Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kismet08_gw

Need advice - patio door coverings

kismet08
15 years ago

I think my vertical blinds have finally had it. I went to close them last night and lost another panel (darn thing broke at the clip, second one in 6 months). Now when fully extended, it no longer covers the entire door.

I want to replace the vertical blinds with thermal pinch pleat drapes, since the windows are a southern exposure and it gets quite warm in the nook in the summer. I was looking online and it seems I would have two options: a single patio door panel, or just do a pair as you would on a window. I like the look of the pair vs. a single panel that would gather at one end. My concern is that it might make it difficult to use the patio door? would the panel on the sliding side get in the way? Anybody have this on their sliding patio door?

My other problem is, I have two windows flanking that door (its a bay window, with the patio door in the center of the bay). Should I cover them all with floor length panels? Right now I have vertical blinds on the patio, and roman shades on the side windows.

Anybody else struggle covering these?

Comments (15)

• parma42
    15 years ago

We just hung ours and don't have tiebacks yet.

The area has a bay like yours. We used elbow corner connectors to keep the flow around the windows.

• kismet08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am LOVING that Parma! I never even thought of making it seemless between the windows like that. It looks fabulous!

• parma42
    15 years ago

Thanks!

We got the hardware at LNT but they are going out of business, so...

Country Curtains sells the same set-up as I'm sure do many other places.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    15 years ago

If you want a PAIR of drapes, you need to get them (and the rod) wide enough to clear the door so they won't get in the way. I have a 6 foot patio door and bought drapes 144" wide.

• jackwilsontexas
    15 years ago

Hi friends,
    We are glad to help you, that's why we are here. but you should give the exact measurement of patio covers

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

I have a regular patio door (three narrow panels though), and had to buy 4 panels of drapes to symmetrically cover. I do find that the curtains are a bit of pain in the neck - kids and cats like to play in/around/under/behind them. And I brush against them when exiting through the door. If I didn't find the curtains so pretty, I'd consider plantation shutters.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Is your patio door a slider or hinged? We have a slider, I put inside mount Romans on it like my windows. Unfortunately, the longest JCP had was 72" so it's long enough to cover the glass but leaves the wood at the bottom showing. If you can sew you can get extra fabric and move the metal rod at the bottom to lengthen it (I'm sure the cords are long enough). The only thing I don't like are the dangling cords - they seem to get tangled more than the window cords. Lowes has cordless line called Ambria - I'm even thinking of ordering those and then switching the fabrics (simple matter of untying the cords from the loops and then threading "cordless" cords through the loops, attaching to header with Velcro since both JCP and Ambria use velcro at the top). HTH.

• jackwilsontexas
    15 years ago

Patio cover is easy to make. but after making the patio cover
    we realize that our patio cover doesn't suit to our home. so my point is that first see the design according to home and than implement it.

• james.link08
    15 years ago

I am agree with jackwilsontexas,
    I already faced this problem in the life.
    Than I decide to let expert to do that work.

• james.link08
    15 years ago

I would like to put decorative concrete inside my house, however did not know if I could apply it to my staircase as well? Does anyone have any ideas regarding this? Any help will be appreciated.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Parma, I love your WT, so pretty!

Kismet, do you sew? Or have you found a good site for ready mades? Or do you want to hire custom mades? I think I would cover the windows to either side of the slider with the same drapes IF those windows are quite close. But that might require a very special custom made rod and HUGE curtains.

To get your drapes/curtains to clear your slider, you just have to mount the rod so it's several inches wider than your window, allowing room to pull the drapes clear back off the windows. Maybe there is room for drapes to gather up opened between your slider and the windows?

Another choice is to use some type of blinds (Roman, Balloon, Austrian, etc) that pull down from the top. That could look very pretty. The windows could also be grouped all together with one valance, again if they're close. Hard to advise without seeing a picture. Can you post one?

• jlj48
    15 years ago

I recently took down my white plastic vertical blinds (YEAH!) and hung a fantastic rod I found at Big Lots. Then I ordered washable thermal drapes on clearance from JC Penney for my slider. The rod extends past my door and it is hung on clip rings so they slide really easy. My only mistake, they are not quite wide enough, coverage is sparse. So I ordered a second pair and they should be arriving in a few days. Not sure how that will work out. I may have to have two panels sewn to the others, we will see. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. But we use our door alot. Kids run in and out all day as well as dog and we haven't had a problem. And they frame the sliders so nicely. So much nicer than what I had before. Good luck. If you go this route, just get them nice and wide.

• User
    15 years ago

I would love to see any and all pix of any and all solutions. Joanie38- yours in particular-(please?)

• james.link08
    15 years ago

Hello I would like to know that what is the right choice for making patio in my backyard?

Help and suggestions please

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Jameslink08, Try posting a brand new thread with your question. Even though sometimes these threads go 'off topic' we try not to start off in a whole different direction on someone else's question.
    Also, there is a patio and porch forum. When I had patio questions, I tried over there and they were pretty helpful.

Red

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida