Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

My very first CL purchase!

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

Inspired by Annie et al, I decided to look on CL for Q headboards. The one we have now in our "antelope" guest room is headed to Maine for us to use there. It has a canopy and I can just see the muslin curtains swaying in the breeze.

In addition, we need a second Q headboard for the Maine guestroom.

So I saw this on CL. It is a little OTT but I like the patina. It is an antique and heavy brass. I think it will look like it has always been in the Maine house. I will pair it with lots of white linen and an oriental rug. I'm excited. Oh, and you can't beat these prices.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (21)

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Wow! Love it.

• porkandham
    10 years ago

Love it!

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I think it will look great in the "goth beach house." It almost has a steampunk look to it. Great find!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Huzzah! It's perfect for your house! Very interesting design in the brass.

Are the knuckles on the 3 posts in the foot board supposed to be like the knuckles on the 3 posts in the center of the headboard? Looks like 2 of the slipped...or was it made that way?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie, it took me a long time to see what you were saying. Sharp eyes! No idea. DH is in transit with it now.

For some reason, I reminds me of a tuba.

Thanks, Tex and Pork.

Gscience, it IS steampunk, you are right.

I bought it last night on line and I thought my DH would hate it (he was out playing poker) To me it is kind of ornate. He pointed out that it is partly because I am looking at the headboard and footboard at the same time - he actually liked it.

It was $300.

• Jules
    10 years ago

Watch out ... you may get hooked on CL. I certainly am. You can find so many fun, unusual pieces. And you're right about the prices - unbeatable.

I use the Craigslist+ Pro app on my ipad so I can easily scroll through photos and set up alerts for certain pieces I'm looking for (i.e., a rustic library ladder and Jenny Lind furniture at the moment).

I have some great CL stories. My favorite is a three cabinet Widdicomb set I found for $45 that has beautiful antiqued brass handles. Swoon!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know, DH's remark, when I told him I'd lost my CL virginity, was "uh oh, this can't be good".

I am still haggling over a second Q bed for me guest room here.

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

Great find! I think that will look fantastic in the ME house. When we bought our summer house I had to furnish it quickly and did a lot of CL shopping. My best haul of all came from meeting a woman through CL, then she introduced me to a friend of hers who was redoing her house - the friend sold me lots of great stuff for next to nothing! It was like "CL once removed."

• localeater
    10 years ago

Great find! Have you ever read Bedknobs and Broomsticks? The slipping of the knuckles that Annie pointed out, reminded me of that story. The use the knob of the bed and witchcraft to transport the bed into a magic carpet. I can just imagine a child spinning those knuckles, hoping for some magic to occur.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Marina. On top of everything else, it's so "green" to CL, which I like.

Local, I have heard of it, but never read it!

• arlosmom
    10 years ago

That's fabulous! Did it come with the side rails too?

• eandhl
    10 years ago

Very nice and I do see the curtains swaying in the breeze.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

You did good, Mtn! I can just see it in the setting you describe.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

What a lovely find. Our CL here is full of junk for the most part. You have to search endlessly to find anything good. I did find a mahogany dining room set with eight chairs and two buffet pieces that was a fraction of the price for a new set. We have it in the home we are renting out right now and I am considering having it moved here and having this set moved there.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Arlo, Eandhl, Ouside and Holly

• kiki_thinking
    10 years ago

We always jokingly refer the furniture we bought on Craigslist as the stuff we "inherited from great uncle craigsley."

• kswl2
    10 years ago

How did I miss this yesterday?? Very cool, it looks like an abacus! Are you going to polish it, or leave it as is? This is absolutely something a sea captain might have in his house!

The Only thing I ever bought from CL is a mahogany sideboard that is vintage, but not quite antique. Last year I got tired of my server taking up so much room in the DL when the top is folded out for serving. My mother had had it custom made by Baker in the sixties !for her DR, which was much bigger than mine. I found this on CL (and moved the server into my bedroom, and even mother approves). The sideboard is a very fine piece of furniture and I love it, but the circumstances that led to my acquiring it were sad. A couple divorced and she left the man and his 13 year old son in the house, which had fallen into disrepair because he was out of work, they were selling their furniture out of necessity, and I felt terrible. Handy guy pointed out that this would help them as they obviously needed money more than furniture. He started out at $900 and let me have it for $650, I think. I have since determined he could have gotten close to $1200 at a place like Stenella and sometimes wish I had paid more fairly for it. We have enjoyed it but I don't think I want to buy anything like that again :-(

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kiki, that is funny!

Aww, KSWL, I know what you mean. The house we had before this one, the one in NoJ, at the closing the wife cried. Their business had fallen on hard times and that was why they sold. After that I decided not to attend closings anymore, it was awful.

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

What a great bed! Are you going to polish the brass or just clean it up?

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

Love it but beware,
    I bought an old bed once that was said to be queen, but it was really double.
    If you think on it, back then they did not have queen but you usually can extend the rails out to make a queen fit.
    Or sauder the pieces on the head, footboard.
    Maybe this has been done

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chibimi,

Thanks, I don't think I will polish it; the color is one of the things I particularly like about it.

Lyban,
    I wondered the same thing --- pretty hard to find an antique Q. It was already retrofitted by the PO