Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Do you have your flat screen TV on something other than a console

Sueb20
12 years ago

I think this must have been covered here before, but maybe not recently. If you have your flat screen TV on something that is NOT the usual TV console, can you show me what you do have? I have been on the lookout for something interesting for our living room TV. The TV itself is not large, 30" or 32" I think, and the space I have to work with is about 54" wide. I'm trying to find something that is 18" or less deep. Right now we have a low open shelf unit from PB, which is OK, but I hate the fact that the back of the unit is open so you can see the cords hanging down, and I also just think I'd prefer something like an antique sideboard or shelf unit (with a closed back -- can drill holes for cords). We are getting a Stickley bookcase for a nearby spot in the room, and I looked at Stickley TV consoles as well. They have one that would work, but it's 22" deep and our room is so narrow, I'm determined to find something more shallow. But I do have that as a backup plan. There is also a furniture store near here that can make pretty much anything, but that's going to be $$$$. I would love to find something kind of interesting and funky and not too much money! Do you have an interesting TV stand/console option to show me? I need inspiration!

Comments (26)

• natal
    12 years ago

The TV in the kitchen area sits on an 18" deep cabinet I bought at Pier 1. Since it doesn't have glass doors I had to get a remote control extender to use the cable box which sits behind the doors. That's the pyramid-shaped object you see to the right of the TV. The cabinet is much more practical for our use because it has storage for things not audio/video related.

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

I don't have mine on something as much as it's in something. A tv lift console. These days they come in all sizes, styles, prices and finishes. I chose ours because there was only one wall to put the tv on in our family room and I wanted the focal point in there to be something more than a big flat black screen . . . at least some of the time. Here it is up which, as you can see, pretty much dominates the room:

When it's down, though, we're able to see the art work hung over the console, which makes me very happy ;^D

Lift consoles may not be for everybody, but this gives me the flexibility that I wanted in here.

Another idea might be a piece like this one, also in my family room. Originally designed to go in a study or office, I have it instead sitting behind my sofa. It has lots of great storage and could easily hold a flat screen tv on top, along with a lamp, etc. and then lots of room underneath for whatever.

Lynn

• fully2
    12 years ago

I had a European entry way piece that had hooks, a mirror, umbrella stand and small glove drawers. Looked to be handmade and a bit rough
    I used it in guest room for guests to hang coats and clothes but they never used it.
    So I repurposed it into a flat screen tv stand. Took off the hardware and mounted the tv. For the tv components I used a Tria system that had glass shelves. All the cords were hidden behind the unit. Worked great
    Did add a hook behind the top to the wall because it seemed top heavy

• User
    12 years ago

Use your bookcase with fabric stapled to the back? I did that at another house in another life.

• haley_comet
    12 years ago

Sorry if you may have seen this pic before but thought I would share anyways just in case ;)

(house in mid reno during this pic)

• kiki_thinking
    12 years ago

A local arty furniture shop here was selling large art easels made from reclaimed wood that had been modified to hold flat screen tvs.

• juliekcmo
    12 years ago

Ours is on a sideboard. We removed a drawer, and drilled a hole in the back to run wires/plugs. The Cable Box sits here. If we ever want to use again as a sideboard, the drawer will cover the hole. I have a labarynth of cable ties and some wood screws put onto the back side to hold the power strip, and all the wires. If you look closely, the cable wire comes up through the basement floor in the corner, and the entire works plugs into one of the few 3 prong plugs we have on the top of the mantle.

• mjsee
    12 years ago

The FS in our bedroom is on a MCM dresser--

• sochi
    12 years ago

We have a TV lift similar to lynninnewmexico's. We only see the TV when we are watching it - a big deal for me as I'm not a fan of TVs generally. You may have to spend a few dollars getting a custom cabinet built, but you can do something quite funky and compatible with your style.

• camlan
    12 years ago

My TV is on a low bookcase. We drilled holes in the back for cables and wires and stuff. Some of the shelves hold all the electronics--cable box, Wii, DVR and sound system. The rest hold the DVD collection.

No picture because I just moved and that area is a total mess. But the closed-back bookcase does hide all the wires.

• sj153
    12 years ago

lynninnewmexico
    What manufacture is your lift cabinet from. Does your cable box and DVR fit inside the cabinet?

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

SJ153: the maunfacturer is Landmark. Here's a pic I still have saved of the lift in an ad they once ran for it. At the time, it had more storage options than most other lifts. I haven't kept up with what's out there lately, though.
    Lynn

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I love those lifts!

Our flatscreens in the great room and master br are both in antique wardrobes. My husband reconfigured the shelves and made a hole in the back of each piece for cords. Tvs are out of sight when not in use. In the kitchen, we have a small flatscreen on one counter.

• kitschykitch
    12 years ago

Your TV has to be the right size and height for the distance to the prime viewing area (you can google that calculation)

One you have the size and height, do you want to wall mount or deck mount?

When you've answered those questions you will have the parameters for a piece to go underneath. Almost anything will do. If you want to hide cords, choose something solid.

• ellenm08
    12 years ago

I think that you can really use any surface for TV watching. Just make sure that the height is correct for viewing and that it's stable. We had ours on an antique table in our first apartment and almost knocked the thing over every time we walked by.
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/5-ways-to-decorate-around-a-flat-screen-tv-stsetivw-vs~271411-Ways-to-Decorate-Around-a-Flat-Screen-TV

Here is a link that might be useful: [Ways to Decorate around a flat screen[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/5-ways-to-decorate-around-a-flat-screen-tv-stsetivw-vs~271411)

• lori316
    12 years ago

Not sure if you saw this post I did a couple of weeks ago. This is a very old bureau, repurposed. It's gotten a few touch-ups since then (around the door)

Here is a link that might be useful: TV stand

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks fot the ideas and pics. Now that I know about remote control extenders (thanks, Natal) I may have more options. I plan to hit a couple of antique shops this weekend to see what I see. The real issue is the width of the space (meaning how wide the console/whatever can be). Ideally it would be around 48" so while I like the idea of a sideboard type of piece, most will be too big. OTOH, I did find a regular ol' console at Room & Board that I like a lot, so I could always go that route. Still holding out for a while to see if I find something cool, though!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I have an antique dresser for ours for now until we can have it wall mounted (dh is afraid to try). I love old dressers and have a few strays in our house, so that has worked for us. Our bedroom one (smaller) is on a dresser as well, until we also get that mounted.

Natal - does that remote control extender work for tivo? I'd love to get those off the surface if possible.

• natal
    12 years ago

Dianalo, I think they work on all audio/video equipment.

Here is a link that might be useful: remote control setups

• susieq07
    12 years ago

kit Tv, pulls out swivals:

media room Tv's: dh built lower shelf

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

This is great.
    Remember the days when you didn't worry about what furniture
    you placed your TV on...
    {{!gwi}}

.. ................ Because your TV was the furniture

• Miz_G
    12 years ago

Great to see this thread. I'm about to combine households and he's bringing his TV to replace mine, which isn't good enough. ;-D

Instead of the usual console, we're going to use my antique sideboard.

I'll attempt to post a pic, first time I've done this (if it works, this is an old pic of it, when I first brought it home):

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Sideboard

• compareflatscreentvs
    12 years ago

I have my website www.compareflatscreentvs.co.uk
    It allows you to check 1000's of tvs and compare brands such as sharp lcd televisions and sony led televisions.
    We used it to buy our flatscreen tv which we put in our bedroom and my flatmate bought a flatscreen tv from the website online and wall mounted it.
    I would look around for a cheap tv and get it wall mounted in your living room.

Here is a link that might be useful: compare flatscreen tvs

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

I tried-- I looked for about a yr for something antique or vintage, but almost everything was just too high.

I finally decided I did not like the clash of the old/new. It felt too jarring for me to have it on something old when I finally did get something almost the right height.

If you've watched Friends, it worked at Monica's apt. (I think she had an Art Deco sideboard or dresser) but not mine. I need a different kind of house!

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

Here it is:

• juliekcmo
    12 years ago

forboystoo,

You forgot to mention the BEST part. Which is when console TV finally does break down, it then becomes the TV stand for the new TV sitting on top!

I swear to you all that my grandparents house had this. I bet others did too. Anyone?