Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_129235

Step 4: a small gallery wall

Boopadaboo
9 years ago

I have been wanting to do a gallery wall for awhile. One of these days I will tackle my hallway and the pile of black and whites I have :) In the meantime, now that you all have helped me pick a wall color, a sectional, and a rug, I am moving on to the walls in my family room.

Don't ask me why, but these paintings just spoke to me and I spent 3 hours in a local auction place this week waiting for them to come up for bid. Of course they were one of the last 3 items (of about 300!) I almost came home with a few other things but sanity prevailed.

I plan to hang them with clips like this:

On this wall...(about 27 x 60)

Option 1

Option 2 (they will be straighter and the bottoms will be aligned)

DH and I have differing opinions and I am open to suggestions.

Thank you!

Comments (17)

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Option #1

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Those are really pretty prints.

Are the toy cubbies going to remain there? If so, I would have something simple, one thing, above that area, not a grouping of many things.

I totally get toys in your living space. I was there once.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The expedit with the toys will be staying. We used to have a whole wall and are down to that for now. Someday it will probably be just baskets or books.

They are actually oil paintings on board/panel. All done by the same artist.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I loved the clip idea when you first showed it. It would be fun shopping for vintage and different styles of clips.

I like the first arrangement with a couple of subtle changes.
    The horizontal thru the middle and top is wavy/changes but on the bottom you have them all lined up straight. I would try centering the out side pieces (push up) so they don't line up on the bottom. I wounder if switching the two left pics so the big is over the little would offer more variety. .

PS. after posting my mock up, I see another change, switching the two bottom outside pics, so autumn stream is on the right. The sizes match better with their upper partner, and it would look better to break up the two pics with the tall green tree.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 15:33

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Option 1.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Go with the flowers, you love them and that's all that matters. Art is subjective and not to match the surroundings. I think they're charming.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The crashing waves seem to throw off the peacefulness of the group. I'd probably use it somewhere else. I also like the figure of the woman being central since it seems to be her world.

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

If those were my choices the 1st one ...with the upper left a pinch to the right.
    But I prefer the "all over the place" look.
    Nothing lined-up.

• los348
    9 years ago

27" height is not so tall for a galley wall. Also you have a lot going on under where you will hang your prints.

I think how you hang them is less important than how they relate visually to what is under them or beside them.

My suggestion would be to either hang them elsewhere or change the toys (?) out for some thing more in keeping with the landscape theme of the art work.

This is a photograph of same theme pictures hung in a stairway.

• sable_ca
    9 years ago

I like what May_flowers wrote. There seems to be a bit of a story here, with the girl at its center, in her peaceful world. I would look for the logic of the setting with her surrounded by the scene. I also agree that the stormy sea is somewhat out of place and might hang it elsewhere, or at least farther from the girl.

I do prefer option 1 - perhaps exchange the seascape with the second picture in at top right.

Would you consider hanging a long narrow shelf under the paintings? It would create a visual separation between them and the toys. There doesn't have to be anything on it; maybe some pebbles, bits of wood, things from nature. The paintings are charming. You are going to have a cozy space with pretty visuals!

• msrose
    9 years ago

I like Option 1.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by LucyStar1 on Sun, Nov 2, 14 at 1:01

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I don't see a problem with the paintings hanging over the kids toys. Come on, these aren't priceless Monets. I would have loved to have my play area decorated with oil paintings when I was a kid -seems perfectly okay to me.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To me the fact that they are all by the same artist groups them together to me. I have no idea why, but I really like this artist's work!

I did think about putting some kind of kids posters or more causal thing over the kids toys. But they have a play room and this will someday be holding something else. I also already have a wall in their playroom that rotates their artwork...

So it is done. I got DH to hang them. He says it is very annoying using the clips and you have to really futz with them (and they are still not perfectly straight and he used a level!) . I think I would like to paint the clips. It will be on the someday list :)

I can't believe I got them Thursday and they are hung already. Might be a record for us. :)

• sable_ca
    9 years ago

They look wonderful, peaceful and thoughtful at the same time. I second your idea to paint the clips. And am in awe that you decided to do this and just got it done!

• lilylore
    9 years ago

That really looks cute.

I noticed in the original that some of the canvases had clips but looked like they were hanging from the back, probably two nails in the wall or on wire drawn through eye-hooks that were screwed to the inside of the stretcher bar so they still lay flat against the wall. or maybe those sawtooth hangers, you just pound them in with a hammer.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both. The pics do not do justice to the paintings.

I just love looking at them.

These are all painted on a board, so I dont want to ruin them by putting a nail in them. I think it might mess them up somehow.