Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyaustin

Calling cliff_and_joann---I need your expertise!

nancyaustin
14 years ago

Joann, I posted a question on the Kitchen forum about which type of IKEA butcher block counter--birch, beech or oak--would best accept a dark stain. The experts there told me to consult you! The counter will be used in our laundry room. I plan to seal it first, then apply a dark stain, and then apply Waterlox, since that seems to be the preferred finish by the Kitchen experts. Which wood would best accept a dark stain? Do you have any recommendations about type of sealer, stain or finish? I will appreciate your expert guidance! Nancy

Comments (9)

• quiltingkaren
    14 years ago

We do some wood work and I think if you seal it first it will not accept a stain. I hope joann replies cause I would like to here what seh say. Karen L

• rjinga
    14 years ago

maybe a wood conditioner is what you would do first, then the stain will go on more evenly and then seal it. I looked into these IKEA butcher block counter tops and spoke to the sales people at IKEA, there are usually at least ONE sales person in the kitchen dept. who actually has practical experience and they often times will be able to help you. Plus I've seen samples at the store, showing different ways and colors to stain, so perhaps they might be able to help you too.

• nancyaustin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

rjinga, you're probably right that a wood conditioner would be more appropriate than a sealer. I will talk with the IKEA kitchen salespeople when I go in to buy the countertop. Thanks to you and to Karen for your suggestions. Hope Joann sees this post!

• cliff_and_joann
    14 years ago

Hi Nancy, Oak will stain dark. Here is how to finish it.
    We seal all wood before staining it. I either use BLO
    (boiled linseed oil) or de-wax shellac.
    If you use Blo, you apply it with a rag and rub off the excess -- wait three days and then sand it lightly, clean with a tack rag and then apply the stain. Apply the stain with a rag and rub off the excess stain after a few minutes.
    Let it dry thoroughly (sometimes you need to wait 48 hrs before applying waterlox)
    when the stain is dry -- again lightly sand with fine sand paper and tack clean.
    Then begin to apply the waterlox.
    Apply the 'original' waterlox (thin coat) with a rag.

I like to wait 24 hours between coats of waterlox.
    I apply several coats of waterlox...do not sand between
    the coats of waterlox. When you are satisfied with the finish, then lightly sand with 0000 steel wool, clean with a tack rag and then give it the 'final coat' of waterlox.

Note: to get the oak wood to stain evenly, I prefer BLO
    in fills in the softer areas (the darker areas, which is chactoristic in oak)

What stain are you using? I have good luck with minwax oil based stains. I mix English chestnut, Special walnut, and golden Pecan...

• cliff_and_joann
    14 years ago

nancy. This is a counter we made for our bathroom.
    It's QS white oak, the light wood is maple, and the dark stripe is black walnut.

We used English chestnut and golden Pecan. To make it darker, I would have mixed english chestnut with special walnut and left out the golden pecan.

• nancyaustin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Joann, Thank you for your detailed instructions and the photos of your incredible counter! Your bathroom must be beautiful. Given the number of days between coats, it looks like I should buy the countertop now and begin work. I will use the Minwax oil based stains, probably the English chestnut and special walnut. Or, what type of stain would you suggest to get a dark cherry/walnut color? Nancy

• cliff_and_joann
    14 years ago

You're welcome...to get a cherry walnut color, I would use the English chestnut and Special walnut. Try mixing mostly english chestnut about 60 -70 % and the rest in Special walnut. Stain test pieces of oak, until you get the desired color.

• nancyaustin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you again, Joann, for your expert advice. I'm on my way to the hardware store to pick up the supplies. You're a GW treasure! Nancy

• judithva
    14 years ago

cliff and joann,
    Wow, your bathroom counter is just stunning. I hope you will post photos when you are finished. And of course, you are wonderful for posting such great information!