Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zoey75

Assistance please on important liitle bathroom decisions...

zoey75
10 years ago

I still need to make these bathroom decisions that I need help with:

Tub drain - toe tap or cable drain, are there pros & cons to each?

Toilet - Kohler one-piece for sure but I am stuck between 2 choices. Santa Rosa 1.6 gpf or Adair 1.28 gpr. I like the look of the Adair but think I might need the 1.6 because of my kids & toilet paper?

Marble for countertop material? I have granite in my other bath but fell in love with the marble. I do not know anything about the durability of marble?

Thanks so much!!!

This post was edited by zoey75 on Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 10:58

Comments (11)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I love marble, but I would not use it on a vanity, expect perhaps a powder room. But in a room where you need to use toiletries and cosmetics, its too risky that it will etch or stain IMHO

• zoey75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! More advice welcome?

• athomeinvagw
    10 years ago

I have honed carrera marble in my master where I use perfume, makeup, hair stuff, etc. and I have not had any problems with it. I am not very careful and I have had no etching and the one stain that I had from the pollen of a Lilly disappeared on its own. It has been in for over 3 years and I have not resealed it, the installer said that he didn't seal it but he must have because any makeup, even dark eye liner, wipes off with a mr. clean eraser.

As far as the toilet, I have a Kohler Cimarron 1.6 in the kids bathroom and would prob not want to do the 1.28 but cannot say for sure as I have never tried one. I wish I had gone with a one piece, so much easier to clean!

Drains- I have had both and the toe tap was not as great as I had expected but I cannot remember why I didn't really like it. The kids currently have a drain that you have to twist up but it falls back down way too easily. The toe tap is prob the best option.

• zoey75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

athomeinva - We have the Kohler Cimarron 1.6 one piece in our master. We love it but it doesn't come in the 1.6 anymore. Thank you!

• yayagal
    10 years ago

We have the tall Kohler as we're tall people. As for the countertops, I loved solid surface. They can take a beating and still look good.

• domino123
    10 years ago

Cable drain. Can't tell you how many times I stubbed my toe (if I slipped) on the toe tap type (mine is the twist type). Darn plumber!

• roxanna
    10 years ago

newbie here, so feel free to disregard, but I most highly recommend a Toto toilet. Have had them for 4 years and NEVER have they clogged at all. Superior product!

• zoey75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all I will look into a toto.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

My problem with all of the lift type drain stoppers is that there's no way to cover them with a hair collection cover. As a result, I'm always having to pull the nasty soap scummy hair out with some sort of pick. I would rather have a trip lever with a flat screen in the tub that I could cover with a rubber hair collector.

• sprout26
    10 years ago

Get the marble.
    If it makes your heart sing, deal with the caution you need to take, especially if this is in your master bedroom where you are the primary user and can control what happens in there. Pretty trumps practical in that case. Now, if it were in a heavy use by children area, then practical would rule.

• peaches12345
    10 years ago

We intended to use marble in our master bath reno, but were highly advised not to by our marble/granite dealer and fabricator. First question they asked was does DH ever leave the cap off the toothpaste? 2nd question was do you apply makeup standing at the master countertop? We went with granite, but will use marble when we redo the powder room.