Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Size Blinds to Purchase

Posted by aloha2009 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 10:37

I have an 8' wide x 5' high picture window constructed with two 2' wide sliders on the ends and a 4' stationary window in the middle with drywall wrap around the entire window ensemble.

I want to use faux blinds but not sure which way I want to go as far as the sizes. Unless I get an expensive custom, I'll have to get at least 2 blinds.

Would you
1. Purchase 2 blinds and have to open up a 4' blind to allow a free flowing breeze.
2. Purchase 3 blinds (2', 4', 2') and only up the ends and keep the blaring south sun out but allow air flow.
3. Go custom

Option 1 I'm concerned it may look funny and point out that I was too cheap to purchase a custom 8' blind.

Option 2 MAY look more purposeful having blinds specific for the operable ends of the windows.

Option 3, could get very expensive for a room rarely used and the window itself may need replacing due to its poor quality. Even though custom, I'm concerned about the mechanism failing when the blind is adjusted up and down over the years. It's been awhile since I checked and most didn't guarantee the blind when it got that wide.

Background info...We need a window covering for privacy mostly. This room is mostly used for guests. Since the view to the outside is just the street view, I like the idea of blinds to diffuse the lack of view.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Size Blinds to Purchase

Either way you go, the blinds will be custom. I don't think HDepot stocks blinds that can be cut down to 2' wide. But I could be wrong!

If the 2-4-2 is less expensive than the 8', and you need maximum privacy yet allow some air thru the room, then the 2-4-2 would be a better option. I would not raise and lower the 2' sections, just open the slats for air flow.

If you choose to go with the 8' I don't think you'd ever want to raise and lower it. Again, just open the slats when you want air flow.

If you go with the 2-4-2, I think you want to order them hung on the same header. That way you'll know they'll always hang straight and evenly.
As for replacing the window......a new window in the future shouldn't affect any blinds you buy now. The actual window opening wouldn't change.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here