Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy_bell

Which is better?

Christy Bell
9 years ago

I've been torn. Here are two pictures - one has sheer curtains hung about 5" above window frame. Second picture has grommet curtains (basket weave fabric) hung half way up wall. Which looks better - height and fabric type? I'm also debating getting linen sheer drapes hung higher. I need as much light as I can get in this room.

I only have 9" on the wall from the outside edge of the window frame to the corner.

Comments (34)

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic 2

This post was edited by christyinco on Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 11:12

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I think I'd like the first curtains but hung higher. The second ones look a little too top-heavy for the room for some reason. Beautiful room. You didn't ask, but maybe without the darker pillow?

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I agree with outsideplaying. I like the options you have when you use curtain rings and clips.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like the grommet curtain, and I'd do only two, one of the left of the left window and one on the right of the right window.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Don't do the grommets if you need to shut the drapes at all...it will take finessing each time you do to keep them looking right.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Grommets or not, I definitely like the curtains hung higher.

• carolt924
    9 years ago

Grommet curtains, I also like Tibbrix's idea of using only one pair for both windows. Love your headboard.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm also considering making roman shades for the windows out of the headboard fabric (replacing current honeycomb shades).

I won't need to use the panels for privacy - they will be stationary.

The dark pillow on the bed is actually a really pretty blue color that matches a chair on opposite wall. Hard to tell from these pictures, I know.

This post was edited by christyinco on Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 12:27

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are some pics with only using one panel. Also, attached a couple pics of the room (don't mind the big orange ladder)!

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

View 2

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would add a inside mount roman shade to this small window also, I think. Or maybe leave it open - we have plenty of privacy.

• theclose
    9 years ago

Definitely higher, regardless of fabric. Since they are stationary, I would go with whatever "look" you are trying to achieve. The grommets, to me, look more contemporary and crisp, while the linen curtains are more flowy and romantic.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am going for a casual relaxed look. The rest of the house I would consider to be rustic contemporary

• amykath
    9 years ago

I like higher. Both curtains look nice. I am thinking the grommet curtains look more tailored. Not that it means the others do not look great. Just a difference between more relaxed and airy and more tailored.

Lovely room!!!

I would hang the pic above the bed just a little higher.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I like the neatness of the grommet curtains because of your lack of space, but it is so neat and precise that I want to add a touch of the flowy and romantic. It's a beautiful room but it needs something so it doesn't start to feel like a hotel room. Maybe the softer curtains and a more relaxed, fun throw at the foot of the bed?

• dirtyshoes
    9 years ago

I like the first picture. It gives your room a more cozy look. It draws you in.

I love everything about your room, especially the canvas above the bed. Can you share the source?

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I think the rod looks weird without a panel on each side. It just sticks out there all black and hard.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I don't like the rod at the halfway point up the wall. I think it would look best all the way up or all the way down, but that mid-point looks odd to me (especially with the curtains to one side).

Also, I prefer the first curtains. I have never been a fan of grommet curtains. They remind me of hotel shower curtains.

You have a very pretty room. It is warm and inviting. I love the reading nook you created with the space left to the side of the closet. Perfect use of that area :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Usually I would say high, and one set each side.

But I like what you have on the right, as a set. I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe the grommets are not delicate enough for a BR for me ... I would duplicate that.

I know the logic about higher rods, but I'm just never sure if I like it. When I did it in the beachhouse LR, i had to add bamboo blinds to cover the wall space before it felt right to me.

Love your coverlet and your room.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Love your room - looks cozy and soothing. My preference would be the first drapes (soft and flowing with the rings). I like the rod placed like that also.

May I ask - where did you get your red-bird art? I love birds!

• amykath
    9 years ago

Ok. Just re-read you like casual.

I would go with the drapes on the right in the first pic. I would hang them higher and I would use two panels per window.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here is a mock up of your panels on the right side hung higher. Not the best, but gives you an idea.

I really like it.

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

I am in the minority here about the curtain rod height thing. I don't think all curtains (or even most) need to be hung ceiling high. I like the curtain in the first pic but would move the rod to be even with the top of the window trim. No need for a curtain on the small window IMO.

• User
    9 years ago

I think your curtains and rod height on the right side window look good as is.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

+1 to kswl's comments. I like the lower rod height with those curtains there. And I much prefer those ringed curtains in your beautiful room.

• Mike121
    9 years ago

As far as I've got a clue from these interiors, the second one gives a much clearer view of the room giving an uncluttered look to the whole room. So i'll stick to the second one.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I'm leaning towards the two panels on rings hung at the lower position. I think that the lower position looks good with the artwork over your bed.
    I tend to the rustic modern look myself (love your bedroom and colors) and I like curtains on rings. They are casual and clean.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Final Update: I opted for the rings on the curtains and went sheer. I hung them a bit higher than the first picture. I am so pleased with the way it has turned out and makes me happy to be in it. The dark blue on the chair and pillow looks really deep in the pictures - more like an indigo blue in person. I've attached final pics. Thanks so much for all the feedback and suggestions. I am definitely going to go higher for the curtains in my great room area as that space needs the height with vaulted ceilings. Of course, that is still yet to come! :)

Oh, the picture above the bed is from Home Goods.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

View 2

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another View - 3

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Area open to adjoining bathroom and entrance to room

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Reading Corner - Final Pic

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Love it! Congrats on making a decision and getting it done!

• theclose
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Looks great. Enjoy!