Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
torsade

Help with bedroom? LOTS of pics

torsade
13 years ago

My husband and I bought our first home together, in April, and we are starting to make it "ours." It's a 1700 sq foot 1950s brick ranch. I've been reading and learning here, for about a year, now. I would describe our lifestyle as definitely casual, and I have no idea how to describe my decorating style. Traditional, maybe?

We've begun work on our bedroom suite which includes the bedroom, a walk in closet, and a den. (Sadly, no master bath)

So far, I've painted the bedroom and the closet in Valspar Granite Dust, a soft gray with minimal bluish undertones (I think) and the trim a glossy white I think looks good. I painted the dresser and bedside tables a gloss black, and added new hardware. I painted the switchplate covers glossy white. I bought the lamps on the bedside tables.

Now I am looking for direction from you amazing people. I'd like general feedback, and have several specific questions. Oh, and we're doing the work ourselves, and the carpet has to stay until Spring at least.

1. The ceiling light in the bedroom has a smaller footprint than the original. Although we primed and painted, the surface looks different...smoother where it was covered by the light. Would a couple more coats of paint unify the ceiling surface?

2. What do we do about the doors? I'm going to remove the mirror on the door to the closet. Do you think these should be refinished, or painted white?

3. Assuming we'll be recarpeting the bedroom, do you think the den and closet floors should be refinished?

4. Window treatments? Hubby really likes the traverse rods (wierd, I know?!) Any suggestions would be helpful, though!

I'll also post pics of the den, so you can get an idea of what the whole space looks like. It's finished, as was the closet, with some strange plywood panelling, which we're going to tear out and drywall(which ought to be a hoot since neither of us is experienced!).

Now I'll add pics from before we moved in, a pic of the dresser before paint (while we were unpacking) and some in-progress pics. Be brutal. I can take it.

This is the view from the foyer into the den and then into the bedroom:

This is the sofa that came with the house, and that we'll be leaving in the space. Hubby sits on it nightly and watches tv while I surf Gardenweb. The wiring will all be hidden behind the drywall. We'll be recovering the sofa somehow. I love it. It is comfortable, fits the space, and converts to a twin sized bed. It was probably custom made.

This is looking from the den toward the living room, with the door shut:

And here's what the bedroom looks like this morning:

Here's the closet. I sanded, primed and painted it. Hate it. Will drywall here and add new closet fixtures after the den is done.

Thanks in advance, for any direction and ideas! I'm in awe of your beautiful homes!

Comments (13)

• nanny2a
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So, you're taking down the paneling? Have you considered painting it as a temporary measure? I ask because that paneling is the same paneling that my father had on both floors throughout his office building, He later converted the second floor into a two bedroom apartment for himself to live in. We successfully painted that paneling so that it would look more attractive for residential purposes, and it turned out quite well. Just seeing it in your house brings back old memories, his office was built in 1961. He also had the same doors and door trim that your den has, and the same style windows. His were old Pella windows, is that what yours are?

Just wanted to say that the bedroom looks lovely with what you've accomplished so far. The wall color is very attractive. I would paint the doors white. You need to sand those doors first, and apply primer, to get the best, durable surface to paint.

I couldn't see the problem with the overhead light, perhaps a light medallion would cover the area that stands out.

• torsade
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Nanny! Glad to bring some happy memories to you!
    I did sand, prime, then paint the panelling in the closet, but I don't like the result at all. I did that as a test, to decide what to do with the den walls. I don't like the result. So we've decided to tear out the panelling in the den, and learn to drywall. We're hands on people with no experience but lots of heart. It's the tiniest room in the house, so probably the place to start to learn this skill. We do have great, talented friends who will help guide us with the details.
    I don't know if the windows are Pella or not. They are original, metal casement windows and I don't plan to change them. They don't seem to have any drafts, and I'm just nostalgic like that. I will try to repaint them, but that will have to wait til Winter passes :)
    Thanks again, for the compliment. It's definitely a work in progress.

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

For the ceiling/light issue, can you add some kind of medallion to cover the difference in texture? I don't think paint will fix that.

Your panelling looks more like maple or birch to me, although I see that bit of plywood in the closet. Are you sure you want to remove that?

The closet looks generously sized for that era, and looks to be quite functional. What is it you hate about it? I'd have to be really, really bored to want to rip that all out and start over with drywall. It's just a closet.

I think floor length curtains would be lovely, and would make that window appear much larger. You could hang just about anything on a traverse rod...I think I even saw a traverse rod with clip ring-type hangers, so it doesn't have to be pinch pleats (although I'm a fan of pinch pleats).

The art over the bed looks a bit too small and hung too high, I think.

I have no opinion on what to do with the doors. I'm trying to make that decision in our house right now, and have no clue what to do...paint/stain/replace???? We have a mix of painted and stained trim, and have stained wainscotting in half of the house, but many of the doors are looking ratty. Sorry I'm not helpful with that.

The furniture repaints look good, and I'm loving that little couch in that nook!

Please send me that fancy switchplate that's on that wallpapered wall. I have the perfect spot for that!!

• bettymnz4
    13 years ago

Wow, what progress you've made so far.

I would paint the doors the same white you used on the rest of your trim.

If you're quite sure you DON'T want to paint the panelling, how about trying a short wall or nook to see how that turns out. If it is indeed different wood than the closet, if would turn out differently. (By the way, the painted closet is a VAST improvement over what you started with.)

I agree the artwork is too small and too high. Try lowering it to 2-3 inches above the headboard and keep an eye out objects to add to that wall to form a cohesive grouping.

My first instinct with the drapes would be to choose a tan from the bed covering; but I'm not sure with the lovely grey mist walls. I tend toward the tan/beige/ecru neutrals, so I am probably way off base for your room.

• torsade
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the help, Franksmom!
    I'll look into medallions for the ceiling fixture problem. I never thought of that before you two mentioned it.
    As far as the panelling, yes, it might be birch. We have a (50's) vintage Shasta camper that has the same panelling, so I'd thought of that. I don't know if I want to keep it, though. I love it in the camper, and love a good vintage look, especially if it's really vintage ;) I feel a need to modernize the look here somewhat, without losing the feel of the original home. The person who built this home was a contractor. He built the home, raised his family, was a terrific grandpa here, and died here. It's a small town, and I know the family, have seen all the family photos.
    I've got time to re-consider the panelling issue, I guess.
    I can't envision how to hang anything other than pinch pleated drapes on a traverse rod. Could someone show me that?
    And thanks for the replies. I was SO nervous, after lurking for so long!

• torsade
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, thank God you are all willing to help! I'm so grateful!
    I'll move the pic over the bed down, and I'm looking for more to add to that area...maybe some small round mirrors?
    The paint doesn't look the same in the closet, over the panelling, as it does in the bedroom. I used wood filler and sanded and sanded and sanded, but still didn't catch all the little imperfections.
    This is taken from inside the closet:

and this from outside the closet:

Also, I don't know how to get around the corners, where the panelling meets. See how it isn't mudded in, the way drywall is?

As for window treatments, I don't think a beige-ey color would work with the gray. I'd go with a smokey blue, but I'm stuck with this carpet until Spring, and that's too much blue!

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

When we bought this house, I had planned to paint all of the paneling, or rip it out, but in the year or so that we've been here, it's totally grown on me. Ours is more of a '70's swirly ?oak.

Anyway, I just saw a magazine article about a kitchen redo, where the owner kept all of that '50's paneling and wainscotting, but it looked completely modern. I can't remember if I saw that online or in print...maybe someone else will know, or you could google it?

Do a google search for "curtain track rod" and you'll see some examples of traverse rods with clip rings.

I really appreciate your want to keep the "feel" of the house, and I think that's great! And I think it can be done well, without it turning into a museum or kitchy.

You're doing a great job so far!

PS- love that user name!

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

Oh! I think I found it! Look at Better Homes and Gardens site, under "Well-Crafted Kitchen." I can't remember what issue the article was from, but I'm pretty sure that was it.

I don't think the closet looks bad at all. It looks like painted wood, to me, which isn't such a bad thing.

• bettymnz4
    13 years ago

If you'll be removing the carpet next spring, why not wait until you get the new flooring to choose your window treatment style? In the meantime you can be on the lookout for various treatments and see what catches your eye. The Nester has an interesting post on window mistreatments.

In the grand scheme of things, spring isn't THAT far away!!!! lol

• torsade
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I found the kitchen. You have a heck of a memory! Yes, they really made it look up to date. Our kitchen will be a whole nuther story. It's perfectly functional for us, but the cabinetry is by Jamestown Metal. It's in FANTASTIC condition, and sought after by some. Don't know what we'll do with that yet.
    This is a one owner, 60 year old home. It was all well done, but there have been no updates.
    Does anyone else want to weigh in on painting the panelling in the den, versus drywalling? I'm certainly willing to give painting the birch a shot, since the alternative is tearing it out. I can't think of a way to tie the room in with the bedroom, without painting.

• folkvictorian
    13 years ago

I wouldn't touch the paneling in the den. It's lovely and warm and beautiful wood. I'd update the light fixtures and the switchplates, too. I'd also replace the door knobs and cabinets knobs/hinges, but that's just me. I agree with those who said floor-length drapes would be good, too. Very nice house!

• torsade
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm not having any luck finding pinch pleat drapery that I like. Any thoughts on this fabric, and I'll make them?

Here is a link that might be useful: Possible drapery fabric

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I like what you have done and have my 2 cents to add...

1. I'd remove the den paneling. I like it in the closet and would keep it there. I'd hate to see you go to the trouble of painting it in the den, but then not liking the outcome. This sort of paneling does not paint well in large spaces. If you want to keep the built ins, then you could keep them in wood or a mixture of painted and wood.

2. I'd love to see your doors in a semi gloss black instead of the white.

3. The window treatment would look nicest in white or a very pale gray.

4. I am not liking your artwork for behind the bed. You need something in a larger format in that spot.

5. Once the carpet goes, your room will be 99% done.