Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I did it! Made dining chair slipcovers!

Posted by deeinohio (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 11:02

I have been wanting to do this forever, but was intimidated because I'm not an experienced sewer - just some throw pillows and occassionally curtain panels. With some serious internet research, and a few you-tube videos, I decided to just do it. I made 4 side chair covers and 2 armchair covers.

Keep in mind, please, I am NOT a sewer, and I subscribe to The Nester's philosophy that something doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful.

They still need some ironing and clipping, but I wanted to see them together. Please ignore the seweing paraphernalia. I'm going to make a couple of pillows in a mustard print for 2 of the chairs to match the ones in the kitchen.

newslipcovers008

I love the botanical series The Temple of Flora by Dr. Thornton and was thinking these two prints side by side on the long wall. What do you think?
Photobucket

Dee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I did it! Made dining chair slipcovers!

OMG I'm so impressed! They look fabulous! Pleated and everything - you are one brave wo-man!!!

I'm in the same sewing category as you - not a complete novice but never venturing into anything complicated. I've had slip covers for my dining chairs on my agenda for YEARS. You are my new hero!

o

They look great! I'm with dlm, you are one brave woman. Pleats are hard.

o

WOW! Those look great.

o

WHAT. Those are adorable. They remind me of lace-up ballet slippers. How classy! Great job with these...you should start a business :)

o

Beautiful job! They are gorgeous!

o

They look fun, in a pretty and tasteful way (not tacky or kitschy). I hope you have some absolutely delightful meals while sitting on them!!!

o

Very nice, great job. I can imagine the struggle with those pleats. That was a hard project for a beginner. They look terrific. I love the botanical art.

o

Good work, they look terrific, and I love the botanical prints.

o

So pretty! Great job!

o

You did a great job - so pretty!

o

Those are awesome...But I'd be afraid to let anyone sit on them ;-)

o

Great job, I am impressed!

o

I looked at the photo and thought what a shame it would be to slipcover those gorgeous chairs...and then noticed it was the "after" picture. They're perfect! Love the strappy ties in the back.

I think the prints will be great in there too.

o

You did a beautiful job! No one would know that they weren�t professionally done. You aced this!

o

Well done!

o

Great job! Isn't it fantastic to use something you've created!

o

Awesome job! very inspiring for the rest of us!

o

Dee, hate to disagree with you, but you are indeed a sewer! I do agree with what everyone else said-wonderful and impressive!

o

Thank you all so much for your kind words.

dlm: Deb, you SO can do this. Believe me. If I did it, anyone can do it. If you decide to take it on, I'll share what I learned (Translation: Keep you from making my mistakes).

marti8a, gmp3, bestyears, cat_mom, ghostlyvision, stinky-gardener, allison, kswl, fori, anniedeighnaugh, bethohio3, cooperbailey, cyn427: Thank you all for taking the time to make such wonderful comments.

cathy.d: My inspiration was Lauren Ross' slipcovers, and she used ballet ties; mine could have been a little shorter, though. And I laughed out loud at your going into business comment!

flowerchild: I did the pleats with a SW paint stick with a slot in it, while sitting in front of the television. Time-consuming, but easy. I know a professional would use some kind of pleater mechanism, but I didn't have one.

nanny2a: I know you're a wonderful seamstress, so I appreciate your remarks. You (and annie and any other seamstresses) will appreciate that only a novice like me would take on a project with denim fabric, self-lined knife pleats (6 layers) sown in a length (so sometimes an extra layer or two) and self-lined seat (2 layers) and use a cheapie Kenmore to sew the suckers together. Sewing through the thickness was the worst part of the project, and I really feared I wouldn't make it.

And, thanks to those who commented on the botanicals. I'm going to order them.

Dee

o

How pretty-both the covers and the prints! Three of those prints might look nice - unless they are each really (really) large.

o

Kudos!! They are gorgeous!

o

Wow, they're gorgeous! I love the way the slipcovers tone down the formality of the chair. So glad you posted this, as I have been wanting to do the same thing to a new CL dining set I just purchased but have felt a little intimidated due to my basic sewing skills. You have inspired me!

o

Thanks, javachik. I can order those prints in several sizes, so I think I'm going rather large, though the idea of 3....
Thanks, loribee and WMA89. And WMA, do it! Feel fere to email me if you need any help. As I said earlier, I learned a lot because I made many mistakes.

Dee

o

Great job! Those are wonderful. I keep seeing them all over blogland. Almost makes me want to get out my sewing machine and go for it.... I said "almost"!

o

Good job Dee! Am I remembering correctly that you recently retired (maybe a couple of years ago)? I bet you love having time and energy to take on little projects like this. Keep paving the way for me. I have a couple of years left.

I see all these little projects that I would love to try and my thoughts are "oh..gee...one of these days...when I need to fill up the 24/7 hours I will : paint something or refinish a piece or sew some drapes or make a quilt or watch movies all day.

Enjoy your lovely chairs.

Tuesday

o

OMG, they look just like something off of cote de texas. Love the whole European-chic vibe you have going on with the rug and the prints will be perfect. Post another finished pic when the prints are up.

o

I LOVE them!!!! I'm just starting to sew and this is perfect for my breakfast room chairs!!!

o

Thanks, Tuesday. You have a great memory! It will be 4 years this December I've been retired. I still wake up in the morning ecstatic my time is my own. I do, however, work a seasonal job about 5 months a year, some of it from home, to stash up some decorating funds.

Thank you, too, daisy and tinker. I know you've done larger projects, daisy; and tinker, I know you're willing to try anything! Make sure to share yours when you get them done.

Dee

o

Dee, I've only done square pillows and a window seat, but it gave me enough confidence to try more things! Did you buy a pattern or make a pattern? Are they stuffed with fiberfill or a cushion?

o

Tinker, they're not stuffed at all; the chairs are upholstered. I self lined the seat to make sure you couldn't see through it.

I (well, DH) took off one of the chair cushions, traced around it onto muslin, added about 3 inches, then folded it in half, and used that as a pattern, putting it on a fold so both sides looked alike.

As I mentioned earlier, I used a slotted paint stick to make the folds.

Feel free to email me if you have any other questions.

Dee

o

Dee- Congrats! Very well done...and such a great feeling, isn't it? :)

I like the prints, especially the one on the left. It looks great with the rug!

o

When you start selling these I'll need 6...absolutely divine!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here