Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fl_person

Cellular (Accordion) Blinds for Large Sliding Door?

FL Person
10 years ago

I have a 12' sliding glass door (three panels) leading from my living room to my lanai. I've been living in a fish bowl for 3+ years and decided I need to order blinds.

I do not want curtains nor do I was dated tradition vertical blinds. I went to both Lowe's and Home Depot and in both instances, the sales person was merely a monkey flipping through a book. They couldn't answer any of my questions regarding durability, warranty, track installation, valances, etc. Basically, if it were a self serve kiosk, I would have been just as well off.

I ordered my window shades online but since this is such a large opening and an expensive shade (about $1K), I'd rather buy from a "big box" because I know they'll make it right if it doesn't fit properly. If I bought online and had a problem, shipping becomes a huge hassle.

I chose Home Depot for no other reason than it saved me from driving back to Lowe's. I was shown the Bali sample book and paid a $50 deposit for measurements. After measurements, I have to go back and place the order.

The choices are 3/8" single cell, 3/8" double cell and 3/4" single cell. I'm leaning toward 3/8" double cell. It will be light filtering and slides only in one direction. Color will most likely be Frost (white).

Just looking for any personal experiences with coverings for large doors and large cellular shades in general. Anything I should be concerned about with vertical cellular shades? Single cell vs. double cell? Larger cell vs. smaller?

TIA.

Tipsy

Comments (13)

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

My wife used to sell window fashions.

I've installed quite a few. I think those vertical cellular blinds are made be MB Alta. They certainly look better that the vertical blinds. I wouldn't reccomend them to someone who had pets, or children.

The nicest, but most expensive are the Hunter-Douglas Luminette. This is two pieces of sheer material with fabric vanes bonded between the sheers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Luminette

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

Did you have a choice between an exterior mount and an inside mount?

I've been looking at honeycomb blinds for my new, wide kitchen window. I'd absolutely go with the wider size -- 3/8" -- for a slightly better proportion for how wide your slider is.

I could see the difference between that size and the smaller when I looked at the original honeycomb shade that covered the kitchen windows (actually 2, side-by-side with about 3 or 4 inches of metal separator) compared to the honeycomb shade with my small entry door's glass window insert, just a few feet away. Smaller was fine for the entry door window covering; bigger was better for the larger expanse at the kitchen windows

(I saw the Luminette a year or so ago -- or at least a version of it at Next Day Blinds. They looked sleek, but they also put me in a kinda MCM mind-set, for some reason.)

And I'm a bit disappointed in the big-box stores' service options, too -- I want more info than they have, and I want to be assured on the proper measuring and install, esp. if I have the option of an inside mount.

• FL Person
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not installing them myself, as I did the online window blinds. I'm buying them from Home Depot, so the onus is on them if there's an issue. The contracted company that is doing the measurements is doing the installation.

They will be inside mount and as far as the stacking, it will be a non-issue. It's a three panel slider but it was a custom installation...the panel on the right is fixed. The center and left panels slide left and are "hidden" behind the lanai wall.

Thanks foe the feedback. I will consider the 3/4" cell for better proportion to the large opening. Oh, and no kids or pets in this home :)

Tipsy

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I have both sizes in my home and I prefer the 3/4" size for larger windows as it is more of a newer look. Please post pictures!

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

you mention "lanai" so not sure if you are in Hawaii or other tropical locale. I heard that the cellular shades can harbor bugs, who like to hide in the cells. Not sure if it's really true but you might want to research. We are installing two three-panel stacking doors and I think we are going to install plantation shutters that stack/slide in front of the doors.

• FL Person
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm near Tampa...haven't heard about bug issues but I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks.

Tipsy

This post was edited by tipsymcstagger on Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 9:02

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I think you will be happy with them.

I had friends who had them on windows at their beach house. They worked smoothly and seemed to be the perfect option for large openings.

• justsaying
    10 years ago

I have double cell (Bali) on all my windows and I haven't seen one single bug in them, but then I hardly ever see any bugs in my house. They sure help with insulation at the windows. Highly recommend the double cell; Bali is nice and soft (not papery feeling) and can be "scrunched up" and they go right back into shape.

• justsaying
    10 years ago

I have double cell (Bali) on all my windows and I haven't seen one single bug in them, but then I hardly ever see any bugs in my house. They sure help with insulation at the windows. Highly recommend the double cell; Bali is nice and soft (not papery feeling) and can be "scrunched up" and they go right back into shape.

• theresa2
    10 years ago

I had cellular shades in a previous house. Very rarely a bug would take residence in the cells. I removed said bugs by running the vacuum cleaner nozzle over the shade repeatedly, directing the bug down and out.

• deedza
    2 years ago

Fl Person...I was wondering how your blinds turned out for you and are there any pros/cons you'd do differently?

I too am looking for the same fix as you but for one set of sliding glass doors for a bedroom.

• FL Person
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Nothing I'd do differently. I agree with a previous comment that they could be vulnerable to pets and/or children. But I've had zero problems and I'd do it the same again.