Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamie81

Color flow with blue kitchen

jamie81
10 years ago

I need color suggestions for living room walls that will coordinate with a blue/gray kitchen.

Currently the kitchen is an Eddie Bauer color called rope, that is a grayish blue. The rest of the main floor is yellow or gold. Love the kitchen color, but the gold does not work. Where the hall opens into the kitchen it looks awful.

It is a center hall colonial, so the LR, hall and stairway are all visible from the LR. The hall is visible from the kitchen. Floors are oak, and the sofa is gray.

I am thinking the hall could be a lighter or darker version of the LR color, but what goes with the blue? Beige? With a dark gray sofa? Should I go with gray walls?

Nothing looks right to me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (14)

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

funny! i had a gray/blue kitchen in my last house which was a c/e colonial. i like using a different color in every room, so i did! kitchen was courtyard shadow by valspar.

i had lemon chiffon a very soft pale yellow in our foyer and hallway leading to the kitchen. (can't remember the maker of the lemon chiffon)

also off the foyer was our office, which was pea soup green (Glidden Appalachian trail)

i had RH Flax in our dining room. (medium/soft chocolate brown) dining room was open to living room which was RH Hyacinth (Purple!)

and i had RH Silver Sage in our family room and hallway off the other side of the kitchen.

i think as long as you choose colors that are of the same saturation it will work. all my colors were different, but muted in the same way. and with the exception of the warm masculine office all were on the cooler side, though the silver sage is really a chameleon. :)

here are a ton of pics:

front foyer

office off of foyer:

• jamie81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What a gorgeous home Maggie! Thanks so much for all the pictures. I think my main problem is that there is no trim around the doorways, so the colors actually meet at the corners. And my yellow is much darker, more of a gold. I will have to try out a soft yellow and see how that looks

Do you know if the RH Silver Sage is close to BM Saybrook Sage? Your dining room color is beautiful too. I will have to see if I can find something similar in a BM color.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Jamie--do you have kitchen pictures ?

Beautiful Maggie.

Please forgive me Jamie, but I have to ask Maggie 1 question about the baby gate.

Maggie--I see that the gate is attached with plastic ties to the newel post. How is it attached to the wall?

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Maybe soft yellows and creams paired with lighter versions of the blue/gray in your kitchen?

• jamie81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joanie, I am going to try a soft yellow and see how it looks. I had thought of cream, but I think I want more color than that. Unless I just do the hall cream and go with something darker in the living room?

The blue in my kitchen is more blue than gray, otherwise I think going lighter would be the best option. I'm afraid a lighter version of that would be too "baby blue"

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

thanks everyone.

the BM Saybrook sage is not as similar to RH Silver Sage as the name might imply. the saybrook sage is more saturated than RH silversage, and it's more green than the silver sage. (i have a BM fan deck, and the RH silver sage is committed to memories like the back of my eyelids) hehe

on the bottom of the stairs we screwed the gate into the 2x4 and tied the 2x4 to the railing with cable ties. on the other wall we screwed into the white trim because it's easy to patch up white trim. it's not as easy to patch natural oak. :)

as for not having trim... i had a couple instances where one paint directly met another. it was the blue and the silver sage. you can kind of see one joint in the corner by the back door on picture 3. as long as you do a really clean job and pick colors that complement each other i think it looks fine!

RH Silver Sage:

BM Saybrook Sage:

for what it's worth, in the RH silver sage collection, the "Pale Silver" is also really nice - it's a barely there version of the silver sage. we had that in our master bath.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Thank you Maggie.

• jamie81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all your help Maggie. I really love your colors.

I wonder if Sherwin Williams or BM could match the RH colors for samples. I would really like to try out the Silver Sage and the Pale Silver.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Apparently (I have no proof, but I've heard) BM Gray Wisp is the same as RH Silver Sage.

Yellow and blue are complementary colors so they naturally "go" together, but maybe you just have the wrong yellow/gold? I'm not familiar with Eddie Bauer paint colors but maybe you could try a more subtle creamy yellow like (BM) Windham Cream or Rich Cream?

If you could post a couple of photos, we could probably give you better feedback.

• msrose
    10 years ago

Sorry to be off topic, but I'm wondering what kind of floors you had in your previous house, maggiepie?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Here is eddie bauer "rope"

It looks very gray, not blue at all.

It is such a neutral that almost any color will go.

But if you want, you can check out design-seeds.com and look for some color combo inspirations.

• jamie81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie, its much bluer than that. As for the design seeds, how do you find color combos that go with a particular color? Do you just scroll through them all? It doesn't seem to show any specific paint colors...

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

our floors were just your basic, traditional site finished red oak. no stain, no scraping... just plain old polyurethane finish.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

jamie, can you post a pic? I'd like to see how blue it is as the sample above isn't blue at all.

Anyway, at design-seeds.com you can select palette search and play with the RGB sliders to create a color close to your walls and then search and it will pull up a number of them that use that color or close to it. You can keep selecting the "similar colors" to find more.

Or you can search by theme.

Once you find a color you like if you put your mouse over the sample, it will give you the html code for it which you can then plug into encycolorpedia and it will return paint brands and colors that are close. Or you can just try to match it by eye. Or just use it as inspiration for a direction to go in. It doesn't need to be a perfect match.

So I put in a close color to the "rope" above and these are just some of what I came up with.

Grays and greens:

Taupes:

Blue and brown:

Coral:

Gray and brown: