A number of you defended it, and i decided to keep it. It is in my kitchen and I had a little cushion made in a linen fabric to match the fridge, with rope trim, and then hung aprons from it.

So glad I kept it, and kept it dark. All the doors are still the original dark wood so it works nicely with the painted white floors and walls imho... Plus I like its offbeat-ness.

Long shot w fridge color; hatrack is to the right when you enter.

Comments (17)

• enduring
    9 years ago

But I don't see a hat rack. Do you have a picture of it?

just editing to say that I do know what a hall tree, hat rack, etc looks like, lol. It's just that when I posted this remark, there was no picture of the furniture item showing in my GW window. I thought OP forgot to post it. I had made my comment just moments after the OP posted this thread. Maybe their was something wacky going on with the site.Anyway now I see the first picture and it does look great.

This post was edited by enduring on Sun, Nov 9, 14 at 6:33

• amykath
    9 years ago

That is beautiful!

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I dig it!!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

It's the first picture. The hall tree.

This is one of those things that I was dead-set against painting especially when it was decided that the floors would be painted. Ultimately it would have been none of my beeswax but I still wouldn't have been happy about it.

• enduring
    9 years ago

Wow, when I first saw this posting the only picture that was presented was the one with the refrigerator. Now I see the rest of the pictures. Very nice.

• Skypathway1
    9 years ago

I'm glad you didn't paint it - this is a beauty.

• User
    9 years ago

Very cool! Is that a flat drawer underneath the seat?

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Love it. Love the kitchen too!

• rockybird
    9 years ago

It looks great! I also love your dining area, turquoise fridge too! Is that a tiny puppy in the first pic I see?

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I'm so glad you didn't paint it or get rid of it! It's not the typical hall tree. Love the motifs in the carvings.

Love the fridge. I have absolutely terrible house envy every time I see pics of your beach house!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, JLC, it sure is not typical. Which is to me is always a good start. My DH gets credit for the fridge, and everyone comments on it. Another poster here has the same fridge (was it GScience?) and we have the same experience she does, everyone wants it, and especially men (which strikes me unexpected but maybe it looks a little like a car).

Rockybird, Thx! That is a doorstop. I once posted on that subject, since we need a lot of them in this house, and now I have quite a diverse array!

Hi Sueb! Thank you!

KSWL, yes, it is, looks like a great place to hide something, hmm,

Thanks, Skypath, curious what was your old screenname?

Thanks, AKT, JellyT, Enduring.

Yes, Pal, you definitely spoke eloquently in its defense. It's too ornate for me, but it's kind of a fun element to have. And it's always handy, with three of the distaff persuasion in the house, to have a mirror as you dash out the door.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

It looks great and the aprons look adorable hanging there!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

It's perfect...just the right character and colors.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

It's so perfect! I absolutely love it --- reminds me of my grandparents' hall stand --- sans the turquoise aprons and cushion, though.
    Is that a life puppy?

• lilylore
    9 years ago

Posted by enduring But I don't see a hat rack. Do you have a picture of it?

What mtnrdredux called a "hatrack", is often called a "hall tree" or "hall stand", which is a combination hatrack and umbrella stand, usually with a key drop (small table top) or a bench to sit and tie your shoes.

This is a beautiful contrast to the white floors and modern elements. Great place to hold the beach umbrella that's always tangled up in the closet. There was usually a lead pan to catch water under the umbrellas, often it is missing.

Smart to leave the original finish, it is harder to unpaint something like this than paint it.

Here is a link that might be useful: antique hall trees

This post was edited by Lilylore on Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 18:32

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I hope you put on one of the aprons and sashay about the kitchen. And pose next to the fridge. You should do it & post a pic :-)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Annie, and Joanie.

JLC,
    Oh yes, we do use the aprons (Anthropologie, natch'), whenever sashaying is called for. Incredibly (or probably not, with the powers that be at Pantone controlling the world) the colors are almost the same.

Lilylore,
    I was thinking Coat tree, but had a touch of aphasia. I can only imagine the ordeal of removing paint from such a thing. But to be honest i felt it was quite homely and it would be lucky to find a home even sullied with paint. It was in a dark hallway in the house, and I had it slated for Goodwill, when I noticed the hooks, which are shaped like Lilies and have chased detailing. I was going to remove the hooks, but that seemed to leave the piece in sad shape for adoption. So I decided to press it into service by the back door, and my first thought was paint. It was also much harder to like in the original context of the PO's kitchen, so I had to use my imagination, to wit:

Nosoccer,
    It is a doorstop, supposedly a retriever. We try not to use AC so with all of the windows open and breezes we need a lot of doorstops. I bought quite a variety of antique and handmade ones on Etsy. This one is for the "maid's room" which is usually where the dog sleeps.

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 19:39