Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamie1s

On to dining room windows -- please advise me!

Jamie
10 years ago

DR has 2 small windows flanking a door. Between the bay shape and the porch roof, little light actually makes it beyond the alcove.
In good weather with long hours of daylight I am happy with the scarves you see and nothing else. If the black glass bothers me at night I turn on the white Christmas lights on the porch. This is an every day room even though it is the formal dining room. I don't want it to feel at all untouchable.

But the good weather is over and it's dark early - very early; we are at the eastern edge of our timezone. We won't open the door until spring. I want to warm up the tone in the room. The room is very small, and the windows are small.
The picture shows a long, trim colored panel on the left, and, on the right, some shutters. I have glass for the shutters -- one panel is propped up.

Here are some options I'm considering. I'd love to hear your other ideas or comments on mine.

1. Apron length, trim-colored panels on the windows. I like the idea of short panels because everything is so tiny. It's not even easy to manuever around to clean. But what do I put on the door?
Would it look off to have trim-colored panels on the windows and something else on the door? What?

2. Shutters on the lower window. With this - use existing colored glass inserts? Get new glass inserts? Shutters should be trim color/an accent color?
Use fabric inserts? With shutters, would short panels (long enough to cover the top of the window and meet the shutter) look good? I'm thinking trim-colored raw silk tab tops -- would want them to be full at the bottom, billowing out where they meet the shutters.

I'm liking this option best, but the details escape me and I still have no idea how to coordinate the door.

3. I could use a single, longer panel on each window pulled to the side, but that seems to make the door even more the center of attention and I don't know what to do with the door. And I don't want to emphasize the door in the winter.

I'm leaning toward a cream color raw silk, or a nice polished cotton for fabric. The living room has cream/trimcolored colored linen panels. They are long and droopy on taller windows. This room seems to call for something with more body and less scale, albeit in a small home cohesiveness from room to room is very important. But this IS a different room.....

The available space is the space within the alcove. That's why I'd like a fabric that comes into the room a bit, like a petticoat. Does raw silk have the body to do this? Would I have to have some netting or something sewn into the bottom half of the curtain to avoid droop?

Thanks for any thoughts you care to share.

(edited to correct photo)

This post was edited by...

Comments (6)