Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Fake plants II

mtnrdredux_gw
12 years ago

I inquired a while back about fake plants but Ive not been able to find anything that works.

I have a pretty close to dead white azalea topiary. It's probably a bout 33-34" high, in an 11" diameter clay pot.

The room it is in tends to be warm (I think because it is above the furnace, but I also suspect the radiant floor heating might be malfunctioning) and dry (gas fpl). It has a lot of windows including a cupola so I guess it gets some sun but not sure how much.

I need to use something ... sigh... fake. But I like the composition as far as the height and shape of my dead azalea. The orchid on the left stays and there will be photos there but not necessarily these. Nothing I see is the size and shape of my dying friend. The few topiaries I see are doubles, and I don't want that.

What would you use on the left side, that cannot be killed. (NOTE: please avert your eyes, there are some family photos visible)

{{!gwi}}

Comments (17)

• allison0704
    12 years ago

What about a potted olive topiary from C&B?

Here is a link that might be useful: potted olive

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't understand how you found that and I didn't!? That is a total doppelganger ... thank you Allison

• allison0704
    12 years ago

I googled "indoor potted topiary" looking for an example, or website. ;D

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I notice they have a great orchid, too, for when I kill that off ( and hey, when did orchids become so cheap and so hardy... there's a botanist somewhere that deserves a big raise)

(btw, how do you copy images from a webpage, like you did w cnb? I'm on a MAC if that matters)

Here is a link that might be useful: orchid

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

aha, i needed a modifier for topiary. i was googling topiary under images and getting all the living stuff, too, to wade through

thanks

• User
    12 years ago

Everything made by NDI is gorgeous, looks absolutely REAL and will last for years.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kswl,
    Yes the NDI stuff and Diane James is terrific. But I was unable to find the right size and shape from either. Which was a happy failure since the prices are quite high! I could kill a lot of real plants for that amount... lol

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Do you like more mass, like this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: another choice

• Olychick
    12 years ago

Go to the website with the photo, put your cursor on the photo and RIGHT click and a box will pop up.
    LEFT click on VIEW IMAGE INFO
    A box will appear with the line LOCATION: followed by that photo's location on the web starting with HTTP and ending with JPG.
    Copy and paste the location into your post at GardenWeb.
    Type in front of it img src=
    It will look like this:
    img src=http and so on, ending with jpg
    Then add carets at the beginning and end.
    Preview the message and if you don't see the photo, something has gone wrong.

It is complicated to explain, easy to do. It's easier if you print this out and follow the instructions.

• les917
    12 years ago

You could also look for faux or artificial rosemary topiaries.

• suero
    12 years ago

What about using dried real plants, like eucalyptus, honesty (money plant), bittersweet, straw flowers, statice, baby's breath?

Here's an example of a basket of dried flowers. It will keep its color until you have to throw it out for getting too dusty.

A bittersweet arrangement. Bittersweet is orange, not red, so you can use it in your non-red Christmas decor

Honesty (money plant)

Here is a link that might be useful: some pretty dried flower arrangements

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

to copy an image, many of them can be saved on your hard drive by right-clicking on the image and clicking on "save picture as". then select the folder you want to save it to. If this doesn't work, the previous method described will work. I save photos from houzz by clicking on the image and copying the code, then pasting it into a dummy post here on the forum that I start just for the purpose. After you paste it into the text box here, click on "preview message", and then you can right click and "save as" from there.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I need the same size and shape IMHO, eg about 33-34" tall, and a stem with a ball.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

I'm on a Mac too. What Olychick said, but to "right click" I have to use two fingers on my track pad. No right click-er on a track pad. (laptop)

NDI are gorgeous. I have a few of their orchids around the house. Every now and then, PB will have one in a pot (small) that looks real. Ferns too - loose. I have a couple I brought home and planted in pots with real dirt. Sometimes cover dirt with some moss. Everyone thinks they are real... or either they need glasses.

Succulents? C&B, PB have decent ones (no pots). Have found several at locally owned home stores. I also put them in my own pots and use real dirt.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    12 years ago

lol about needing glasses, Allison!

Crate and Barrel has some nice little ferns right now, already potted up
    www.crateandbarrel.com/search.aspx?query=potted%20fern

Also mtnrd, not sure if you would be interested in these, to help with non-red Christmas stuff, but C&B also has some cedar topiaries.

Becky

Here is a link that might be useful: C&B cedar topiaries

• birdgardner
    12 years ago

Try eBay, or Michaels, or Bombay company. Or decapitate one of those two ball topiaries inside the lower ball.

If you want real plants, you could try an ivy topiary or wreath, or jade plant if light is strong. Maybe move plant to windowsill during day and desk at night, if you work?

Here is a link that might be useful: eBay 12 inch boxwood topiary

• tinycastles
    12 years ago

I prefer the scrawny/scraggly topiary if it is comparable in size to the current real plant.

After you started your last thread, I clicked on one of the links provided in your thread and checked out the NDI stuff for the first time. Little did I know that I already owned three of their small potted herbs! (pic below) I have two lavenders and a basil plant. All three are wonderfully realistic, faux dirt and all. I am sure any arrangement from this company would be top notch if my little cheapy herbs are any indication;)

Oh, and I purchased mine at HomeGoods. My little potted plants were not expensive through the aforementioned linked store site (only the lavender was remaining, and it was on sale). I guess Home Goods does receive shipments of quality faux flowers/plants, but it's always a crap shoot.

The topiary posted by Allison looks perfect, so I would be tempted to order that and call it a day.